“Excellent Hotel”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Jefferson Hotel is an excellent hotel. Friendly staff. Delicious food. The concierge, bellman, and front dest staff were very helpful in recommending great places to eat in the city. Pool was a perfect place to unwind after a long day.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your review!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Jefferson seems to take pride in old fashioned service and quiet elegance, which impressed and delighted me.

ATMOSPHERE

This place has integrity and history, and I haven't found another hotel in the world that can match it. I'm a student: I usually travel either on someone else's dime (organizations, stipends, etc.) and am comfortable in B&Bs (and even some hostels) as well as in as 5-star hotels. I do, however, appreciate hospitality and grace when I have the opportunity.

The Jefferson isn't flashy or gaudy, like some of the newer luxury hotels which rely on either molded plastic imitation-gold or trendy modern plastic to look expensive while keeping down costs. No hotel can have an oil painting in every single room, so instead of putting up ugly hotel art or cringe-worthy imitations, the Jefferson hangs delightful prints and sketches of historic places and scenes from Richmond.

The lobby is more beautiful than the Ritz in Berlin, the staff more welcoming than the Plaza hotel in New York, and the cocktails are definitely worth a go. The guests seem comfortable, relaxed, and friendly, not uptight or standoffish--I believe the atmosphere encourages this attitude as the hotel seems to understand that etiquette and propriety are not meant to alienate, exclude, or disdain but rather to make people feel at home.

AMENITIES

It's surprising how many nice hotels have rough towels and bathrobes, but the Jefferson's are plush and luxurious; I was tempted to steal them, I must admit. An older gentleman in my party mock-complained that he could hardly lift them, they were so generously large and heavy because of the quality of the material. I stayed for a week, and my bathrobes, towels, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hand towels, toilet paper, various other toiletries, and wine glasses were replaced every day, even if they hadn't been used up. If you forget any shaving cream, razors, etc., just ask at the front desk, and they'll give you whatever you need.

SERVICE

When I missed my wakeup call, they sent someone up to knock on my door to make sure I was up. The last hotel I asked for a wakeup call left the job to the automated phone and smart TV wake-up system. Although I don't blame the hotel, as it's my responsibility to wake up on time, I would have liked for them to be a bit more attentive and a bit less reliant on technology; call me old fashioned, but a hotel is not meant to be an impersonal boarding house. The lobby was welcoming, and I felt like I could sit there and read all day without being a bother. The staff would greet me with genuine smiles, and I could tell that they enjoyed working there--I find that the happiness and pride of the staff is a sure sign that a hotel is classy both up-front AND behind the scenes, which is important to me.

This hotel is my new favorite, and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and the many wonderful compliments about your experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very disappointed . The hotel is tired and needs refreshing. Front desk and concierge not up to par. This is definitely not the ritz Carlton or four seasons. We had our 2 children and the pull out couch in the suite was terrible. When we notified the front desk they magnanimously sent up a roll away bed free of charge.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Hmgregory

Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience caused by the sofa bed in your room. We appreciated the opportunity to address your concern during your stay and provide a rollaway, along with the credit to your room, as an immediate resolution. We have also taken care of the sofa bed in that room.

You have referenced some additional general concerns in your review and our Hotel Manager would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss those with you. We have direct messaged you via TripAdvisor with his contact information and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This historic hotel is well maintained, and the service is outstanding. We booked a deluxe room. It was very spacious and it included a small terrace, so we were able to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air in the evening.

There is a bar/restaurant off the lobby, where we enjoyed a light late dinner upon arrival. The food is casual, but well prepared, and the price was reasonable given the location. Also enjoyed an delicious breakfast at the hotel one morning.

The hotel has a complimentary car service which will drop you off and pick you up in the downtown area at no additional cost.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here, and would recommend it to anyone visiting Richmond.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars for the deluxe room. It was worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrJoelB
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Take a step back into history where great service was a matter of pride, hotel lobbies were meant to be lingered in, and the hotel bar was a gathering place for locals and guests. We just completed a weekend stay at The Jefferson, and I believe it was the best hotel stay my wife and I have had, at least since our honeymoon at the Drake 26 years ago. This place has an authentic charm and the staff take pride in their extraordinary level of hospitality. The bar at Lemaire is gorgeous and the Manhattans to die for. Worth visiting, even if you live in Richmond!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank your for your review and recommendation to visitors to Richmond and locals alike!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Jefferson is a majestic property in the heart of Richmond featuring every amenity demanding by any traveler, from the fountains when you arrive on the Courtyard to the Grand Staircase once rumored to be the one on "Gone with the Wind" (not true) to the fine restaurant Lemaire. Great people will take care of you in every way, closed for over 20 years but remodeled with the "flair" intact, being there is like traveling in time. By far the best in Richmond

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pedro C
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is an great property with a fascinating history. The rooms were large and well appointed and as you would expect. I echo the comments of most.
I'd not typically feel inclined to review a property of this size with such a fine reputation as it would be redundant.... That said, I wanted to call out the extraordinary service. Upon check in, there was a bit of a line. While I was waiting, I was playing with my iPhone and found a lower rate at a nearby hotel using the Hotel Tonight APP. When it was my turn on line, I was warmly greeted and advised the gentleman checking me in that I was going to cancel and save some money (not typically something I would do, but the price difference was about $100) and stay at the other property.
Without hesitation, he matched the rate and was extraordinarily polite.
Moving on, the concierge was just as nice and offered me the use of the property's shuttle to get to my meeting downtown. It was an overall great stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and for recognizing our helpful staff!