“Fabulous! Must go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Virginia Historical Society

Virginia Historical Society
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For more than 180 years, the Virginia Historical Society (VHS) has been connecting people to America's past through the unparalleled story of Virginia. The VHS-a history museum and research library-features award winning exhibitions that are entertaining and educational for visitors of all ages. The Society is the only museum with all of Virginia's history under one roof-all centuries, all regions, and all topics are covered. Although designated the Official State Historical Society, the VHS is a privately funded non-profit organization that relies on contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations to sustain its operations. The VHS is located at 428 North Boulevard in Richmond's Museum District. Admission is free. Galleries and museum shop open every day: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Library open Monday to Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Chuckey, Tennessee
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fabulous! Must go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I went on search for some family history and was expecting to find only a library. What an incredible fnd this was. Just fabulous and I didn't allot enough time for this trip. Anyone with school aged children would certainly want to bring them to this. But, we are seniors and were delighted at learning about this history of Virginia, which is nearly the history of all of us. Just so beautifully displayed and well done. I can't imagine us having such a wonderful place in Tennessee. It's really one of the best and so lucky for Virginians to have this jewel. Kudos to those who had the foresight to establish this and fund it. Just incredible.

Visited January 2013

Baltimore, Maryland
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Surprisingly, if you don't know”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Richmond is underestimated. Richmond is never the place to tour. If you are not a history buff, Richmond might be boring to you. But you might surprise yourself, Richmond is truly rich in history. What Richmond has, Williamsburg does not have. If your destination is always Virginia Beach because of the beach and tan, I think you should know some history at least and Virginia Historical Society is a wonderful place to awaken that curiosity. VHS is a nutshell, it wraps everything you need to know about the Civil War and more. I thought I would not find Richmond interesting and I only think about Virginia Beach but to my surprise, Richmond really has more to offer than I ever thought. I'm glad because of my exploration sense, we went in to this important museum of Virginia. It's truly worth a trip. VHS is Highly recommended. Come in and know yourself.

Visited January 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Take your kids!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

This place is great! In particular, the portion of the building that shows the progression of Virginia through history. I have been working in a 4th grade classroom in Virginia for the past few months and I was blown away by how awesome this would be for the kids to see. Everything I saw was either relevant to the Virginia SOLs or something fun/engaging. This is an excellent place for kids to go along with adults. Only thing I wish was different was I was confused on who was working and who was a visitor. I would like to have talked to someone and gotten some information rather than just wandered the entire time.

Visited December 2012
Tampa Bay, Florida
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“A Must See For Virginia and American History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

I spent a wonderful afternoon at the outstanding Virginia Historical Society exploring both their museum and their genealogical records. The story of Virginia is at the heart of the story of America and the exhibits tell the story in a visually appealing way. From the Woodson Rifle, one of the oldest historical artifacts of American History, to the story of the Revolutionary War and the War of Northern Aggression, the Society has done a remarkable job telling our story, with the setting in a beautiful, clean, spacious facility. The staff is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. The genealogical library features many collections pertaining to old Virginia families.

I highly recommend the Virginia Historical Society to anyone with an interest in our American heritage. I can't wait to return.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank texigator
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wealth of artifacts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was surprised by how extensive the facilities were for this marvelous treasure, and also the history that surrounds this entire area of the eastern seaboard.

Visited November 2012