“Adequate hotel”
Review of Hotel Clelia

Hotel Clelia
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ustica
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My family stayed there a few weeks ago on a short 3-day stay on Ustica. The hotel was adequate - rooms were clean, breakfast was ok. There was no charm, no warmth. It just felt a bit cold - perhaps because we did not speak Italian and the front desk only spoke Italian. Location was great, really right in the middle of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Ustica is a nice location.Stayed here for 2 nights with my Wife. We were quoted a price on the phone, and, booked accordingly. However, when we arrived, we were told that price was per person. Had we known that, we would have researched other Hotel prices. Hotel is good, and quaint. But, was expensive! Also, the town bell goes off every hour,inc throughout the night, so, sleep was disturbed

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ben P
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Ustica is wonderful and the hotel makes a great base. It is in a fantastic location close to the main piazza. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom good. I liked that they are conscious of the environment, one of the few hotels who leave the note about towels and detergent and actually follow it instead of changing towels daily regardless. The staff were very helpful. Lovely view from the breakfast room. They offer a free shuttle service to and from the port. I thought it was great value.
Small negatives: wifi was not free though only a small cost, something like 1 euro a day. But for that price they might as well make it free.
My room faced the street behind the hotel and I was driven crazy by elderly neighbours across the road who spent all day in the street yelling at each other and every passer-by nonstop. They had chairs right under my window (i.e. a couple of feet away). Even at night they had the door open and yelled at each other over the (very loud) TV! If it hadn't been me being subjected to it, it would have been funny. Shutting the window and turning on the aircon probably would have blocked it out but it wasn't hot enough for that. They shut up when the hotel spoke to them but it seems to be an ongoing problem and apparently the silence doesn't last long. But it wouldn't stop me going back as it was overall such a great place.
I was disappointed to find that the restaurant which got such great reviews on TA is closed all year.

Room Tip: Avoid any room facing the back street if it's on a lower floor (mine was on the 1st floor.)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Neve97
Reviewed 7 May 2013

A lovely little hotel in downtown Ustica about a block away from the town plaza...Rooms are bright and colourful with nicely equipped bathrooms and air conditioning. Each have small TV sets with a handful of terrestrial channels and there is WiFi/PC internet access available. There is a small bar/cafe in the reception area, the breakfast room was being refurbished during my stay and so myself and other guests were offered breakfast at a local cafe instead, which despite various communication breakdowns proved to be just adequate (coffee and a pastry). The hotel is a clean, comfortable and pleasant option with friendly staff and a nice, relaxed atmosphere...Due to being low season however the place only had a skeleton staff (no 24 hour reception) and was deserted when I arrived! All in all though I had a lovely three day weekend break from Palermo and I have to say it was well worth the trip...So much so that I'm already planning my next visit...:)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MRonaldSmith
Reviewed 7 August 2012

On an island in Sicily you are basically looking for a clean hotel room with airco and a good shower. This is well provided at the Clelia, and in a nice way! The staff is, as other reviews point out, all very welcoming and supportive, even the cleaning lady!

The only weak spot of the rooms are their thin walls, so don't expect absolute peace and quiet - but is that what you are looking for in Sicily?

The location is perfect, directly in the center!

We also had an excellent dinner at the restaurant with great fish dishes!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2011

we recenrly stayed 4 nights in Clelia and the staff , Ester in particular were very friendly and helpful making the stay an enjoyable one.However the rooms were not of a 3star standard the carpet on the room floor didnt look particularly appealing and the shower room and room decor in need of serious updating. I think there are better accommodations to had on the island but overal the friendliness of the staff was excellent .

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We recently spent 2 nights at the Hotel Clelia in Ustica (Aug-11), and were thoroughly delighted with it. The rooms are clean, the restaurant is very good indeed and Antonina's home-made ice-cream the best we have ever tasted. (Ask for her pistaccio - wonderful!).
The staff were very wam and helpful too.
Probably the best hotel nthe island.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DPara01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ustica
Hotel Diana
Quintocanto Hotel & Spa
#7 of 98 in Palermo
Ca' Serta
#3 of 9 in Ustica

Been to Hotel Clelia? Share your experiences!