“Beautiful hotel, GREAT service, fabulous civil war package”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My family stayed here one night on our way to Williamsburg, we wanted a day to soak up the history in Richmond and we were not disappointed. The hotel is gorgeous, the concierge found us a great place for dinner and the free hotel shuttle took us there and back. The pool area is lovely, it's indoors with an attached outdoor sunning space. The entry lobby with the stained glass is simply stunning, and the huge staircase is a step back in time. But by far the package we bought, which included tickets to two civil war museums, valet parking and breakfast (including gratuity!) was an amazing adventure. My family thoroughly loved our stay, it was a great way to start a vacation in Virginia!

Room Tip: Being on floor one means you are just down the hall from the pool and a short walk from the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank aksnt11
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for your review and for choosing our Civil War Package for your visit. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Virginia and that you will return again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

994 - 1,000 of 1,337 reviews

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights recently when we turned his business trip into a long weekend. Richmond is certainly not the most exciting city in the world, but this hotel is beautiful. All staff members were extremely nice and helpful, and I really appreciated the concierge's suggestions and free shuttle rides. I guess I am just not used to staying in a luxury hotel though, as I really did not like the turn-down service. Housekeeping leaves 2 lights and the radio on after turn-down, which is just an egregious waste of electricity when you have no idea when the guests will return to the room. We missed out on the Sunday brunch, but saw the staff setting up while we were checking out, and it looked really lovely.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you for spending a long weekend with us and for your review. Our apologies that our turn down service was not to your liking. We take many measures within the hotel to conserve energy but we do continue with this service at turndown so that guests are made to feel welcome upon their return to their room. Thank you for sharing your perspective so that we can continue to gauge our success at meeting guest's travel preferences.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel is historic and beautiful. The regular rooms (king bed) are not anything too special but it was clean and comfortable. The rest of the hotel special is amazing and definitely worth walking around. The restaurant is really great but far from cheap unless you just get a main course. The location is alright but not much within walking distance. This is a wonderful hotel if you want to spend the money and enjoy a historic building with a lot of beauty.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Jefferson Hotel is over 100 years old, but it has been kept in excellent conditions over the years. The architecture and stained glass windows are very beautiful to enjoy. The food in the restaurant is excellent and not very expensive given the quality of food and the nice surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nelson M
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed a few nights in Richmond when we were there on holidays recently. We were lucky enough to be able to be there for the Sunday Brunch - if you can make it there for that alone, I'd recommend you do...

The room was very pleasant and the bed comfortable, bathroom was very clean. Overall a very comfortable room.

We ate in the bar one night and the food there was also lovely. The nuts on the bar were smoked in-house, lovely flavour and I am going to try that myself. Nice beers as well as wines available.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelbourneDoug

Thank you for your recent stay and review. Good luck with recreating the smoked nuts served at Lemaire's bar. They are addictive!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My mother and I went here for the day, just for lunch. We were amazed at the beauty of the hotel. My mother is seventy and just wanted to get away for the day, so she, had her hair done in the salon. Then we had lunch the food was out of this world, and the service could get no better.This hotel is only an hour away from our home and for someone her age a day trip that would put a smile on her face is well worth it. So I would recommend that you just put your mother in the car and spend the day here it is well worth it. I would love to spend the night but she wants to be in her own bed. So for a memorable moment that will last forever go for the ride.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for including The Jefferson in your special day with your mother! We are so glad that you both enjoyed your day.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at The Jefferson Hotel June 2011. Planning the wedding from out of town, I was expecting several trips back and forth to Richmond (8 hr drive from my current residence). Luckily, the Jefferson was able to make this easy and I pretty much got everything done in just a couple trips all together! The hotel offered a wedding coordinator (Ashton-she was great!), floral services, catering for the event, bakery/cake services and of course accommodations including a complimentary room for the bride/groom. I only had to arrange for my dress and photographer/videographer/DJ and lighting.

The hotel itself is magnificent and makes for beautiful photographs. I did my bridal portraits there as well. The enormous staircase was one of the highlights of the wedding, when you get announced "Mr and Mrs" with all of your wedding guests at the bottom of the stairs. It's almost like a second walk down the aisle except this time you are with your husband! Great experience!

The food of course is exceptional and you get to taste everything that will be served the day of the wedding ahead of time. Delicious! Prior to the ceremony, we had chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, eggs benedict and pastries served for breakfast while the girls and I were getting ready. All of the food was exceptional!

The rooms are also beautiful, large and comfortable. By the time we reached the room all of the gifts were arranged in a separate sitting area. The staff had arranged a beautiful table with two slices of our wedding cake (which we hadn't had time to really eat during the wedding) and a bottle of Asti with rose petals on the table.

Overall our experience with The Jefferson Hotel was nothing short of amazing. If I had to do it all over again, I would 100% choose to have my wedding at this historic hotel. The staff and service are amazing, surroundings gorgeous, and food exceptional! A huge thank you to the Jefferson Hotel and Ashton for a perfect wedding!

-Rachel & Matt D

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rachel D

Thank you for allowing The Jefferson to be a part of your wedding day! Ashton is terrific and we so appreciate you recognizing her and the great service that she provides. Congratulations and warmest wishes for many happy years!