“Great location, nice clean hotel”

UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lowell
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great location, nice clean hotel”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

We've normally stayed at hotels in Tewksbury or Andover when visiting family in Lowell but were happy to try out the Comference Center. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the restaurant and bar area looked welcoming. The staff was also very helpful.

Only critique: we paid a bit extra for a room with canal view and while the view was nice, there were just a couple chairs tossed out into the patio area for furniture. An outdoor table to go with the chairs would have made it all the more inviting--and four chairs rather than two would have allowed us to have family over.

Also, there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night. The front desk person said it was set off by the baker and gave us a discount. I hope it's not a regular occurance because we'd like to go back!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank DCCarrie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My boyfriend and I were in town for a Lowell Summer Music Series concert. Since this was the only hotel in town and we didn't want to have to pack pack up and drive out of town after the show, we reserved a night at this hotel. Our king room had a sweet private patio overlooking the canal which we enjoyed both in the evening and during our morning coffee. The room was clean, quiet and roomy. The bed was immaculate and loaded with high quality pillows. The shower / tub was very clean and had great water pressure. The convenient Keurig coffee machine was nice in the morning -- I went out to the front desk to get more coffee and was happy to see Starbucks all ready for us. Ariel and Evan at the front desk were great. My request to leave one of our cars at the hotel (I was at the tail end of business trip) was agreed upon. This was an excellent choice when staying in Lowell. I would definitely chose this hotel again.

Room Tip: King patio room was great -- room 115 was near lobby but very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrassFan
dublin
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here three nights, only booked for one, left for a night and came back for two. First night stay was a lovely room and very comfortable beds. Lighting was poor,no main light so hard to read at night.
When we returned we were on a different side, which is used for students attending USlowell university, room was not quite as good ripped lamp shade and not as good looking as other side,also some students still there and noisy late at night,noise running up and down corridor.
Ate breakfast first morning and was fine,slow wait for it though.
I would use this hotel again but only if i was able to get a room on the side not used by students, so i would recommend that you request this when booking.

Room Tip: not the student side
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank portinscale
Brattleboro
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here three night on a business trip. Was intially put on the 4th floor, facing a canal.

The Good:
View- Initial room had an Amazing view, looking down at a canal, waterfall, and some of Lowell's many art exhibits.
Location- Great location, downtown Lowell, by the historic district, great restaurants, and interesting museums.
TVs- All rooms had brand new 32" flat screens, with plenty of channels, including channels in HD, which many elite hotels don't have yet.
A/C- Ice cold A/C
Lobby- Upscale lobby design with business center room that provided free computer and printer usage
Beverages- Free coffee keurig type maker in the room, and free drinks/coffee in the lobby all day.

The Bad:
Noise- There was frequently groups of loud people walking by and standing outside the door, late and night and early in the morning. Also, starting at 7:30 in the morning, I was woken up by this loud sound of what I believe was maids rolling their broken down carts down the hall. Never heard carts so loud before.
Lighting- The lighting in the rooms and bathrooms was lacking, and could use a big upgrade, especially in the bathrooms.

The Ugly:
Spiders- My first room had lots of little spiders, and I left with a few bug bites. Fortunately, staff at the front desk handled it wonderfully, and immediately gave me a new room when I mentioned it. The new room had no bugs.
Stains- The bedsheets had a number of stains.
Lampshade- The inside of the lampshade in my first room was ripped to pieces, and looked terrible.

Overall: The certainly wasn't the Ritz, but for the price, was a decent option. Lowell has come a loooong way as a city, and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Oliver M
ICC-Hotel_Rep, Manager at UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced at our property. We strive to have an enjoyable and stress free stay. We hope that if you are in the area again you will give uis another chance.
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This was the second time I had been to this hotel for a conference. The previous time, it was not owned by the same company. I will say that when I entered the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The room appeared clean, and fresh. It definitely looked better than it had 4 years ago..... until I looked a little closer. It seems that they did some work to the room, but forgot about the bathroom. This was to be my biggest sticking point on this hotel, the whole trip. The tile in the shower had some mold/mildew in the grout and the curtain was well worn. The counter top looked like someone had chiseled pieces out of the front of it and the lighting was terrible. There were two lights next to the mirror, and that was it. Also, when you flushed the toilet, water would splash out of it. The worst part for me was the ceiling. I looked up in the bathroom, and saw a moldy ceiling that had obviously been painted to try to cover up the mold. There were also a couple places where the ceiling appeared to have fallen away, and instead of repairing it, they again, just painted over it. On my last day, when I got in the shower, it smelled like sour towels, as though it had been wiped out by a towel the cleaning staff had been using for a week or two. Disgusting!
As far as the rest of the room..... The bed was pretty comfortable, and so were the pillows. The only problem I had was that the other queen bed in the room had a brown/yellowish stain on the comforter/cover. Thank goodness I had another bed. I would have been calling the front desk if that would have been where I had to sleep.
No one treated me poorly here, and the front desk personnel were friendly. I did not eat in the restaurant, so I cannot speak on the quality of the food.
The only way I would stay here again was if I was attending another conference. You cannot beat the convenience and the conference rate on the room was not too bad either.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AA7364
ICC-Hotel_Rep, Manager at UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
We strive to make your hotel experience as pleasant as possible and we failed to achieve that with your recent stay. We value all feedback, but especially poignant critiques as your's because it helps us fix the mistakes that we make. I will work with the housekeeping and maintenance teams to solve the issues you have presented. We apologize for not meeting the standards we expect of ourselves or our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Lowell hotels

Cape Cod
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference this week. The price was excellent, the location also very good -- near restaurants and shops. The room was clean, well appointed, and quiet. Thanks to the front desk staff for moving me to another room once I realized that the first room was right over an air conditioning unit.

Conference facilities were nice and worked well for our group. I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant twice. For was very good and reasonable priced, but the service seemed a bit disjointed-- one server for the whole dining room.

Would definitely come back on business.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Stonington
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The service was friendly and all the people were kind. It is a great location close to everything in down town Lowell, MA. The Ball room is very large and spacious. Convenient location to get to off of the Lowell connector. They did a great job since it was a very busy week end in Lowell.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowell
Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford
Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chelmsford Inn
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Stonehedge Inn
Stonehedge Inn
#1 of 1 in Tyngsboro

Been to UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!