“More restaurants than shopping”
Review of Carytown

and up
The Carytown Food Tour in Richmond
Ranked #8 of 179 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Section of Richmond that is great for walking, shopping or touring museums and galleries.
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Having read all of the reviews, I had high expectations for Carytown. Perhaps this was my downfall, as I found the area (one long street really) to have more restaurants than anything else. My husband and I visited the area on a Thursday at 10 a.m. and found the most of the stores had a rather eclectic array of opening times. (If you plan to visit, I would not arrive until at least 11 a.m.) We found the shop owners welcoming and helpful and the limited number of shops charming. If you are interest primarily in the shopping, I would suggest finding the list of shops to determine if the trip is worthwhile for you. Since we were not ready for lunch, we did not try the restaurants. There were quite a few and the menus seemed to have something for everyone. I would imagine visiting during a festival or at a time of day when the streets were not empty would have positively impacted my opinion. For myself, I don't think that I would bother to visit a second time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)
All reviews
"chocolate shop"
in 19 reviews
"fun place to visit"

Reviewed 20 August 2014

There are plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping here. I was shocked at all the tattoo parlors. Parking was easy during the day and a bit challenging at night. Overall my favorite place to go while I was in Richmond.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Carytown is my favorite shopping and eating place on the entire East Coast. It is completely fun and whacky. It has all walks of life and any kind of restaurant that you might want. Great fast food both franchise and places like Doner Kebab but Thai, Indian, Mexican, Pizza houses. The shopping is mainly nonfranchise. Park you car and walk both sides of the street. I guarantee you will love it!

1  Thank Dougthelebaneseguy
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We really had fun here during our recent visit to Richmond. There are so many cool shops and restaurants. Many of the restaurants had outdoor seating. We enjoyed stopping off for a beer and some people watching too.