“Don't bother with this one”

Chia Laguna - Hotel Village
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chia
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't bother with this one”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The first thing to say is the hotel is clean and tidy .

That's the plus the down side is this is not a resort its a hotel complex stuck out on a head land with nothing around so you trapped and hell it's expensive unless you like a beach and pool and that's it don't bother.

The food looks tremendous but also looks like a refugee camp with all the flys in the food not attractive also don't come here on a budget you need some money to survive also the waiters are very slow half an hour from order to beer and could do with a lesson on smiling.

Only been here two days and wish I choose elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Monique V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
bucks
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Just back from a lovely break in Sardinia, the resort was lovely and set in stunning grounds. The pool areas are very nice, towel service don't start till 9 do u haven't got to get up at sun rise to get a bed! They also help u if u don't get a bed, they either find u one and don't really beds being saved! The pools are very clean and child friendly. The buffet restaurant is very nice, breakfast and dinner always a lovely choice. There are other restaurants within the Laguna, always serving lovely food with menus changing often. They have a kids restaurant for up go 36months, the selection of food in there is amazing, little steaks to salmon and pastas, its very enjoyable for them. The resort offers 5* nightly entertainment, starts off with shows for the kids and then adults into the night, they put so much effort in to them, from music to costumes and lighting and everything really.
They offer a lovely little train shuttle to the beach which goes every 15 mins, such a good ride.
The beach is amazing, the sea is so clear I had pictures they people said I could of been in a pool. But the sand is like hot coals!!! The restaurant there is amazing, the pizza and pastas are lovely, and offer big selection of seafood.
We had a garden room, which was very small, even though we had a cot in ours it was a tight squeeze! We also had snakes outside our room, a bit scary with an 8 month so we asked around if there was any danger and no one seemed to know! The resort is very spread out and it's nice
walking around places seeing everything'.
The down side to this place is the price of everything, beers and wines were crazy. I would say the staff were friendly and helpful but being English we never go showed this, often I was stood at the bar on my own waiting, staff would see me while finishing there job then someone could come stand next to me and get served first, one occasion 3 people got served in front of me with me being first! I tflund this all over the resort which isn't nice. Also there is a bar when the entertainment is on, although they work hard there isn't enough staff to cope with table service and bar service, again being English went against me. 1 evening I sat with my wife and mum and dad, an Italian couple sat next to us after, our order was 1 large beer and a Campari and soda, waitress went to the other table they ordered large beer and Campari and soda, so we ended up with a half pint half of that being froth as well, and what was only a little bigger than a shot of Campari and soda, in amazement the Italian couple got a "large beer" and a massive Campari also a bowl of crips and olives, we were given nothin having ordered exactly the same!!
All in all was a lovely resort but being treated like that put my family off a lot. So if considering going I would advise to brush up on some Italian and DON'T SOUND ENGLISH!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank americankyle
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My family (22 mo old twins, 4 yr old and my husband and I) have just returned from 10 days at the Village hotel in the Chia Laguna resort, booked via Just Sardinia who I can whole heatedly recommend as well. Wanted (needed!) a kid friendly place but also to holiday somewhere we were interested in going to and chose this resort after finding the nearby Forte Village wasn't actually suited very well to families of our size.

ROOM: We had two interconnecting cottage rooms, ground floor, which were spotlessly clean and quite roomy compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Italy. The twins were provided bottle warmers, cots, baby changing tables and baby baths (one of the rooms only had a shower) and could have been given prams had we needed them for our stay (Quinny prams at that!). They were cleaned very well every day and the air conditioning worked well. Was nice to have a small fridge for drinks and etc that we bought at the store across the road from the resort. Also nice to have a small private garden and sitting area outside for evenings when the kids were in bed.

RESORT: The resort grounds are so clean, as is the gorgeous beach and the pools. Plenty of chairs at the beach (and pools), nice little place to get reasonably priced drinks and ice creams and sandwhiches delivered to your sun lounger from the amazing panini place near by. The kids pool was quite quiet and the play area there could be updated a bit but was a nice option besides the beach. Larger pool was nice and there was also a smaller, quieter pool for those seeking some quiet. Main square was a nice place to go in the evenings after dinner and there were a few little shops (clothes, Italian made items, toys...) too.

ACTIVITIES: We aren't the type who would leave our kids in the (free for 3 and ups) kids club but I did go to some of the arranged activities (pizza making, etc) with my son who enjoyed them but admittedly was a bit lost as the majority of the kids were Italian and not English speaking (the staff however do mostly speak English). Was very impressed with the staff working with the kids who all really made my son feel special, greeting him and chatting him up all of the time (although sometimes 3 or 4 would stop to talk in one meal which was maybe a bit much). Every night there was kids entertainment in the main square from 9.15 and then more adult focussed shows from 10. The kids loved the shows but again, were a bit lost at times due to the language barrier.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD: The first cpl of days we were upgraded to the Terraza restaurant as there was a large group at the resort. The views and atmosphere were nice, service was good but I actually preferred the food at the buffet Bouganville restaurant which is where you eat as part of half board if staying at the Village. Every night at Bouganville was different, even having sushi one night, lots to chose from and very good quality. Drinks quite affordable-lrg btl of sparkling water was 3 Euros, quite a few wines from 16 euros and up. Fanta was 3.50 which I thought was a bit much but still reasonable. The childrens restaurant was a nice thing to have in principle but probably better used for lunch times. The poolside restaurant was quite expensive (10 euros for a ham and cheese sandwhich, 16 euros for a club sandwhich, 12-18 euros for pasta dishes) but also had good quality food for lunch. Was not at all impressed with the Luna pizzeria and restaurant, was actually some of the worst pizza I have had in my life which was such a disappointment. Also thought the surcharge you had to pay to use the other restaurants was quite a lot. Panini restaurant was AMAZING. Lovely to have the gelataria in the square, went there every night for ice cream (only 2 euros for a big scoop!) and coffee (3 euros for a cappuccino which is very reasonable).

The hotel manager was born and raised near London, very hospitable and always welcoming and making sure we were ok. Did find the front desk staff a bit hard to deal with due to lack of English fluency, also didn't seem particularly knowledgable about the resort which was a bit of a surprise. Otherwise all other staff were lovely, especially the waitstaff who all work very hard and make an effort to remember and welcome you. You are definitely made to feel very important here and it is a lovely place. Will definitely be back when our kids are a bit older and we can enjoy some of the other activities (bike riding, football, etc.).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Seattle2London
Milano
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Second time in this resort in the Oasi space. Beatiful just renovated rooms very well furbished and spacious. The village is totally integrated in the surronfing flora and fauna with beatiful and natural colours. Staff and hotel management very friendly and willing to make you feel at home. Outstanding beach and facilities.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fd709
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

we went to Chia Laguna for the half marathon and had a fantastic time. We could not fault the resort or the staff. One of our party was unwell & the Hotel arranged a taxi to the nearest chemist. They could not have been more helpful or welcoming especially Gianfranco the manager. The food was excellent and there was plenty of variety on offer. Our rooms were comfortable and spotlessly clean. The views are amazing and the surrounding area totally unspoilt. I would definitely recommend the resort.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lesley129
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed at Chia village for 1 week, myself and my husband in one apartment and my parents in another. We booked a package deal, we had a standard apartment and my parents upgraded to a ground floor one. Although this was required due to mobility needs there was no concession.

The village is beautifully maintained as were the apartments. We had a lovely balcony that had a sea view. Housekeeping was excellent. You get a card that you can use to pay for most items so you have no need to carry much cash.

The food - we were half board - was very good and fresh. If you are not used to the way that Sardinians eat you may be a bit surprised (whole fish etc) but we visit Sardinia regularly and this buffet had more variety than others. I was disappointed with the sweet selections and if you wanted ice cream you had to buy it from the Gelateria in the piazza.

The train service to the beach is the outstanding feature of this resort as you really wouldn't manage it any other way. The managed beach is well kept and the towel service is good. It's a bit of a walk from the train stop to the actual beach but no more than 10 mins even with small children or mobility problems.

The few minor irritations were;
The coffee shop/ice cream parlour is closed during the daytime.
Lunches are not good value.
No dryer or space to hang out swimming stuff.
The site shop (a reasonable distance over the car parks) is very limited.

My parents apartment had a private garden which was lovely but unfortunately some items were stolen overnight and although the staff took the details it was fairly clear that they didn't think it was really a problem.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading to a ground floor room unless you can't manage steps.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AngeJ
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We have just come back from a one week stay at Chia Laguna Resort as a family and we had a fabulous time.
The hotel staff are friendly and very welcoming. Always pleased to help and quick to sort out any problems or queries.
We had 2 interconnecting rooms with balconies right by the children's pool and play area and the 'Miniclub' kids club house.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious and the bathrooms were of a good standard too. Our rooms had air conditioning, tv's (Italian channels) and a safe. In the bathroom a hairdryer was provided.
The resort never seemed too busy, but with a nice number of guests floating around. You could always find a table at dinner or at the bar and there were plenty of sun loungers by the pool and at the private beach. Beach and pool towels are provided and this was a very useful service as we were constantly by the water as it was so beautiful. The pools were quite cold but this proved to be refreshing on the hotter days.
We stayed at the resort on a half board basis and so dined at the Bouganville restaurant for breakfast and dinner. This restaurant offers a buffet and I was dubious as we have had some disasterous buffet meals on half board but the food was wonderful. It was exciting to see the fresh array of foods on offer every night. I have to say a great deal of it was seafood and so if you aren't too keen on that then you may be disappointed but on the whole there was plenty of other dishes on offer. Infact the buffets turned into a real highlight of the stay for my husband! We would both eat so much for breakast that we ended up not eating again til dinner time so it was very cost effective too but our children, who are 7 & 4 both needed lunches and that wasn't cheap. As it is a resort and it isn't really within walking distance of much else you are obliged to pay the resorts high prices for food and drinks but the quality of the food at the poolside bar & the Le Dune Campana beach restaurant was brilliant so not bad value.
There is a little train that runs every 15 mins til 7pm to the beach and back and the beach is gorgeous, uncrowded, white sands and crystal clear warm waters. A short stroll over some rock and you are on the neighbouring beach which is equally beautiful and has some beach snack bars with drinks etc but the sun beds cost 15-25 euros for the day so beware!
The private beach has it's own snack bar with drinks service but all food seems to stop at 3pm whcich sounds quite late but dinner isn't til 7.30pm and the time really runs away from you here as it is so relaxed.
The resort itself is very pretty and green(unlike the surrrounding areas which were quite rugged and arid) with lots of beautiful shrubs and little lizards running around.
In the evenings after dinner at 9pm the 'baby dancing' would start which was children's disco and entertainment run by the very energetic and tireless 'equipe' team. After which (at 9.30) there follows either a quiz or cabaret show followed by some music and adult dancing.
The kids club team are outstanding!!! We had visited right at the end of the season when they were finishing 'miniclub' but they were still enthusiastic, caring, energetic and funny. They played with all the kids at breakfast and dinner and did trips to the beach everyother day. They had snack times. magic shows and games and truly cared about and enjoyed what they did.
There were only 10 left out of an original team of 32 during our stay and so they all worked from morning til night with not many breaks and hardly any rotation but were always chirpy and funny.
They really made it a special holiday for our kids and us! One of the cabaret shows they did was one of the funniest evenings out I've ever had! Each one of them is extremely talented and dedicated and we had tears in our eyes as we said goodbye to them on our last day.
I would highly recommend this resort and can't really think of any negative points. We are hoping to book again next year amd Mid September seemed to be perfect as we avoided the masses!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank Clare H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chia
Chia Laguna - Hotel Laguna
#4 of 33 in Villasimius
Hotel Spartivento
Hotel Spartivento
#5 of 7 in Chia

Been to Chia Laguna - Hotel Village? Share your experiences!