“I wish there was a 3.5 in the rating scale”

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Kent, Ohio
“I wish there was a 3.5 in the rating scale”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The hotel itself is definitely a 3. It could use some work. The door to my room had about a .25" gap all the way around it so it let in a LOT of light. The AC was noisy but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom looked to have been recently remodeled. The staff was what almost made this place a 4, they were absolutely terrific,.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pkelly8
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for your observations from your recent stay. We have made a minor adjustment taking care of the gap and also adjusted the a/c so that it runs much more quiet. Again that you for your business and our staff as you said are Terrific!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
Lancaster, Pa
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here for the Richmond Color Run with 2 friends. Check in was slow as there was a long line (of mostly other runners) and only 2 people at the desk. Other than that I don't have any complaints. We even received free continetal breakfasts for our stay that we did not know about. We heard noise in the halls in the morning, but that's typical of most hotels. We enjoyed the bar with starbucks coffee and the breakfast buffet had a lot of nice options. Overall we had a good experience and would stay here again. The location is only a few blocks from the farmers market, cobblestone streets and the canal walk.

Room Tip: They have a 'quiet' section on the 13th floor. We did not stay there but saw a sign advertis...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank philliesfan80
Dear Philliesfan80, thank for booking our Color Run package with your friends!! Breakfast included is a great deal. Our 24 hour Starbucks pantry has been a hit! Our Crowne Plaza management team also had a great time participating in the Color Run. See you next year for the 2013 run..
Dallas
Reviewed 4 September 2012

i have stayed here a couple times for breakfast. The rooms as decent (as one would expect) but the walls are just so thin that i can hear the guy next to me dialing the phone and talking at 3am, not his fault that the hotel is poorly built. The breakfast offering is ok, the guy cooking at the live station did a VERY poor job. I was quite disappointed and wish they had a bit more to offer

Room Tip: get one away from the elevators and hopefully no one staying on either side, but how would you know...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank popo-tx
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback!
Accokeek, Maryland
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at the Crown Plaza this weekend and were expecting to find a nice clean room. We were sadly mistaken. My daughter spilled some water on the carpet in the room and when I went to clean it up the towel came up brown! So GROSS!! The beds were uncomfortable and the couch didn't pull out forcing our son to sleep in just the couch instead of a bed. We asked for a crib at check in (5pm) and when we got back to the hotel after dinner (7:30pm) still no crib. We called again and waited 30 minutes for it to be delivered. The walls were also paper thin allowing us to hear EVERYTHING from the hall and the next room. Very disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bet1550
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Bet1550,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am delighted that you found our location commendable. I apologize your stay was negatively affected by the cleanliness of the room accommodations received. I wish to thank you for your valuable comments as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bristol, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 September 2012

In town for a weeding. Under time constraints to sign in, get Grandsons outfitted with tuxes, and go to a rehearsal. Front desk was super in letting us sign in early, helped us with a shuttle to the rehearsal dinner and the next day to the reception. Everyone with whom we interacted was polite, helpful, and cheerful. Clean spacious rooms were great, price was competitive, and would stay there again. Can't emphasize the level of quality service in all parts of our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mooseman14
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 3 October 2015
Thank you for your feedback.
singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Dated furnishings and long wait for elevators which also stop at every floor takes away the joy of staying at this otherwise great hotel. Buffet breakfast was a daily event to look forward to with friendly servers and a decent spread. Good that this remains a business hotel, which would otherwise be passed over by comfort seeking leisure travelers like me.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear instantclick,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I am pleased you liked our breakfast. I also appreciate the compliments on the breakfast staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. On the other hand, I am sorry that you encountered some issues with the elevator. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen Gray
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I think the biggest issue I had with this hotel was that it was not the quality I was expecting. I had stayed in Crowne Plaza’s in other cities in the past, and historically, the name is associated with luxury. The Crown Plaza in Richmond was not luxurious in any capacity. Certain standard amenities I would expect at a Crowne Plaza that are not offered at this hotel include: valet parking, on demand movie rental, in-room bar, and high quality room service. There was a choice of 1 bad bottle of red wine or 1 bad bottle of white wine to be delivered to the room.
If I was paying to stay in a lower-end hotel, I would have been happy with what I was provided, but I was paying to stay in the Crowne Plaza.

Besides the lacking standard amenities offered in high-end hotels, the food at the hotel restaurant was horrible (and cold). I should have taken a hint when we walked into an empty restaurant at 6:30 on a Friday night.

Our room was OK. It had a low-quality fake wooden laminate flooring that felt like plastic, and all the cleaning room had swiffers on their carts, which I thought was funny. One other item about the room was that the walls were paper thin. We could hear everything happening in the halls, even if it was just someone walking down the hallway, not talking. Overally, probably not a place I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback!