“overnight stay in richmond”

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
White Haven, Pennsylvania
“overnight stay in richmond”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed in Richmond on our way to visit family in South Carolina. Per TripAdvisor reviews we chose to stay at Crowne Plaza. After an exhausting trip down Rt 95 we checked in the hotel around 9pm. Front desk service was good although desk clerk did not seem to know the area very well. Room was city view , king bed with nice size bathroom. The fridge, microwave and coffee machine was a very nice touch. Room was small but clean with great comfortable bed.
The hotel is only a few blocks from the Canal walk which we did following dinner (Tarrants).
Parking was in an underground garage, well lighted with elevator access to main lobby and was FREE. Good on and off access to I95 also. Overall very nice I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for city view it was worth it and use your AAA discount it saved us a few dollars :)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flowie_22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
Jacksonville, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I took my parents, both in their 80's, for my nephew's graduation in Richmond. Though we experienced room problems (which were satisfactorily resolved) the stay was made more than satisfactory by the staff. We had two excellent drivers, Ed and Anthony, who took us to and from restaurants. They each took care to assist my parents safely in and out of the van.
Althea assisted us quickly and with such warmth many times. Deanna and Michelle worked diligently to resolve our problem and made sure we were all comfortable. Kenya made us welcome at check-in and the breakfast crew were all quick and efficient with service and our special requests.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed in this new hotel in April 2012. Clean hotel with very comfy beds. Good breakfast but complicated charging system. Free shuttle into town with drop off just where you want to be, just a call (the bar/restaurant will kindly do this for you) and the driver will come back for you. Our ‘out of touch’ Tour Director advised us not to walk around the area but when we mentioned this to locals in the Capital Ale House they were furious and said it was perfectly safe, and the many on our tour who happily did, agreed with them. About the bars, Capital Ale House definitely worth a mention, we opened the door a fabulous selection of tap beers from Sierra Nevada and it just so happened that it was the $2 a burger and fries night. Lucky us! Each night has a themed food special. The place was buzzing. Also recommend the Tobacco Company, we had a fab meal, two live bands and the ambience of a boudoir. The inside of this place can’t be described to give it justice- it just has to be seen. The atrium and feeling of the place is fantastic. The doorman helped us out of the free hotel shuttle, took a card from the driver and asked us to nod when we were ready to leave, he stood in the rain waiting for the shuttle and came in to tell us it had arrived. Excellent service can’t recommend enough.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Krumblelover
Saskatoon
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

A nice hotel, very good beds...a comfortable sleep is worth every penny. Friendly and helpful staff. A few quirks, like the bathroom door lock was installed backwards (meaning you could lock someone inside the bathroom from the outside). But that did not deter from the basic good rating of this hotel.

Stayed April 2012
greensboro,nc
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Because of Janet and David at the front desk taking quick and unusual action my wife is safe. After having to handle this unusual request of calling EMS as I was at home in Greensboro,n.c When I drove up to Richmond from Greensboro Janet checked me into the Crowne Plaza and made me feel very comfortable. She handled all of my request such as parking, breakfast, and late check out with a very personal touch.She really took a personal interest in my wife's condition. I really appreciate how she made me feel in this situation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jimmy a
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Jimmy A, Thank you for the heartfelt feedback... We are glad your wife is safe. I will share this update and wonderful review with Janet and David. We are looking forward to your future visits.

C. Scott Jones
Waycross, Georgia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here on business, and this is a nice hotel. It's very clean and the staff are very friendly. Nothing, however, makes this a real special hotel. Everything was good, but nothing was great.

I'm not one to care about a hotel being real upscale so I get turned off my expensive restaurants and room service, and no free continental breakfast. I know this isn't the place to offer a free breakfast, but $12.50 for a decent one is a bit much for me. I'd rather stay a few blocks away at the Holiday Inn Express.

This hotel is conveniently located downtown, so you'll find plenty to do close by. This isn't exactly my favorite, but there's nothing to worry about if you do stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Micheal Aho, I would like to thank for staying with our hotel and providing valuable feedback. I apoligize that our Front Desk staff did not offer to sign you up for our Priority Rewards Club that features many amedities as you have mentioned in your review. I will continue to try and communicate so that we can sign you up for a future date.

C. Scott Jones
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here because we had a corporate discount code, so it was very reasonably priced. The front desk clerk when we checked in was preoccupied doing something else, and we had to prompt her to turn her attention to us. We were also supposed to get a small bottle of wine, which she failed to give us, but the other couple traveling with us--who checked in an hour later--received it. Otherwise, pretty nice but standard hotel. When we complained to the manager, he sent a letter, but that was it. Would stay again, but not expecting great service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback!