“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #45 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I don't know where to start. I can assure you that I have nothing positive to say about this hotel, its staff, or management. I booked a week long stay here when I was in town, and boy was that a mistake. My first room had a strong odor emanating from near the television. It smelled faintly like vomit, but vomit that had a heavy dose of deodorize trying to mask the smell. I asked the front desk to investigate, but they told me everything was fine. I was finally given a different room, which was clean. I guess I should not have wanted a clean room so badly though, so the cleaning crew left the door to my room open sometime during the day. I returned back to the hotel around 8:00 to find my door ajar, but luckily nothing missing.

When I reported this incident to the front desk staff, they just kind of looked at me like "Oh well." After repeated attempts to contact the manager (almost a week), he finally returned my calls and said that he would into it. Perfect! No apology, nothing. Just a half-hearted statement that he would talk to the cleaning crew.

As for the hot breakfast the hotel provides, don't waste your time. The biscuits are hard as rocks and the "sausage" and "eggs" they put out are almost as hard.

Oh yeah, someone was seemingly constantly smoking marijuana in the stairwell. Nothing of course was done about it.

Suffice it to say, I will NEVER go back. Steer clear and find a hotel that cares about its customers.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt M
JPManagement, Manager at Quality Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. We apologize for not providing you with the level of service that we should have. I have met with our Front Desk Manager in reference to your comment about the front desk staff. Additional coaching for the staff is in order. I have also spoke to our Executive Housekeeper in regards to your comments about the room and door being ajar. We take our guest security and safety very seriously and we have corrected this issue. We have spent a great deal of time, effort and money in the renovation and upgrade of our property, and we believe that we offer excellent value for the price. We appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused. We strive to exceed our guest expectations and we take all feedback very seriously and sincerely regret that you did not receive this during your stay. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you. We will work hard to earn your business back, and would invite you to discuss this matter with me further.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Recently stayed here and was very disappointed with the cleaning service. Found the room safe stuffed with dirty towels. Told the desk about this and the towels were still there 3 days later when we left. The room was cleaned but the floors were not swept or moped, dirty towels were piled up inside the door and never taken out. the prices are great, breakfast is good, and the people at the front dest are very helpful and friendly. We will stay there again but hope they get the housekeeping staff on the ball.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom M
globalhospitalitymgt, General Manager at Quality Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was the only hotel we could find on race weekend with less than 24hrs notice, otherwise we would not have paid the booking rate for such a place. It was clean and appeared to be retro-fitted. Remolded is too nice of a term. Upon our initial check in, we were given keys to a room which had not been cleaned. No big deal, as that situation was quickly rectified. We did find leftovers in the fridge from previous tenants, but the rest of the room was orderly. The A/C blew nice and cold and the noise was minimal considering the location to Broad St. and the abundance of youth basketball teams staying there. The staff was most professional and courteous. We did not sample the breakfast, but through it was unique that the dining hall was in several converted hotel rooms. All in all, I've had worse and I've had better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 April 2014

As soon as I walked in I was reminded of being in Times Square New york on new years they have a beautiful center piece that takes you there . The staff was really courteous and friendly they checked me in a fast and friendly manner. The rooms were clean and very well equipped the bed was really comfortable . After a good night sleep they provided a great breakfast.This hotel was really great I will return again . This

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our soccer team stayed here during the weekend of March 15th, 2014. You could tell it was an old hotel that was remodeled. The interior decorating in the lobby was well done but it was hit and miss in the individual rooms. While none of the rooms were that bad, some rooms were nicer than others. The heating/airconditioning units and the vent system in the bathrooms worked but were very noisy in some rooms. Breakfast was so-so. But given the price we paid, it was a decent bargain. And the front desk staff, Jamel, and the general manager, Duke, were absolutely terrific! They were very accommodating and helped our team in every way they could.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

In town for Jefferson Cup soccer showcase. Great location for travel to fields. Saved 45% compared to rest of team and had a nicer room. Elevator repair taking place, so management ordered pizzas for the whole place Saturday night to make up for a little inconvenience. Great service.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

First and foremost the staff is wonderful! So very welcoming and friendly. I had a initial key issue and the manager went out of his way to make sure the situation was remedied . The desk staff was very helpful in helping us find a great restaurant . The room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The decorating is a bit unusual, however, for the VERY reasonable price, it can be overlooked. The breakfast is in a large room away from the lobby. The selection is your typical hotel breakfast, however the staff is there to assist any way they can. They make sure everything is stocked, and they went out of their way to assist another customer. As stated in another review, there is no work out room or pool. The hotel is very close to shopping and restaurants. All within walking distance. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
globalhospitalitymgt, General Manager at Quality Inn West End, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Our goal at the Quality Inn West End, is to continually provide excellent rooms and amenities with exceptional guest service for our guest. So I hope we were able to achieve this goal with you during your recent stay.

First and formost, let me humbly apologize for your keys not working properly and I was glad to be of assistance. Secondly, not sure how you were misinformed about our pool, but we do have a very nice newly renovated seasonal out door pool at the hotel, just wasn't opened yet during your stay with us. On the issue of the fitness center, again my apologies, however, we are in the process of making plans to have one available at our hotel in the very near future.

Once again, your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We very much appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,