“Family on spring break”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Greenville, South Carolina
“Family on spring break”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

It was great to see this beautiful hotel. We arrived in a terrible storm. The bellhop was so accommodating-our minivan and family of 5 was a mess from a long road trip. I suspect we are not the average Jefferson guest. The morning we left they had transformed the lower lobby for a convention reception. Many businessmen around. The hotel lobby is breathtaking. Our room on the 4th floor had not been renovated but signs indicated they were working on that part of the building. They were quiet and I didn't see or hear any workers.

We had a suite which I thought was the largest one available. The layout was unusual. A front room with sofa bed then a skinny hallway with enormous closet and bathroom then the king bedroom. There was not a door between these rooms but that was wasn't needed they were far enough apart. I did see a room across the hall and it appeared renovated and more square in size. I probably would have preferred that room to ours.

The a/c didn't work in the bedroom and they were super about trying to fix it. After two attempts, they offered to move and upgrade us. Our girls were asleep so we stayed instead opting for a fan and a $200 discount.

The pool was beautiful and the girls enjoyed it. I think there must be an older wing and a newer wing because we had to use a different set of elevators to get to the pool and fitness club.

My husband and I ate dinner downstairs at Lemaire-it was delicious. Our waiter Jordon was wonderful and informative about the hotel and Richmond. The dining room was exquisite with all the details in the walls. We sat in front of a window and it was very cozy and romantic. That meal has been the highlight of my trip so far.

The next day we had Ross the van driver take us to the science museum (per Jordan recommendation-otherwise wouldn't have been on the radar!) and it was most entertaining. I learned a lot as did my children ages 7,9,13. The children's museum was next door but I can't imagine what they have in it because this museum was geared towards children but wasn't boring for adults. Ross picked us up when we were finished and returned us to the hotel while pointing out places of interest.

The Jefferson is a fine hotel laced with history. I especially enjoyed the mini museum they have in the lobby. Our girls loved the stories about the alligators. I am glad we went. It would be a wonderful spot for a wedding or a convention because the common spaces are magnificent.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Krista B
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review! We again apologize that we were not able to immediately fix the air conditioning in your room but are pleased that the other positives about your stay overshadowed that mechanical issue.
Thank you also for mentioning Ross, your driver. We are delighted that he suggested the Science Museum and that you and your family enjoyed the experience. It is a great find for both kids and adults. (The Children's Museum, that you mentioned, next door is perfect for kids six and under.)
We hope that you and your family will visit The Jefferson again for Spring Break or a weekend getaway!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
ontario canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great location! Friendly staff! Beautifully appointed rooms. Had a drink at the outdoor patio...staff was very helpful with things to do...
Perfect place to come with a dog. There is a park down the street. They provided us with a cushion and bowls. i would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation to others!
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Just minutes from the highway you're warmly greeted by valet service at the entrance of this grand hotel. Spectacular Tiffany glass ceilings create a memorable impression. Harpist and high tea at check in, but disappointingly, we didn't know it would be so popular that you need to reserve this in advance.

Our room was very spacious and did have a minibar if you need a frig. Lovely bath with a jetted tub but does need some updating as it was very hard to figure out the shower heads. Wonderful towels & linens.

The hotel provides a great service of free transportation to your restaurant for dinner but know that it's a mini van & they'll be taking others along as well. You just have the restaurant call to have your return ride waiting.

As our package included breakfast we ordered a la carte. I had an omelet (Very dry) and my husband had fruit and yoghurt & granola. Nothing special nor was the service. Aside from the breakfast...

I would highly recommend staying here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review!
Loganville, Georgia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Its been almost 30 years since I have felt so poorly treated at a hotel. When I walked in a room people turned to look at me as if I had something on my head. When I got up to leave guest stated "he's finally gone". I guess If I forgot that I was African American. However I was quickly reminded. When I mentioned the situation to the manager he stated he would get back to me, which he never did. I heard that this was the best hotel in Richmond. Yes the aesthetics where absolutely beautiful the but the soul of this place made it ugly. I couldn't wait to leave this place was so unfriendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
31 Thank zaylin65
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stopped in just to see the interior, and it was gorgeous.
Walk around and see as much of the property as you can. All of it is so beautiful.
Grand is a great way to describe it.
It is well worth a stop for teatime or brunch.
Look for the alligators inside and out.
Travelationship.com

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heather p
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for posting a recap of your walk through the hotel. We are always delighted to out of town visitors include The Jefferson on their "must see" list!
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

There are hotels that fall back on there name, like the Saint Regis in DC and the service is OK. Not the Jefferson from the time you pull up in front of the hotel to the minute that you leave everything is great. Last night we came back from the opera late and did not have dinner yet, we went to the restruant with a slight hope that we would be able to order something. No problem, no one rushed us, the staff was fantastic.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for your kind review!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This Hotel is a must see, its an historic landmark, the main lobby with its stairway, featured in the very famous movie "gone with wind" will take your breath away and is really out of this world .Every time I have friends visit me, I recommend that they stay at this hotel. They all love it.The rooms( I have seen them ) are all spacious,classic and very clean. The hotel features a brunch that, it has become quite famous for, its amazing. A must see to be believed
My husband and I go several times a year to eat at its restaurant " Lemaire" one of my favorite restaurants in Richmond. This is fine dining at its best. If you are coming to Richmond you must stay/see this Hotel. Its incredible...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you! We are delighted that Lemaire is one of your favorites in Richmond and appreciate your recommendation to all your out-of-town friends. We hope to see you again soon!