“50 / 50”

Petra Segreta Luxury Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Pantaleo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My partner and I stayed recently in the hotel during the summer.
First impressions- I had a really strange check-in experience, where I was essentially forgotten about mid-way through the process and was left to linger until I had to ask if I could go to the room. Noone met me upon arrival either, so I had to carry my bag up a hill to the Reception.
Food- excellent, albeit pricey. Amazing views.
F&B Staff- Attentive, but not overly.
Room- We paid over 600 euros a night for a room that was really subpar. It was tiny, and badly decorated. I believe we were also supposed to have a bathroom with a view- but there was only one tiny window. Also no full length mirror. I dread to think what our room would have been like if we had gone for a cheaper option.

The only amazing thing about it was the view. When we asked to change to what might be a bigger room, the Receptionist (I believe his name was Gianni) told us they were fully booked and couldn't move our room (he kept giving us dates he COULD move us, but naturally, they were much past our departure date). It left a terrible taste in our mouths when we saw that we were probably the only couple that stayed in the hotel consecutively the whole week- plus our week was from a Wednesday- a Wednesday- surely most people arrive on a Friday or Saturday, so I'm certain they could have accomodated us even after a few days.
Regardless, we spent a small fortune on the hotel, and really only spent 1 whole day out of 6 there. The pool is really nice, quiet and relaxing, but not necessarily worth it if you want to be at the beach every day. Better to stay closer to Porto Cervo.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moe1314
There are newer reviews for Petra Segreta Luxury Resort & Spa

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for pleasure. Quite simply, it was fantastic. Finding the hotel was a little challenging but once we figured it out, all was good. The property is secure and absolutely immaculate. We went right before the start of the season so it never felt crowded. The pool was wonderful as was the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Simply realize that it is not an inexpensive dining option at night.

Our room was large and clean as was the bathroom. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful as well. The views were spectacular in all directions and it felt like a secluded, relaxing paradise.

Location was excellent to get to beaches, small towns, etc. one of our favorite places yet!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mks4
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Beautiful location although a way out of town. Beautifully decorated. Wonderful food and service. Should be a 7 star property! It is located in the hills overlooking the sea and is beautifully laid out so that all rooms (cabins really) have the great view. One of the few hotels on this trip that had wireless in the room, not just in the lobby.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mercant700
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is really nice. The garden, the view and the rooms are fantastic. We stayed as a larger group and needed 5 rooms. The suites Romeo and Guliette are amazing and both habe their own pools, the junior suites are great two only the normal rooms had no great views, but the rooms were nice. The suites and junior suites have Nespresso machines!
The breakfast is a feast and the service is very friendly.
They have a very small fitness with four cardio machines from Technogym.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Go100go
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Located on top of a hill with fabulous views in a lush natural setting within half an hour's drive from Olbia airport. The welcome from Claudia and Maximillian was incredibly war and genuine. Both of these staff members were exemplary during our four day stay. The restaurant staff were also great especially Sorina and Ugo. The food was absolutely delicious. Both my friend and I had dietary requirements and they were managed beautifully.
The actual setting is the star of the show it is breathtaking. The interior design is an unusual blend of sophisticated and rustic with incredible attention to detail throughout. The pool setting is gorgeous too.
This place is a really luxurious bolthole , ideal for relaxation aimed at adults definitely not for kids

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Went to Sardinia for a week with my girlfriend end of April, we booked this as a spa type relax part of the week, so we booked 3 nights and paid about 150 per night or something, and planned to do other stuff for the other 4 nights.

The place is located a 5 min drive from San Pantaleo, up a half tarmac, half dirt track road, no probs with that, but probably a wee bit far to walk it, so you need a car (we are young and fit) The hotel has stunning views, a nice pool, and it's a pretty cool place. Its a bit weird though, we are very down to earth and rarely moan about anything, but I felt compelled to write this as it's very, very expensive in height of season, like 500 or 600 a night or something crazy.

The hotel is nice enough, we had dinner first night to try it, had 2 courses and 1 bottle of wine = 100 euros. Won't be doing that again, was good but not worth that. Breakfast is a decent buffet, but silly little things, like me having to go find/ask a waiter for coffee, every morning, got annoying. Not complaining, but its supposed to be 5 star, and you shouldn't need to go find a waiter every morning to ask for coffee. It also lacks atmosphere, the restaurant is too quiet, and pretentious, it does have amazing views though.

It's got a small spa, but you need to reserve it, as it's private and they rent it to public in afternoons, so you reserve 2 hours in the morning (free) but you would have to pay if you wanted it in the afternoon. The spa is private to you and has a lock..... tick that list ha!

Tips - we went to supermarket and stocked up on superb wine, Barolo etc.. and beers which is soo cheap it's brilliant. I'm a Peroni man and was looking forward to drinking that but my GF persuaded me to try the Local beer, it's called Ichnusa, and it's beautiful, fresh, light and crisp beer, totally converted to that. We also stocked up on other stuff like cheeses, meats, breads, olive oil etc.. The buffalo mozzarella here is totally different to what you normally get outside Italy, and so are tomatoes and salamis. We just piled it all in the fridge in the room (minibar fridge) and every morning we would empty it so the cleaners never noticed, this way, we eat and drank like kings in a posh place saving an absolute fortune.

It is a good place for couples, but 2 nights would be enough in my opinion, and there is no way on earth I would pay 500 or 600 a night, absolutely no way, 150 euros a night in April/May ok, but no more than that. Also, it has a 'gym' - which in reality is about 4 old/tired cardio machines and a few old free weights, just saying.

On this note, down in San Pantaleo, which is quiet, but small and charming, there is a restaurant simply called the Pizzeria. OMG - The best Italian food we have every, ever tasted - Basic, but totally fresh dishes like mozzarella/basil/ prawn cocktails etc..makes soo much difference when fresh/quality produce. The Pizzas and Pasta is simply amazing, the Pizza oven is wood fired and the pizzas rotate in and out of it. It's full of locals, families, kids etc.. and there is 2 waiting staff, running around like mad, sweating their nuts off, could not be more efficient or helpful. This is proper Italy, this is why we came, the best espresso = 1 euro - The wine is really, really good, the most expensive bottle on the list was about 11 euros or something, and it was fantastic. We had 2 courses each, coffees, 2 small beers and a bottle of wine = 50 euros in total or something, twice as cheap as the hotel for twice as much, totally buzzing, atmospheric place, full of noise and charm, loved it and went again the next night.

Sardinia is incredible, you need a car as it's not like they really have 'resorts' as much, its a bit more spread out, and you sort of get used to this after a few day's. It's pretty 'Italian' obviously, but if you are looking for a real experience of culture, no egg and chips or Sun newspapers, very good quality food and wine, then go, but this hotel, although nice, is way, way, way over priced!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KB777
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. First the good: the staff was super friendly, contrary to the reviews, especially Claudia, Michaela & Soon. The location and setting were magnificent. I had the best massage I've ever had in my life by Omar (and I've had massages all over the world).

The less good: do NOT get Room 505. It's in the main hotel, near the pool, but noisy as it backs out onto the back of the kitchen. No view. The shower takes 10 minutes to get warm, leaks then takes 10 minutes to drip off. To their credit, the staff did offer to put us in a junior suite with sea view for our last night, but we were too lazy to pack up our stuff.

Also, we ate there the first night and the food is ok but way over-priced compared to what you can eat in San Pantaleo. Breakfast is amazing, though.

We had left our 3 boys at home and I'm glad we did as it was more of a couples place. I'd love to come back with the kids, but then I'd choose a more low-key place in the village of San Pantaleo.

We had no problems with the road, but we travelled by ferry with our giant SUV.

Overall, a fabulous stay, even if we were glad to not have taken full board.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort
Hotel Abi d'Oru
Hotel Abi d'Oru
#1 of 7 in Porto Rotondo

Been to Petra Segreta Luxury Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!