“Helpful Staff!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Helpful Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

I was attending a conference and one of the conference attendees pinched my phone and wallet. The hotel staff were VERY helpful in helping me to locate my stolen property - which they recovered two days later in the trash. I worked closely with both the hotel staff and the Conference Organizer throughout those two difficult days and I've decided to write this review because of my wonderful experience and because of the Organizer's comments about her interactions with the hotel - she couldn't have been more positive and pleased with their services.
Thank you!!

3 Thank Erin K
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 3 October 2015
Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
Powhatan, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

It is now a little over a week since I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Richmond Downtown. I have had time to reflect on the experience and have decided to write my first Trip Advisor review. I want to share my experience with others considering not just a stay at this facility, but for anyone who is looking to host a large group in the Richmond area.

I hosted a weekend event with almost 300 attendees. It was a very positive experience, because the staff was terrific from Lisa, the Sales Manager, Lori, the Beverage and Event Coordinator, and the two wonderful men, Zsolt and Ben who worked so hard to meet all of our needs. These personnel were flexible, detail oriented and always available both before the event and throughout the weekend.

At one time, I asked for the temperature to be adjusted in the ballroom and it was taken care of immediately. Another time a sink in the women's restroom was overflowing, and it also was taken care of immediately. The staff was very polite and efficient.

Throughout the weekend, I had several meals. One morning, I experienced the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. It was delicious and offered more choices than any person could eat. I also enjoyed a buffet breakfast set for a meeting and served outside of the restaurant. It, too, was delicious and the thirty women who enjoyed it agreed. Our largest food event was a plated meal for almost 300 women. Evaluations were very positive as to the taste, quantity of food and the service. I also enjoyed dinner with twenty-two others in the restaurant on Saturday evening. Our experience was again a positive one. There was no problem with this number ordering off the menu and paying with separate checks. What a pleasure!

I stayed three nights and found my room to be very comfortable, clean and quiet. Staff in the hallways always greeted me politely and once when they saw the amount of items I was attempting to carry, offered to help.

Parking in downtown Richmond is not always a pleasure, but having an attached parking deck at the Crowne Plaza with elevators to the lobby or meeting rooms was another plus for our group.

All in all, hosting an event at this hotel was a pleasurable experience. I hope to return and once again host a meeting in this facility.

3 Thank lvscotties
THank you for your feedback.
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I am a frequent traveler. I am a "Platinum" rewards member with Marriott, and I always choose their properties when possible. I travel extensively domestically and internationally, and I can say without fear of hesitation that I have NEVER had an experience in a hotel - be it with the room itself or with the hotel food - that was as bad as what happened to me at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Richmond this week.

Upon arrival in my room around 9 p.m., the first thing I noticed was that the toilet seat was up, as if a man had just used the restroom. I put my things down and turned down the bed to sit down. My eyes immediately landed on a large spot on the sheets that, honestly, looked like dried semen. I called the front desk to report that the sheets needed to be changed.

In the meantime, I ordered room service. I selected the portobella mushrooms stuffed with spinach, tomatoes and feta. The entree arrived within 30 minutes, as promised, but it was disgusting. It was barely warm, and the filling was so watery ... it tasted terrible. The asparagus was thick and tough and also barely room temperature. So, I paid $30 for an entree that was inedible.

At 10:30, nobody had come to change the sheets - an hour and a half after I reported it. So, I called again, and someone from housekeeping came up. She tried to tell me that the sheets were clean, and that was just a stain that didn't wash out of the sheets, but she would change them if I wanted. I asked her to.

After she left, I went into the bathroom for the first time. I had to put the toilet seat down, and as I did, I noticed that the toilet hadn't been cleaned in so long that there was pink mildew in the toilet. Then I glanced over at the bathtub. There was hair in the bathtub, on the washcloth that was folded on the tub and there were stains on the edge of the tub that looked like bath products had been left there too long.

As if I wasn't already totally grossed out, I definitely was then. I'll be honest ... if I could have done without a shower the next day, I would have. I couldn't WAIT to check out of that room and that hotel. There were three towels in my bathroom. All three of them had spots or stains of some sort on them and looked like they had seen better days.

I joined a colleague for breakfast in the hotel's restaurant the next morning. I ordered a mushroom and swiss omelet, and he had a ham and cheese omelet. I cut into mine, and it was so greasy that grease came running out all over the plate. His looked like it just had slices of American cheese in the middle of the omelet with some lunch-meat ham.

We then went to a meeting hosted by Dominion Power, which is headquartered right across the street from this hotel. There were boxed lunches served. After my two horrible meal experiences at the hotel, I was not about to eat that food, and it was a good thing, since the woman sitting next to me had taken a few bites of her salad when she suddenly said, "Oh, my gosh! There's a BUG in my salad!"

So, let me recap:

Dirty sheets that took 1.5 hours to get changed
A toilet seat that was up when I entered the hotel room and a toilet with mildew in it
A dirty bathtub and 3 towels, all of which had spots on them
A $30 cold, inedible room-service entree
A greasy, amateur-looking omelet
A bug in a boxed salad served to a woman in a meeting

Honestly, if I were Crowne Plaza, I would be embarrassed to have my brand associated with this property and this staff. You had an opportunity to win over someone who is very loyal to another major brand, and Crowne Plaza/InterContinental Hotels Group failed miserably. Instead, all of my Twitter followers heard about your missteps in real time.

1 Thank Bobakanoah
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for your notes, and we apoligize that your stay was not pleasant, as we discovered through these TripAdvisor comments. The issues mentioned are not typical of a guest stay here- our TripAdvisor guest comments have earned us the 2012 TripAdvisor Excellence Award, so you can imagine we were taken back by your experience. I would like to personally welcome you back to our Hotel , for a complimentary overnight stay, so that you can experience the excellence in service that our staff prides itself on delivering to our guests.
Kent, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

The hotel itself is definitely a 3. It could use some work. The door to my room had about a .25" gap all the way around it so it let in a LOT of light. The AC was noisy but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom looked to have been recently remodeled. The staff was what almost made this place a 4, they were absolutely terrific,.

1 Thank pkelly8
Thank you for your observations from your recent stay. We have made a minor adjustment taking care of the gap and also adjusted the a/c so that it runs much more quiet. Again that you for your business and our staff as you said are Terrific!!
Lancaster, Pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here for the Richmond Color Run with 2 friends. Check in was slow as there was a long line (of mostly other runners) and only 2 people at the desk. Other than that I don't have any complaints. We even received free continetal breakfasts for our stay that we did not know about. We heard noise in the halls in the morning, but that's typical of most hotels. We enjoyed the bar with starbucks coffee and the breakfast buffet had a lot of nice options. Overall we had a good experience and would stay here again. The location is only a few blocks from the farmers market, cobblestone streets and the canal walk.

Room Tip: They have a 'quiet' section on the 13th floor. We did not stay there but saw a sign advertis...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank philliesfan80
Dear Philliesfan80, thank for booking our Color Run package with your friends!! Breakfast included is a great deal. Our 24 hour Starbucks pantry has been a hit! Our Crowne Plaza management team also had a great time participating in the Color Run. See you next year for the 2013 run..
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

i have stayed here a couple times for breakfast. The rooms as decent (as one would expect) but the walls are just so thin that i can hear the guy next to me dialing the phone and talking at 3am, not his fault that the hotel is poorly built. The breakfast offering is ok, the guy cooking at the live station did a VERY poor job. I was quite disappointed and wish they had a bit more to offer

Room Tip: get one away from the elevators and hopefully no one staying on either side, but how would you know...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank popo-tx
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback!
Accokeek, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at the Crown Plaza this weekend and were expecting to find a nice clean room. We were sadly mistaken. My daughter spilled some water on the carpet in the room and when I went to clean it up the towel came up brown! So GROSS!! The beds were uncomfortable and the couch didn't pull out forcing our son to sleep in just the couch instead of a bed. We asked for a crib at check in (5pm) and when we got back to the hotel after dinner (7:30pm) still no crib. We called again and waited 30 minutes for it to be delivered. The walls were also paper thin allowing us to hear EVERYTHING from the hall and the next room. Very disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bet1550
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Bet1550,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am delighted that you found our location commendable. I apologize your stay was negatively affected by the cleanliness of the room accommodations received. I wish to thank you for your valuable comments as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.