“Disappointing”

Petra Segreta Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Pantaleo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I booked to stay here for 5 nights for our mini-moon at the end of August. Part of the reason we were attracted to the hotel was because it looked romantic, private, and after the stress of the wedding we were looking forward to lounging by the pool and treating ourselves to some cocktails.

Firstly, our room was very disappointing. The hotel knew we were on our honeymoon, and, unlike what you see on the website, our terrace was overlooking the entrance to the spa on one of the main footpaths around the hotel. While there is a (short) hedge blocking some of the view into the room, any passers by were able to look in, or if we were sat on the terrace, passers by would wave and talk to you - not really what you want when you're enjoying a private moment with your partner! Therefore if we were in our room, most of the time was spent inside, with the curtains closed.

Secondly, fixtures in the room were disappointing. As other guests have pointed out - nothing too bad but certainly not what you would expect from a Relais and Chateau hotel. For example, one of the three lights above the mirror had gone and wasn't replaced for our whole stay. Additionally, the towel rail was loose and rattled around.

All of these points I brought up to management the day before we left in order that they would have the opportunity to at least do something about it but guess what - the complaint was completely ignored - and none of the bathroom issues fixed. Frustrating!

Lastly, while the grounds are beautiful and the pool area very nice, the pool area is not serviced AT ALL by the staff during the day. Towels are laid out in the morning, but after that guests are left to their own devices. Loungers that have been used in the morning but abandoned in the afternoon are not refreshed, therefore guests that come later in the day have to guess as to which lounger is not in use and dispose of the used towels/ get new ones themselves. Not ideal.

Also, to say they have a 'pool bar' is incredibly misleading. The bar which is inside near the pool, is not even staffed. There is a bell to get attention should no one be there which is ignored (I rang it about 5 times before setting off in my wet bikini around the hotel to get a drink and eventually found myself at reception, embarrassed, just to get a glass of water). Additionally, later in the evening when we asked the bar man for a martini - he did not know what this was. Surely this is a key drink on any Relais & Chateau bar menu!

We really wanted to enjoy this hotel but sadly this was not the case. I certainly wouldn't be recommending it in a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tessa H

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Good for a quiet break, we stayed 4 days, personally I don't think I could have stayed much longer as not much to so there but great to just chill out and relax. The hotel in itself is nice, rooms and shared areas were clean ..pool are was quite small, I think hotel was definitely more suited to couples rather than families with children.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We have just left and don't know if some of the recent criticism had an impact but we found the service excellent. With "Soon" the head maitre de outstanding. His advice on the menu and choice of wine was extremely knowledgable and unpretentious. His manner always pleasant and attentive.
We had a number of issues to resolve as two couples both with travel arrangements and work related requirements and at all times found the staff very helpful.
The dining experience was right up to expectations with fresh local produce cooked to perfection.
Our rooms were very pleasant if a little dark with a nice sitting area outside the room to enjoy the outside air.(rooms 101&104)
The views and other amenities were also very good. I had a Raja (spine straightening) strong massage (in fact two because the first one was so good).
The one quite off putting part to the experience was the road into the hotel is very narrow and dirt for some distance (although partly being surfaced as I write). It was in our view quite dangerous although we got a little used to it.
All in all a very enjoyable experience.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I couldn’t agree with two of the previous reviewers more. A peaceful and beautiful location; fantastic terraces; lovely views….what a shame about the service. As the previous reviewer – chistoco – points out, there is no 'huge issue’ that stands out. Just a series of numerous little things that wouldn’t be a big deal if it wasn’t for the price tag (expensive even by Sardinian/height-of-season standards) or the fact it is a Relais hotel.

We felt like we were putting the staff out every time we asked for something. I also agree with the reviewer trishglenn that the staff were very aloof and unfriendly. The only friendly staff member we accounted during our four night stay was a lovely gentleman from Durban! The rest of the time, they struggled to even smile, never mind be pro-active and check on guests.

Breakfast had a great selection. Thank goodness, as dinner was an incredible disappointment. Average food. Not-so-average prices.

We did have one young gentleman help us book a day trip out on a boat. He was very helpful until the manager started whispering to him (in Italian) to try and sell the hotel’s private boat trip instead. Obviously the manager thought our English speaking group couldn’t understand Italian!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Princess_Denise
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It's taken me a long time to write this review so here goes..beautiful place, facilities, views etc. We got on very well with all the staff except for the manageress/ owner who seemed very aloof, distant or in my eyes unfriendly. We were there two weeks and she only acknowledged us in week 2 because I said hello. On reflection 2 weeks here was a mistake. The restaurant whilst boasting stunning views, lovely terrace, lovely furniture was soulless and the food at best mediocre and ridiculously overpriced, we shared a fish as a main course and it cost 70 euros! Was it good? No. I've eaten at Michelin starred restaurants in U.K that charge less - the pretentiousness of the place just made me very cross. So we ventured out and ate much better, more honest food elsewhere. The Agriturismo's are a must - a veritable banquet of good local meats, cheeses, veg, suckling pig all washed down with local wines.
We had a massage - Omar was amazing, however the facilities at his disposal are not worthy of the Spa experience description! Basic hut no frills attached.
I think the place gets away with a lot because it is so pretty and most people only stay a few days.
I would like to see it become more relaxed, let the staff wear less formal uniform, let them relax instead of aspiring to be formal stuffy staff, give a bit more away you always feel you are being ripped off - no free cold water by the pool, fresh orange juice at breakfast an extra 5 euros?! We had a hotel breakfast buffet in Barcelona two weeks later that was three times the size, cheaper and included all the " extras" that you have to pay for here.
Would I go back? No. Would I like to see some of the staff again? Yes, they were lovely. I think they probably have quite a tough time aspiring to be whatever it is the owner is aspiring to!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trishglenn
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I had a wedding to attend in the south of the island and decided to extend our stay in Sardinia by booking Petra Segrata for 2 nights afterwards.

The communal areas of the hotel are very beautiful and tastefully decorated. Earlier reviews talk of incongruous music being played would appear to have been noted and changed. The views are stunning from the lawn beyond the dining room and at night the whole resort is beautifully lit.

The rooms are fine; not overly spacious without being cramped, inexpensively furnished without looking cheap, the bathroom was not particularly luxurious but well appointed etc. For the price, they're not a gasp in either direction. The real plus for us was the private terrace that we used a lot. Having come from a hectic 3 day wedding we wanted to wind down and do very little for our remaining time and had no real urge to go exploring the area. We thus spent most of the day loafing on our terrace which was very pleasant and private.

The breakfast buffet was very nice indeed with a wide variety of food though I would have thought that more of the a la carte breakfast items would have been included in the room rate.

The hotel road of which many previous reviews complained has largely been tarmacked and was no problem for us even in an underpowered Citroen rental.

I would say that Petra Segrata Resort and Spa would be more accurately named Petra Segrata Resort. The use of the term "spa" is reasonably liberal. My wife had a massage which she said was excellent but the spa does consist of a massage hut only. There is a "fitness room" also which comprises three tired cardio machines and two dumb bells with insufficient weights to achieve anything meaningful but if you are just looking for a shaded run (there is no AC or fan) it is workable.

So far so good.

The one area that I think lets Petra Segrata down is service. It is very, very friendly and well intentioned, the problem is that it is just rather ineffectual which at this price point is disappointing. The examples are all small, and in isolation they are all without doubt not due course to complain, but cumulatively they ended up being quite irritating.

On arrival we buzzed at the gate for someone to let us in. I presumed this was so that they could tell new guests were arriving and someone would therefore greet us at what ended up being the bottom of a very steep path up to the reception to help us with our bags and perhaps park the car; no-one did. This wasn't really a problem as I just abandoned the car at the bottom of the path with keys and bags still inside - this is a Relais et Chateaux after all! It would have been nice not to have had to ask for help, however.

On check in, we asked the lady at reception to inquire about a yoga class and a climbing excursion that we saw promoted in some of their literature we had been given to peruse. As we were only here for one full day, any activities would have to be organised for the following day. We were told someone would revert with more information on both. Three hours later, we asked again on our way to dinner to be told that no-one had yet called and it was now too late to do so. The next morning at breakfast, we asked again and were informed that there was still no information yet to give us but we would be contacted soon. My wife called a few hours later and we were given the availability of the yoga instructor which, through no fault of the hotel, did not suit us. No-one ever came back to us about the climbing. In total we had to ask four times and only got half of the answer to the original query. This is three times too many in my book.

On arriving at the room, we found that the cleaners had left the bathroom windows open with all the lights on. The room was thus full of mosquitoes and other insects. With a little forethought, this could easily have been avoided as could the 15 bites I got over the subsequent 5 minutes. To be fair, reception provided some bite treatment but I would obviously have preferred not to have had to use it.

Having settled in, we ordered a bottle of champagne to the room which arrived only moderately cooler than room temperature. Basics....

The following day at lunch, we decided to order room service and stay put on the terrace to eat. I asked for balsamic vinegar and chilli flakes to be ordered to accompany the meal; predictably neither came.

That evening at dinner, we arrived to the restaurant and decided to have a drink in the beautiful outdoor seating area. Having spent 5 minutes trying to get someone's attention to order, I went in to order the drinks. After a further 10 minutes passed, I had to go back in to ask where they were. A further 10 minutes later and we decided just to sit down for dinner as it was getting late. On sitting down, we asked again where the drinks were and were told again that they were coming. Momentarily, they arrived but they had made my Kir Royale in a white wine glass and filled it with crushed ice. The champagne was thus flat before I had even had a chance to try it. Not being able to face waiting another 25 minutes for a drink, I just smiled and thanked them. I presume the 20 minutes preparation was on account of them looking up what a Kir Royale was or perhaps it was that they had finally realised that all their champagne was warm.

All in, I enjoyed the stay there but I seemed to spend more time tending to staff than they did to me. Our interactions were infrequent and our stay brief but almost nothing was executed correctly on first request and, towards the end, it became a game to guess in advance what would be lacking.

It certainly is a very nice place but I'm not sure I would go back. I think I had perhaps angered the hotel gods by telling someone at the wedding that I had never had a cause to complain at a Relais et Chateaux hotel. The hotel gods are angry and vengeful and took it upon themselves to teach me a lesson. Lesson learned!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chistoco
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The hotel's website does really not do this place justice. Stunning views, excellent rooms, great food and helpful staff who dished out excellent restaurant recommendations (esp. Ingrid). The hotel was full but was still very quiet and peaceful, even in the communal areas. We hired a car and so went out on trips to local beaches and local towns. Everywhere we wanted to go seemed no more than 15-20 mins away with very scenic mountain drives.

Tip: The small dirt road mentioned in reviews below has now been partly paved so the drive wasn't too bad at all and it looks like the remaining dirt section has just been prepared for paving. For the easiest drive don't follow your sat nav blindly to the hotel, make sure you go via the nearby town of San Pantaleo. This will take you up the dirt road on the paved end.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Colonna Resort
Colonna Resort
#3 of 21 in Porto Cervo

Been to Petra Segreta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!