“surprised this is a marriott property”

Residence Inn Richmond West End
Ranked #35 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 May 2013

wow... shocked that marriott has not pulled its name of this property

the positives-- its clean

the negatives

- completely rundown and not maintained. grass likely hasnt been cut in months
- fan in room is so loud you can hear it a few rooms over. it is so loud it hurts your ears
- furniture is arranged in a nonsensical way when you enter the room and the desk chair doesnt fit the desk.

i could go on, but this place truly isnt worth it. if you need to stay in the west end, there are better options available.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
RICWWGM, Owner at Residence Inn Richmond West End, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear MarkJMinneapolis:
I would like to thank you for taking the time of providing a Trip Advisor Review of the Residence Inn Richmond - West. We always welcome constructive criticism as a tool to improve our product.
I am very concerned about your perception of the hotel, as we try to provide the best guest experience throughout the property. I sincerely request that you contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your observations.
As a valued guest, I would like the opportunity to invite you re-visit our hotel in a better light, and hopefully you can leave with a much better feeling of our Richmond property.
At your service:
Residence Inn Richmond West

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We spent a lot of time in our suite as our grandson graduated from VCU. My husband and I spent Friday night here, and ate breakfast in the dining area downstairs. We then used the kitchen to heat NC barbecue and fried chicken for our picnic on Saturday. After the ceremonies and our meal on campus, we all (11 of us!) came back to our suite for a 3-hour visit before going out for dinner. It was great to have a coffee maker and a big fridge for drinks and snacks, and there was almost enough comfortable seating, too - the younger people used the floor and the bed. I feel sure they'd have brought a couple more chairs if we'd requested them. We did have a bit of a problem with a very, very loud air conditioning compressor, but that seemed to have been fixed on the second night. And I had a minor problem with the microwave that was attended to immediately - the service was truly terrific. We didn't have a chance to use the pool (and it was cool that day), but might on another visit. And we'll go back, I know. And their rates were cheaper than the Courtyard nearby.

Room Tip: A room away from the nearby access road might be better - I imagine those are on the south side. An...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This is the second year we've stayed at the Residence Inn West End while running in the Monument Ave 10K in Richmond. We'll be back again next year both at the race and the Residence Inn.

The rooms are large, clean and come with a queen bed, a sleeper sofa and a kitchenette. The hotel is well located, on Dickens Rd just off Broad St. It's easy to get to everything in Richmond - without having to worry about where to park (if you stay in a downtown hotel).

The room rate includes a buffet breakfast, which while nourishing, isn't exactly gourmet fare. But if you're in a hurry, want to save $$$, or like hotel food, it's perfectly acceptable.

The staff is friendly and helpful, parking is a snap and like most Marriott properties, provides an excellent, well-known value.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, it's safer and a bit less noisy when people walk by.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Stayed here as a "treat" with my son Easter weekend. Upgraded to a penthouse suite with 2nd floor bedroom. It was an especially nice property for an "extended stay" with a kitchen, which we like. Often times these hotels have a lot of wear and tear from families staying there and treating the rooms like cheap rental property, but not this hotel. It is very updated and modern with especially nice appliances and furniture. And a fireplace! My son and I enjoyed playing badminton too, and they provided the equipment! It is a little expensive, but for this trip it was worth every penny. Great front desk staff, as well.

Room Tip: The penthouse suites with bedroom upstairs are so spacious and nice! Worth the splurge!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
RICWWGM, Owner at Residence Inn Richmond West End, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear kt9222;
I would like to thank you for your kind evaluation of the Residence Inn Richmond West. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed your visit to Richmond. I will pass your comments on to our staff, they will be happy that you had a great time.
Residence Inn Richmond West

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We always stay at a Residence Inn when we can, and this is no exception. This hotel is CLEAN CLEAN!! The rooms are just like home. Spacious, with quality bedding, sofa and chairs, fireplace. Nice kitchens and baths, large closet and tv's. Very nice dining are for breakfast, with light dinners through the week. Close to downtown Richmond. They are pet friendly for those that have pets. Outdoor fire pit, badminton and basketball court and nice pool, guest laundry near the office.The staff is absolutely wonderful! Great breakfast, quiet at night, just a really wonderful place to stay. Anyone who complains about this place just likes to gripe! Absolutely no complaints!

Room Tip: Just pick one, they are all good! They do have ground and upper floor if this matters to you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear PILOT 42:
Thank you for your Trip Advisor comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn Richmond West. The staff and management are happy that you enjoyed your visit with us, and hope that you will consider us for your next visit to the Richmond area.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We travel to Richmond frequently and it's a toss-up as to where we stay, although Marriott usually wins. The staff here is extremely friendly, inquiring about the purpose of our trip, offering to help us with any suggestions about the area, etc. The living space is roomy and the bed comfortable. Even though there is coffee in the lobby there is a coffee maker in the room. I have learned to get a few liquid coffee creamers after checking in so I don't have to use the powdered stuff in the morning (hate it).
The breakfast in the morning was good, with lots of choices. My only complaint was a group of 4 loud people who were no longer eating but talking and taking up 3 tables. I am sure this is an awkward situation for the staff to handle. We cleared out, taking our coffee and tea back to our room so others could have a table.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear VALovetotravel123;
I would like to thank you on behalf of our associates for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Richmond West. I can understand your frustration about the others taking up the tables, as our seating in the dining area is somewhat at a premium. We are presently redesigning our seating structure, so during your next visit with us we will have more seating for breakfast.
We look forward to your next trip to Richmond.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We selected this hotel because of its proximity to family we were visiting. The positives were the very late arriving and tired guests experiencing a quick in and then 5 days later a quick check out. Overall was disappointed in this Residence Inn. Room was on 1st floor and damp as well as musty smelling. I was not a fan of the linens nor towels. The heat was noisy and bathroom fan noise intolerable. A great kitchen area and excellent appliances but we used only a few glasses and that was it. Breakfast was OK and staff pleasant.

I will never stay here again it was absolutely not what I have come to expect from a Marriott property.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Suzibluiss:
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott – Richmond West. I was alarmed by your disappointment during your stay. After a very wet February and March, the suite you occupied must have become damp, for that oversight, I truly apologize. Please contact me at 804-285-8200 to organize your next visit to our hotel so that I may have the opportunity to ensure that your room is completely up to Marriott standards. Again, I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction.
Residence Inn by Marriott