“Wow!”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Great Falls, Virginia
“Wow!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Well I came to the Jefferson Hotel all the way from Great Falls, Virginia (120 miles) to have their popular English High Tea…. what a disappointment. Reservation were required and the next reservations being accepted were for November (2 months away). Wow! Two months advance reservations just for tea. This must be real good stuff then and I am sure it is judging by the number of people, dressed for this special day. Thoroughly disappointed I decided to take a tour of this wonderful historic hotel. I can say this that I am coming back to Richmond to spend a weekend at this hotel, have their high tea and check out on Richmond as well, which I found out is a place many Washingtonians and rest of the country maybe missing out. The hotel speaks and smells history. There is always a special aroma associated with old bricks and woodwork. Walking down the hotel restaurant and lobby where afternoon tea was about to start I jealously watched a large crowd taking their seats, on perfectly set well decorated tables to start the affair of what is called High Tea. I asked myself, "so much formality just for tea" (I am used to high tea from a former british colony some decade ago. So had all the experience with the setup and offerings. It was Nostalgia that brought me to the Jefferson in the first place. I intend to come back in November.

Room Tip: My trip is not based on a nights stay. Though I can say, it will be worth whatever the cost
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Our sincere apologies that you arrived at the hotel and were not able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea as you had planned. We are delighted to hear, however, that you will be visiting with us again in November for an overnight stay and tea. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Jefferson!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
New York City
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here a weekend for a wedding and it was just as nice as one would expect.

The hotel lobby is as beautiful and old world, with the upper lobby also used for afternoon tea as it has a stained-glass atrium.

Staff is very welcoming and attentive. If you are not going far, the hotel car seemed always available to drip you off and pick you up nearby. Unlike other hotels, they offer to give you a lift before you even have to ask if the car is available. If you drive, the valet is very quick as they own the parking lot across the street.

The room was nicely appointed with a fireplace mantle that held an interesting old clock. Most importantly, bed was comfortable.

Bathroom fine, but a little tight and needs updating. They still have tubs with shower curtains, something any five star hotel would have updated years ago. Products are a good variety of Molton Brown.

The bar staff made EXCELLENT drinks. They are a cut above really good.

Also has a great indoor pool with lots of natural light.

Room Tip: Use Amex Platinum for a room upgrade. The hotel is large and likely to have upgrades available.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our stay at the Jefferson Hotel was wonderful! The beauty and elegance of the Jefferson is remarkable, with a stunning lobby, relaxing pool area and sundeck, and large and well-appointed rooms. On top of that, we felt the service was impeccable. We were always welcomed and aided graciously and felt pampered throughout our stay. We were there with a wedding party and the concierge even produced a spare jacket on very short notice when a guest discovered he had received the wrong size from the department store he ordered from. We will definitely stay at the Jefferson Hotel again if we return to Richmond - it provided a wonderful and relaxing getaway!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for sharing the story about our Concierge. So glad that they could help your friend!
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

The Jefferson Hotel is an excellent hotel. Friendly staff. Delicious food. The concierge, bellman, and front dest staff were very helpful in recommending great places to eat in the city. Pool was a perfect place to unwind after a long day.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Jefferson seems to take pride in old fashioned service and quiet elegance, which impressed and delighted me.

ATMOSPHERE

This place has integrity and history, and I haven't found another hotel in the world that can match it. I'm a student: I usually travel either on someone else's dime (organizations, stipends, etc.) and am comfortable in B&Bs (and even some hostels) as well as in as 5-star hotels. I do, however, appreciate hospitality and grace when I have the opportunity.

The Jefferson isn't flashy or gaudy, like some of the newer luxury hotels which rely on either molded plastic imitation-gold or trendy modern plastic to look expensive while keeping down costs. No hotel can have an oil painting in every single room, so instead of putting up ugly hotel art or cringe-worthy imitations, the Jefferson hangs delightful prints and sketches of historic places and scenes from Richmond.

The lobby is more beautiful than the Ritz in Berlin, the staff more welcoming than the Plaza hotel in New York, and the cocktails are definitely worth a go. The guests seem comfortable, relaxed, and friendly, not uptight or standoffish--I believe the atmosphere encourages this attitude as the hotel seems to understand that etiquette and propriety are not meant to alienate, exclude, or disdain but rather to make people feel at home.

AMENITIES

It's surprising how many nice hotels have rough towels and bathrobes, but the Jefferson's are plush and luxurious; I was tempted to steal them, I must admit. An older gentleman in my party mock-complained that he could hardly lift them, they were so generously large and heavy because of the quality of the material. I stayed for a week, and my bathrobes, towels, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hand towels, toilet paper, various other toiletries, and wine glasses were replaced every day, even if they hadn't been used up. If you forget any shaving cream, razors, etc., just ask at the front desk, and they'll give you whatever you need.

SERVICE

When I missed my wakeup call, they sent someone up to knock on my door to make sure I was up. The last hotel I asked for a wakeup call left the job to the automated phone and smart TV wake-up system. Although I don't blame the hotel, as it's my responsibility to wake up on time, I would have liked for them to be a bit more attentive and a bit less reliant on technology; call me old fashioned, but a hotel is not meant to be an impersonal boarding house. The lobby was welcoming, and I felt like I could sit there and read all day without being a bother. The staff would greet me with genuine smiles, and I could tell that they enjoyed working there--I find that the happiness and pride of the staff is a sure sign that a hotel is classy both up-front AND behind the scenes, which is important to me.

This hotel is my new favorite, and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and the many wonderful compliments about your experience.
Nashville
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very disappointed . The hotel is tired and needs refreshing. Front desk and concierge not up to par. This is definitely not the ritz Carlton or four seasons. We had our 2 children and the pull out couch in the suite was terrible. When we notified the front desk they magnanimously sent up a roll away bed free of charge.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Hmgregory
Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience caused by the sofa bed in your room. We appreciated the opportunity to address your concern during your stay and provide a rollaway, along with the credit to your room, as an immediate resolution. We have also taken care of the sofa bed in that room.

You have referenced some additional general concerns in your review and our Hotel Manager would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss those with you. We have direct messaged you via TripAdvisor with his contact information and we hope to hear from you soon.
Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This historic hotel is well maintained, and the service is outstanding. We booked a deluxe room. It was very spacious and it included a small terrace, so we were able to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air in the evening.

There is a bar/restaurant off the lobby, where we enjoyed a light late dinner upon arrival. The food is casual, but well prepared, and the price was reasonable given the location. Also enjoyed an delicious breakfast at the hotel one morning.

The hotel has a complimentary car service which will drop you off and pick you up in the downtown area at no additional cost.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here, and would recommend it to anyone visiting Richmond.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars for the deluxe room. It was worth it.
1 Thank MrJoelB
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014