“Best weekend getaway anywhere”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Best weekend getaway anywhere”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband i live in Williamsburg, just 51 miles from Richmond, but our favorite "go to" hotel for 20 years was The Jefferson, and we decided sometimes on a Friday aft to go for the weekend. It is luxurious in every respect, and we have always been treated like royalty at each visit. We loved eating at TJs and Lemaire and exploring Richmond where there is much more to see than you could ever imagine. Sadly, my husband passed away last summer, and i recently decided to take a baby step vacation alone. My first and only thought was The Jefferson. I had been in touch with the GM to let him know i would be alone this time, and i was taken aback by his kindness. A bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries were sent to my room the first night; i was given a suite instead of the superior room i expected; and knowing i wanted to see the exhibition at the Virginia Museum of Art, a ticket was waiting for me at check in. The hotel was decorated beautifully, and although seeing families and couples together was sad for me, there is no place i would rather have been during my first holiday season without my husband. THIS is what The Jefferson embodies for me: the kindness of staff and management, excellent accommodations (wait'll you see the TV in the bathroom mirror if you choose to watch an NFL game while getting ready for bed!), great food, courtesy at every point, and just a bit of sorrow the weekend had to end. Thank you to all of you at The Jefferson!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We so appreciate that you and your husband visited with us on so many occasions in the past and that you entrusted us with your holiday stay. We are truly sorry for your loss but hope that in some very small way we were able to make your holiday season just a little brighter and filled with happy memories. We look forward to your return again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

A visit to the Jefferson at Christmas is a special time. The sight of the Christmas tree beyond the grand staircase will set the tone for your holiday celebration at the Jefferson. We try to include the Jefferson in our holiday plans each year. Every facet of this grand hotel and its staff are five star worthy.

• Stayed December 2013
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your review!
Virginia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I recently made reservations at the Jefferson Hotel to include a room for 2 nights, a tea reservation, a dinner reservation and a special in-room breakfast reservation. Two days before the scheduled date, I had to cancel the reservation. During the call to the hotel, I specifically mentioned ALL the reservations and asked if I would need to speak with someone else about the dining. The hotel representative assured me that this would not be necessary. She first cancelled the room, then moved on to the tea and then the dinner reservations, assuring me that everything had been cancelled. The day of our previously scheduled arrival, I got a phone message from the tea room saying that I had failed to cancel the tea reservation and that I would be charged. I called and spoke with the person whose voice I recognized as the earlier caller. I told her that ALL the reservations had been cancelled and that the hotel representative had assured me that no further action on my part would be required. She told me that the manager would have to call me the next day to resolve the matter. Two weeks later--no call, but a $63 charge on my credit card. That in itself is interesting, in that the reservation was for 2 people and the charge for the tea is $24. Does not compute, even allowing for tax. This is supposedly a high class hotel, but apparently they are of the opinion that they never make mistakes and that the customer is never right. Interesting that the other reservations--room and dining--were, in fact, cancelled. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get this matter corrected, but almost two weeks later and it is not. This is a beautiful hotel. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the management.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ELSIE54
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered with our error in not properly cancelling your tea reservation at the time your other reservation cancellations were accepted. Thank you for speaking with our Room Service Manager and please be assured that the charges will be removed from your credit card as quickly as possible and a full investigation of the scenario that you have provided for us is underway so that we can make any needed corrections to our procedures.
Thank you again for making us aware of our error through TripAdvisor and for the opportunity to make that correction.
Virginia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

If you can, stay here when visiting Richmond. Hotel is beautiful especially at Christmas; decorated beautifully! Service was excellent in spite of all the parties going on while we were staying there. Room was very nice and even had turn down service each night. TJ's Bar was very nice as was Lemaire's. Staff is very friendly, attentive and accommodating. They even have car service to nearby restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope you will visit again next holiday season (or sooner)!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

there are better hotels on the planet but very few. The decor is not to be forgotten and will rarely be seen outside of museums or homes of the very wealthy. staff is excellent, bellmen and parking staff are not vultures or thinking that the customers are there to serve them. One minor maintenance problem that could not be repaired in time, however accommodation was agreed upon with mutual satisfaction. If you can't stay just visit the lobby and common areas. You will be amazed with original work and masterful preservation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review!
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was truly impressed with the Jefferson Hotel. As a SPG Platinum traveler, it takes a truly amazing hotel to steer me away from a Starwood property. The Jefferson delivered.

1. Breathtaking Lobby. High decorative ceilings, impressive stairway to lower bar/entertaining area. Each bar and lobby area has its own impressive features. Their Christmas decorations are well done.
2. Unbeatable Historical Charm. 11 US Presidents have stayed plus an impressive list of others. Walking through the hotel truly feels like turning back the hands of time by 100 years, in the best of ways.
3. Spacious Room. High ceilings. Renoved bathroom.
4. Shuttle. Shuttle service is free and takes you to any destination downtown.

My only issue, was being charged for a Snickers from the minibar that I didn't eat. The front desk removed it.

I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms that end in '...01' or '...02' are the corner rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MPCLDC
Thank you for your review and for pointing out your favorite parts of your experience with us. We do apologize for the error in your mini-bar bill and are pleased to hear that it was quickly corrected. We hope that you will visit again soon.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is one of those hotels that you will enjoy when staying in Richmond. It is very beautiful and the service is quite good, making you feel like Richmond is your home.
I was last week, with some christmas decoration and the hotel is just gorgeous. Great restaurant, great bar, great lounge, and at the same time is comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Jefferson Hotel for your holiday travels.