“An amazing hotel! The best in Richmond!”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
“An amazing hotel! The best in Richmond!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

The Jefferson is by far the best hotel in Richmond! I stayed there during the summer, the staff is amazing and the rooms are very clean. The hotel has great restaurants, and an exceptional business center. Very very good hotel! A+++++++++++++++++

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jeff g
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your review and we hope you will return again this summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
Cary, NC
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I spent one night here over the Christmas. Our only regret was that we didn't stay here longer. What a grand hotel! The hotel is a beautiful, historic property and was elegantly decorated for the holiday.

My wife and I stayed in a Deluxe room. it was a little bit more money than the standard room, but well worth it. the room was a very nice size, especially for an older hotel.

The service at the hotel was excellent. We ate a couple of times in the hotel restaurant, which was also excellent.

My wide and I have stayed at many five-star hotels, but this place has to be one of our favorites.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your review!
Jamestown, North Dakota
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The hotel staff was all wonderful and provided excellent service. Room service was great - they were prompt and brought our table into our room, completely set with water glasses, napkins folded and food hot. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the robes were lovely as well. The only small issue was our shower - I realize it is an old hotel (which is precisely why we chose it!) and thus the shower location is what it is, but it's not a very good one at that because it is right next to a large window (opaque of course) and thus the window sill was subjected to moisture and wetness anytime we took a shower. Hence there was mold spots on the sill and looked as though they had been painted over a time or two. It certainly wasn't the end of the world but was unsightly nonetheless. The health club was awesome! My husband and I worked out in it one evening and it is by far the best health club we have seen at any hotel. All in all it was a great stay.

Room Tip: we had a room on the first floor but it would have been nice to have a view - I would suggest gettin...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for high praises of our staff, your room and the health facility. We do apologize for the unsightly windowsill in your bath and thank you for making us aware so that we can continue to look for solutions in that particular bath configuration.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Jefferson Hotel for two nights while on a business trip to Richmond. This is a very elegant and grand old hotel. I thought the room was rather small but understandable for a historic property. The room was clean but did show some wear and tear. The marble bathroom was nice and very clean but again, by today’s standards small. Again, this is all understandable for an old hotel like the Jefferson. I thought the staff overall were good except the cleaning staff were a little too casual - loud and could be heard laughing and chattering at times. I only ate one breakfast on the property and can’t recommend anyone doing so. The food and service were just ok but the restaurant was worn and did not appear to be very clean. I had room service the next day and it was satisfactory. Overall the good things outweigh the few negatives and if you like grand old hotels then you will like this one. In my opinion the Jefferson is a strong 4-Star and I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I do not have enough experience to make any suggestions on the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your review and for providing feedback on the areas where we can make improvements. We are currently enhancing our guest rooms and hope that you will return to enjoy the new, larger rooms.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay at the Jefferson every month for an ongoing business meeting. The hotel in gorgeous and rooms are comfortable (except the pillows- they are too soft for my liking, so I pack my own). Definitely a place to take someone you would like to impress!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your loyalty to The Jefferson! We appreciate your business.
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Jefferson is one of those old, grand buildings with the beautiful ceilings and stately rooms. It is in a decent part of town, with some good nightspots within a few blocks. Rooms are decent sized, with high ceilings, free wifi, and nice amenities.

Unfortunately, during our stay, the hotel was hosting a wedding rehearsal party, and some trial attorneys the following morning. I have nothing against people getting married, nor against members of the bar. But I do object to having their functions take over all of the public areas of the hotel. When you can't use the restaurant, have a drink in the bar, or even walk through the lobby area because they are all dedicated to the special group, what's the point? If I wanted a boardinghouse, I could find a nice one a whole lot cheaper than $265/night.

Some other indications that the problem lies with management include the layer of dust on the top rail of the headboard, the old uncomfortable mattress, the accumulated lint on the HVAC vent and the 15 minute wait for the valet to bring the car. Someone here needs a wake-up call.

Room Tip: If you can get a room next to a stairwell, it will reduce the noise level from adjacent rooms. The...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Jefferson. We have reached out to you via direct message and hope that you will allow us to address your concerns in a more personal manner. Thank you in advance for your consideration of our request.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were in Richmond for a family wedding and stayed a few days in this magnificent hotel.
We had brunch on Sunday and it was beyond anything I have ever seen.
The food was delicious and it went on for miles..... and miles.

Our stay at the Jefferson was a great addition to a happy family event.
We wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and for selecting The Jefferson for your family's special celebration. We are so glad that you were able to enjoy Sunday Champagne brunch during your stay. It's a bit of a tradition here in Richmond and a terrific way to end of wedding weekend.