“I didn't want to leave”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Porto Rotondo
Milan, Italy
“I didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel, in the hills of Porto Rotondo, is one of the best I've been to.
The atmosphere, the design and the food are just a few of the many things that made me love this place. The location is absolutely stunning and don't forget to eat in a few times, the food I had here was the best of the holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gothenburg
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We, a family of four with kids 8 & 10, started our Sardinan trip with three nights at the S'Astore. To get there you need a car since the hotel is located a little more than a km outside Porto Rotondo. Upon arrival we instantly just loved the atmosphere, the architecture and the magnificent view of the bay. We did however face a problem directly from start. Since we'd booked the room from the hotel's home page, the room we saw there did not match the standard of the room we were assigned. We later learned that booking.com showed the correct standard but that didn't help us. After discussing the issue with the really friendly staff we found a solution that was acceptable to all of us. The hotel was meant to be our base camp but we ended up spending more time at it and in the magnificent restaurant than planned due to its increadibly cosy atmosphere. If we return to Sardinia, this is definitely a place we'll visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms with higher standards facing the pool pays off.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
North Tawton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have just returned from a week's stay at Hotel S'Astore. We had the Suite (Room 23) and it was wonderful - bigger and better than we were expecting with two bathrooms. My 15 year old son had a separate sleeping area with a proper bed. The balcony is huge with the most stunning view and there were loungers, chairs and a table so we could sit out and relax. Everything was spotlessly clean and the pool area and gardens were immaculate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. I cannot fault this hotel and would strongly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had 7 nights at this lovely hotel. The setting is lovely, great views, pool area very relaxing. The breakfast got a bit boring after a while as it was the same every day :(
We had a few problems with our A/C so had to move rooms which was a shame as room 3 had a lovely private veranda. The hotel kindly moved us to a newer room, 23, which was lovely and modern as a new build I believe. But to be honest if the A/C had worked, we were very comfortable in room 3, even though not quite as modern.
The receptionist Danielle was very helpful and recommended some great places to visit. There was a blonde lady always appearing to be around but not interested in providing customer service so not too sure of her role there. Overall, we had a lovely stay and I'd recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Listen up guys and pay attention as I am going to save you a bunch load of time and energy researching hotels in North Sardinia.You will see I am a seasoned traveller and value this site as my bible when it comes to travel so......this hotel ticks all the boxes and the list is long and distinguished!
For location it is in the heart of the most popular regions of Sardinia and a spitting distance from Olbia airport. The rooms are luxurious and have all the ameneties you want.Our room had all these plus a large balcony with a sea view plus 2 loungers to boot!( The hotel in all areas is a sun trap).The food was outstanding especially the breakfast which was all fresh and had such a wonderful choice. Yes the restaurant hit the same high standards too. The staff were friendly courteous and very professional.
What were the negatives I hear you say well, there wasn't any! Finally the price was extremely compeititive.;ust book it and enjoy.....WE DID!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank venicefish
London
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one week during September and absolutely loved it. The view is beautiful and the atmosphere was tranquil, romantic. I would definitely come back here again. There weren't any cooked breakfast which was a shame but I think most Italians do that? Still it would be nice if I could have some fried eggs. They did have boiled eggs though! We had dinner there and yes it is expensive but so are all the other restaurants in Porto Rotondo. It is very good quality with fresh pasta and seafood. Our room was spotlessly clean and it was cleaned everyday. Girl from the reception was really friendly and recommended me with good restaurants locally and also further away and I bothered her almost everyday with questions and she helped me every time with a smile! You definitely do need a car as it's not possible to walk to Porto Rotondo town centre! Beautiful beaches in Porto Rotondo with lots of nice places to eat and drink. If you are after a quiet romantic break I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Such a pretty hotel. We were really looking forward to 4 days in September. There's not much customer service (i.e front desk often empty, no one to help with bags) but that's okay. The pool is beautiful but absolutely no one went in it even though it was hot weather, because it is quite deep and not heated at all which makes it far too freezing to enjoy. Our room was quite small and the sea view was obscured by a balcony but it was acceptable.

What was not at all acceptable were two things, and they still sour my memories of that holiday, two months on.

Firstly, on the 3rd day I left the breakfast room with a cheese roll in my hand as we were rushing to get to the beach. The owner stopped me in broken italian and to my utter surprise and humiliation, sharply told me to sit down and finish my roll before leaving the eating area. In front of all the guests. I was too shocked to argue back and left my roll on the table. Unbelievable way to treat your guests- as if they are 'criminals' out to steal your breakfast rolls! It was very upsetting, and I got dirty looks from this woman every morning afterwards. I've never experienced customer service like it.
Secondly, on the Saturday of our stay and our final day before we flew back to London, we planned to spend the day sunbathing by the pool. However we noticed at breakfast that there were a lot of extra staff setting tables for a wedding. Right by the pool and in the main guest area. Eventually we asked a staff member what was going on, and he bluntly told us that there was a wedding and that we would not be welcome in the main indoor area at lunchtime. A lot of the staying guests looked pretty surprised at this news, not least because we hadn't been offered the courtesy of a warning and an apology. Since we were planning on sunbathing I asked how I could be in a bikini near the wedding guests and he laughed rudely and said something along the lines of 'of course you can't'. We left in the end because we felt so self conscious sunbathing in the middle of someone's wedding- we certainly didn't want to ruin their special day because of the terrible hotel customer service.

All in all it was laughable. Except that it still goes down as the worst customer service we've ever been on the receiving end of and it's really not a funny memory.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 23 in Baia Sardinia
Hotel Gabbiano Azzurro
Hotel Gabbiano Azzurro
#3 of 14 in Golfo Aranci

Been to Hotel S'Astore? Share your experiences!