“I loved this place...Huge Suites”

UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lowell
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed here for two nights while attending the 2011 Carbon Smarts Conference at the Inn. The staff was accommodating and very hospitable. When I arrived, I was graciously given a complimentary upgrade to a King Suite. Holy moly, the room was huge. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very quiet.

The meeting rooms were spectacular and the food was amazing.

The only downfall of the place is all the construction around the downtown Lowell area. It makes it hard to get anywhere fast, especially during morning and evening rush hours. It took me 25 minutes to go 6 blocks. But, with that said, it does not reflect on my review because the Inn has no control over the city construction.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ripcurled1
There are newer reviews for UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Coming here on a business trip to the area, I stayed here for 5 days. My first impression stepping into the front door lobby was that this must be a swanky place. More or less I would consider everything else there fairly average. The room I had was what I would consider average as well. It was clean and the bedding was excellent. The bathroom is large and is certainly handicap accessible. Most everything there was typical of most hotel rooms. It had two beds, the bathroom, a closet, some bureaus, a desk with a phone, a nice tv, a night stand, and an alarm clock. It all sounds fairly standard does it not?

They also have robes in the closet and will replace them daily if you so request. I did not take advantage of this but I liked the idea. Something else I thought I would like was a booklet on places around town that included places to eat and shop. Unfortunately I did not find it useful.

The Lowell/Chelmsford area is not a place I particularly cared for. It’s built up and extremely congested. There is no grass or trees and if there is someone planted it. The only cheap places to eat are the millions of Dunkin Donuts. If you don’t like DDs or get sick of eating it after a while good luck finding something else besides a Pizza joint. Also, don’t count on the hotel for meals. That 50 Warren is never open. Toward the end of my stay I did come across a Market Basket but their premade meals and sandwiches are not that good at all. Your best bet is a gas station but you’ll pay a premium price there.

Please note! The “complimentary breakfast/coffee” at this hotel could not be more pitiful.
I was somewhat discouraged they didn’t have a pool as well. Something I tend to look forward to when I stay at a hotel. The walls were also thin. I could easily hear someone the next four doors down.

I would recommend this hotel to someone from around the area. Someone who knows how to get around and is familiar on where to get some dang food! I would not recommend this place for families and only for business if you don’t have to be anywhere early in the morning or late at night. If you go here, go alone, just you being miserable is enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HT-Advisor
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel for five nights to attend a conference there. It is centrally located, and a flightline van can easily take you to Boston-Logan and Manchester airports. Staff is excellent. This was a former doubletree hoter, and purchased by UMASS. The hotel is on the 1st and 2nd floors, while top floors are used for college residential hall. While the students seem to observe the rules, it can get noisy occationally. One big probelm is the room. I stayed in a room on the 2nd floor. It has a nice desk to work, enough lights, but I had to move TV cabinet to get power for my PC. There was a coffee maschine on the desk, but no power outlet (while some other rooms have four power outlets on the desk alone). the staff at the front desk told me that I should bring the machine to the bathroom to get electricity. As it is a part of a convention center, this area should be improved.

Internet connection (both LAN and Wifi) was OK.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I were to stay for two nights, August 26-28. We checked in on Friday and went to see a show in the nearby park, but with Hurricane Irene approaching we were becoming increasingly anxious about getting home to Long Island. We returned to the hotel after the show, but decided to leave that night to beat the bad weather and possible bridge closings. The staff was incredibly understanding and even credited us the full cost.

There weren't alot of extra amenities at the hotel (workout room is small, no pool) but the room was nice and perfect for our needs, the concert in the park was great,and the neighborhood looked interesting. Unfortunately we didn't have alot of time to explore, but I hope we have the chance to return in the near future. We will definitely return to UMass.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IGAK
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We came to see a concert at Boarding House Park and could walk there.
Very accomodating staff & great value. would recommend it highly & would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This is the second time in two years that I have attended a course at UMASS Lowell. The previous time I stayed at another hotel with better ratings but decided to give this place a chance as it is conveniently located downtown and near the seminar. The hotel staff I encountered were all very nice and helpful. The rooms were "clean" but very outdated and had scuff marks on the walls and stains on the carpet. Old CRT TV and no artwork on the walls. In addition, my soap and shampoo was not replaced or refilled the entire week of my stay and some days the towels would be replaced and others not. I also found a missing toiletry item I had brought with me. Not a terrible expensive item but the idea that room service would take it is discomforting.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Located within the Lowell Historical Park, an Industrial heritage park.
It's a large Conference Hotel. Rooms a bit dated but clean. Staff friendly and helpful.
Convenient to walk to Boarding House Park for the opening Show of their annual season of
"Festival in the Park".
Chris Isaak was the Star attraction.
If you haven't seen him perform before, you don't know what you are missing.
One of the greatest live performers you are likely to see.
Rock & Roll, Ballads, Love songs and he can really sing.
Lots of humour. Really gets the audience involved.
A sunny evening sitting on a blanket or sand chair with your own picnic.
What more could you ask for ?
Mustn't forget to spend a day wandering the old mills and a canal boat ride.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LordAntony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowell
Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford
Best Western Plus Chelmsford Inn
Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
The Stonehedge Hotel and Spa
TownePlace Suites Boston Tewksbury/Andover

Been to UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!