“Hit and MISS” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Chia
Zurich, Switzerland
“Hit and MISS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just back from our low season visit to the Village - The food is a BIG issue- no one at the (all incl) restaurant appeared to be enjoying themselves. It was like eating in a hospital canteen, no garlic, herb or chilli had touched any of the food, too much choice and no quality, no atmosphere, full lighting - suffice to say no romance (DO NOT go as a couple, we came with a 1.5yr toddler who we fed at the baby restaurant at 6.30pm and got childcare everynight so we could TRY and enjoy a meal to ourselves) The last two evenings there was a slight improvement in quality of food as the outside grill was put into action but for Italy it was terrible especially the breakfast which was absolutely standard every morning including dripping greasy bacon, scrambled egg floating in water, syrup orange juice machine - not to mention the soupy coffee, tinned fruit selection and a couple of cereals with as much bread as you could eat...just slightly rescued by a small selection of pastrys.
Saying all of this the staff were excellent, timely and kind.
The beach was beautiful with a crystal clear sea as good as any.
The bedrooms were cleaned well everyday and in good decorative order although the first one we were put into smelt very mouldy (had been shut up all dead season I guess)
The Kids club and equipment was a bit run down along with the kids pool which is why so many kids ended up in the main village pool, freezing though it was.
The entertainment schedule hadn-t really started and what we saw of it was pretty basic but sounded like it would get better as season progressed but generally the big dissapointment factor was that with the position and the facilities and general upkeep and COST a few more things gotten right and more attention and it could have been a really good experience and that is the most irritating thing about the resort.

Room Tip: We ended up in a family room which has a sub balcony level and two bathrooms which is perfect if you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

we weren't shown into our room, just pointed in the direction of it

I ordered a triple room, but only the double (which was actually an unbolted twin) was made up. The third bed was just a day bed.

The food was of outstanding quality, but lacked flavour

We weren't told that the clubhouse closed at 3 when we checked in, so there was nothing really to eat until dinner (having been travelling since 4am, this was not OK).

I had a great holiday as did my family, and yet, I find myself remembering more bad things that good when I wrote my holiday company review.

I don't see why anyone would come here without kids - go to the Amalfi Coast instead!

The week stated terribly, when having arrived late, there was nothing but expensive and shockingly bad ham and cheese toasties on offer. The staff, having not actually shown us to the room but pointed in the general direction, didn't tell us that the restaurants were closed between 3 and 7.30. I found this dining time to be quite late with a 2 year old in tow, but we adapted well and even made it to the baby disco at 9pm...

The weather was c.24 degrees most days in whitsun half term, but had been terrible the week before, and there is NOTHING to do if it rains. The Turkish bath that had tempted us to this resort among other things was closed, as was the beach restaurant until the penultimate day.

There was only one evening when the table was laid outside, even though it was warm.

Dinner is of outstanding quality, but lacks flavour - this is fine as long as you know to add seasoning yourself. Breakfast is disappointing and I found myself living on bread all week.

The beach restaurant is wonderful, and set just back from the stunning beach, accessible by a cute little train that runs half hourly. Unfortunately the staff often look stressed and the service is slow and sloppy - I asked 5 times before I got the ice cream I ordered (3 times nothing arrived and 2 times it was the wrong one. This was partly a language thing perhaps, but mainly a not listening thing. I don't like people storming around behind me in an attempt to display how busy they are, particularly in what looks like a very cool and chilled restaurant from the outside. Call me old fashioned but in a restaurant, I like to be fed and watered according to what I ordered. A smile here and there is a bonus.

See - this sounds like I had a terrible time, but despite this, it was excellent. My husband had a great time, my toddler had a great time, and this place grew on me. The staff took an interest in my child eventually, perhaps because she is beautiful!

It's all very well going out of season, but don't expect the staff to take your visit that seriously - they seem to spend May and June preparing for the onslaught of the proper summer!

Room Tip: 523 - a garden room that is close to most things, but not next to stairs - I could hear people runni...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelexoert
Aachen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good - clean well equipped rooms where the wifi actually worked , accommodation units spread out accross large area with well maintained gardens , excellent modern conference facility , restaurant by swimming pool served an excellent dinner , shuttle every 15 min to beach - even if walking distance not that close to the beach either.

Can improve : fresh fruit selection at breakfast ( in sardinia we expect more than apples and bananas and definitely not tinned fruits ) , quality of juices offered at the conference centre breaks - or more accurate mixing ( was either too sweet or too weak usually ) , check-out was extremely slow and since we were a large group I was surprised to see only one person on duty in the early morning and that it took so long with each check-out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have been twice in chia laguna resort ,the first time in August 2011,the second time in august 2012!
We love this place and this hotel!
People,who make holidays there,are usually very relaxed and like to have fun!
It is a hotel for families!
The rooms are a little bit modest!
Breakfast and dinner are great!
The beach is really amazing!
If you want,you can make fitness the whole day,there are fitnesslessons from morning till evening!
You can reach Cagliai by public bus and it offers many oppurtunities to see southern Sandegna!
I think ,we will return !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank maria e
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Resort is large and spread out. Rooms are decent. Food was good. But not great like other places we have eaten in Italia. The beach is really good and about the only thing which is worth it. As a young couple with no kids we felt that we were at the wrong place. No romantic spots. Great for families and would return after kids. Little tram or "Train" to the beach is nice. Not sure why they have added shelves on balconies for birds to nest. They end of making a mess. The territorial bird did not like me hanging out on the balcony and I felt threatened. Overall a bit pricey for what you get. Although in this area of Sardinia there are only large overpriced beach resorts.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Camelduece
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

It was a great place to stay ,room service brilliant ,food was very Italian ,absolutely loved the beach and great to go out in the hire car if you want to break day up.very nice weather and very peaceful

Room Tip: Our room was very dental to everything we used around.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angela H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

If you have a young family and want a package holiday with an Italian twist this place comes highly recommended. Good food, great pool and beach, friendly service and plenty of madcap Italian holiday antics to keep the kids entertained.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank oddielegrove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chia
Chia Laguna - Hotel Laguna
Pullman Timi Ama Sardegna
#4 of 33 in Villasimius
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,215 reviews
Forte Village Resort - Hotel Castello
Forte Village Resort - Hotel Cas...
#1 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
Chia Laguna - Hotel Baia

Been to Chia Laguna - Hotel Village? Share your experiences!