“Virginia General Assembly Session”

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Tappahannock
“Virginia General Assembly Session”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I have stayed at the Richmond Crowne Plaza Downtown for many years while the Virginia General Assembly is in session. The stays lasts 4-5 days a week during January and February. The hotel has always been top knotch but the last two years the service and staff have gotten even better. At the desk Kenya, Jeanne, and Michell are always helpful and friendly The shuttle service to and from the Capitol is a must for me. Pete, Ed, and Andrew are always there when I need them and they are much appreciated. The restaurant staff is extremely accomodating. The addition of the Prority Club Social on Wednesday nights has been fun.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Gordon F, Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I truely appreciate you noting our most valuable asset here at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, our employees. The hotel has employees that truely care on a daily basis...Again thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

C. Scott Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Generally speaking, I trust Crowne Plaza chain, as I've stayed in several of them over the years - really enjoyed one in D.C. and in Phoenix - nice middle-class crowd, robes, little nice satin bag in your bed with the room spay, ear plugs, eye mask.... Not here! Not even complimentary coffee, that became a must even in cheap motels - none!!!! Stuff do not wear their name tugs, the only women whose name I know is very friendly Althea - during the check out she introduced herself, and her name tug was visible. Room was O.K., I'm glad I choose the one on the club floor (16th), and got a nice river view, but the pool was dirty floor wet, and the stuff member casually walked in, through a couple of towels on the floor, picked them up, and called it a day. Looker room was filthy, someone even smoked in it, and when I came back next morning, the same dirty paper towels and empty shampoo bottles, and even the same empty cigarretes carton on the same places. Come on, guests don't have to point it out - you are the ones who have to be on the top of the situation! Overall, I wish I choose the Embassy Suites that is not in downtown, but feels better - we stopped on the way back just to check it out for the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the club level room and bring the ear plugs!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Blendedbunch, I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I consider this input valuable to our management team. I apoligize for your experience at our hotel. I believe what you have stated to be very true that you need to be able to Trust a brand such as the Crowne Plaza. I can assure you that this type of service does not meet expectation. I will take this infomation to our department heads to be applied in our daily training. Again thank you!

Southington, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

A great place to stay when staying in the Richmond, Virginia area. We found the staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Although the room was a bit on the small side it was clean and had all the conveniences one is looking for including refigerator, microwave, large flat-screen tv and a very comfortable bed. The view from our room on an upper floor looked over the city.The indoor swimming pool and spa are just steps away from the elevator on the first floor. We found this Crowne Plaza to be the perfect place to rest, eat and drink after a long days drive.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear dodger16, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Your wonderful comments are greatly appreciated.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I loved our stay at this wonderful hotel in downtown Richmond. We were lucky to have had such a beautiful weekend, and could take walks around the town. The staff were so gracious, and were so helpful with directions when we needed them. My husband is from this area, so being able to come back and stay at a lovely hotel is always nice.

Room Tip: We did nothing special, and were treated special.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Byron H, thank you your business and taking the time to pass on valuable comments about our staff. For the staff to take ownership and apply problem resolution to any issues is truely what we want to happen on a daily basis. Andrew and Whitney both are a great example of staff that truely care! Again thank you for these comments.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Please recognize a member of your staff who epitomizes quality and takes customer service to a new level. I checked in on 18 January . . .the HVAC in my room was broken. The technician dispatched, Whitney tried to fix the unit but it was toast. He then went to the desk, got me a new room, new keys and then helped me move to my new room assignment. What a pleasure and Whitney is a top performer.

Andrew Ruffin also makes customer service a part of his every action. Neat, personable, and efficient he made my departure the start for my return. I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the James River . . .some great sunsets!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Byron H
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 3 October 2015
Thank you for your feedback.
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My family and I stayed there for few nights. Brandon Harvey at the front desk took care of us. He is such a wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable man. Always smiling. His recommendation for restaurants were great. The other staff were also very friendly. The room was nice and clean with a great view of the James river. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: make sure you walk over the James river to the Belle Isle.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My sister and I had a great experience with the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown. Staying the night was a last minute decision, so we searched for a decent place downtown. After thinking about our options, we decided to go with the Crowne Plaza and I'm glad that we did. I would rate this hotel 3.5-4 stars.

Reception/Lobby: Very nice lobby. It was clean and bright, and we both thought that it was nicely decorated. The front desk receptionist was also great and made our check-in go smoothly. They have valet service available, although we didn't use it.

They have a small indoor pool and exercise room close to the reception area. The pool is not very big, but I think its nice to have especially in the winter time. Its also open until 11pm, which is nice. We might have used it if we stayed longer than one day.

Room: Our room had two double beds. The room was clean, beds looked great (no gross polyester bed spread) and we were pleasantly surprised by the microwave and mini fridge. The bathroom was also nice with granite/marble floors and counter tops. The tub itself did look a bit dated, but it was clean and the shower head was new and nice, so no problem there. The one con is the lack of ventilation in the room/bathroom. We took hot showers that steamed up the entire room and left fog on the main window. There was no vent in the bathroom so we just had to give it time to fade away.

Parking: There was plenty of free street parking but we opted to pay $10 and park in the garage to be on the safe side. This was fine. The only tip is to remember to have your parking pass validated!

We were offered a breakfast for two for an additional $5 when we checked in. It was well worth that price. The food was tasty and the dining space was very nice!

I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends