“food was excellent and service was disappointing”
Review of Osaka Sushi

Osaka Sushi
Ranked #157 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Richmond, Virginia
“food was excellent and service was disappointing”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My friend and I love to get sushi for lunch frequently. She hadn't been here before and I hadn't been in a few years but remembered liking it quite a bit. Many sushi places in Richmond tend to be grungy and this place is a bit more upscale. When we walked in the door the 2 people standing at the host stand didn't bother to look up so we just headed to the bar. We waited for at least 5 mins to be acknowledged then when the bartender did make her way up there she said to another employee "I'm supposed to take all of these?" In an annoyed voice, right in front of us. There were a total of 3 people at the bar. I contemplated leaving at that point but I was really hungry. We had the Ceviche on the regular menu for an appetizer and it was amazing, we gobbled it right up. We had a few other basic rolls and shared the celebration roll on special it was delicious. I ended up spending around $40 not including tip, just myself so I was pretty disappointed that the staff wasn't more friendly. Granted we did get there at 1:30 and they close at 2:30 but we were out the door by then. The food was really good and I will back for it but if something similar happens again I will just remember to get take out the next time.

• Visited December 2012

“Consistently Exceptional”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I am never disappointed. We dine here frequently and get take-out often as well. Service is always top of the line, the food is impeccably prepared and the overall experience makes you look forward to your next visit before you even leave your current meal. HIGHLY recommended.

• Visited November 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Totally love this place.”
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

I have been an infrequent patron here for years. While not on the menu, order the slumdog roll. Amazing. All the staff is great and a real treat for sushi lovers. Mike the manager visited us and we had a nice conversation. Highly recomend.

Montpelier, Virginia
“My favorite Sushi in Richmond, VA”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have eaten here MANY times since it was first opened. Consistently fresh and tasty Sushi. It's my go-to place for Sushi. They have a great atmosphere, an intimate little bar area, and a Sushi bar to sit at and watch the masters work. I prefer to go with 3-6 friends and order multiple dishes and share. The service is always good and I have never had a bad meal or bad experience there.

Visited July 2012
“Very poor service”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is my the second bad experience at Osaka. I waited a year before returning only to be disappointed again. My party and I arrived for lunch at Noon. The restaurant was only about half full. We were promptly seated but that ws where the service ended. Our waiter was clearly unfamiliar with th menu. Returned to our table twice saying he did not know what we ordered. 30 minutes later the wrong orders for two of the three of us were placed on our table. Then they were taken away after which we waited another 30 minutes before food appeared. Very frustrating and noone seemed to care. The staff behind the sushi bar watched all of this unfold and did nothing but whisper back and forth between themselves...wish they had given us a heads up to leave before we ordered...the first time.

• Visited August 2012