“Fitness room needs to be updated”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Was here recently for a couple of nights on business.
The location's in downtown Richmond was good, as it afforded proximity to several dining places nearby. Room was comfy enough, ventilation system worked.....however, decor was not my favorite. Door latch needs to be replaced as it was just a patch up on a previously broken one.

The fitness room is one place that I utilize a lot in my travels....thence this review. Treadmills, stepper and an elliptical machines are adequate. One big multi-exercise machine and a stack of free weights pretty much make up the equipment there. However, there is rust everywhere....from the joints of the machines to the door hinges. On top of that, cobwebs and dust are all over. There is dust/cobwebs even at the ventilation vents. This place looked like it was last cleaned months ago. Not good if you are allergic to dust mites.
The walls were painted a weird salmon and pale green color, very gaudy. While I did manage to do a decent workout, it wasn't appealing, and definitely needs to be refurbished.
Not necessarily brand new equipment, ....but perhaps better maintenance, and a more pleasing color scheme.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ScottJones, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Dear Jon C, we appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in future.

There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I come into Richmond approx. 6 times per year and usually stay at The Jefferson. The last two times (November and December), because of The Jefferson being booked, VCU has placed me at the Crowne Plaza. I had not been a customer since probably 2004 or so. There are A LOT of efficiency issues that keep this hotel from being an average option for those visiting downtown Richmond. For example:

- The parking situation is absolutely rage-inducing. You park in a deck connected to the hotel, and even though there's a large sign telling overnight guests to use their hotel keys to enter and exit, it's "not working yet" according to the front desk. Instead, one must grab a ticket and then get it stamped/validated at the front desk. This seems okay in theory, but what do you do when there is a line of 10 or more people waiting to check in and 1 or 2 employees behind the desk? You will wait (as I did on several occasions) for upwards of 20-30 minutes. On the last occasion, I finally looked over and saw two bell-hops doing nothing in the corner and asked them if they could do it for me. They WERE, indeed, able to do so. Then why in the world were they standing there the entire time looking at a guy with no luggage and holding a parking ticket in his hand? Also, getting out of the parking deck between 5 and 6:30 PM is a nightmare. Plan for at least 15 minutes to do so. The reason being, a busy stoplight and intersection is immediately to the right of the deck, meaning it takes forever for those exiting to get out.

Other than that issue (which is HUGE to me), the following were aesthetic issues I have encountered:

- The hotel, while seemingly clean, never feels so. It's so run down in the rooms, that you just kind of feel dirty being in them.
- The bathroom is horrible. My last room (1120) had a toilet that barely flushed and needed repeated attempts to do so. I know they were aware of the issue before my arrival because the toilet tank was ajar when I arrived.
- Lots of mold in the grout of the 1980s era tile in the bathtub.
- The shower curtain of all the rooms I've stayed in there are much too short in width. There's at least a foot on both sides exposing you to the air of the room.
- I'm only 5'7'', so not a big deal for me, but the shower heads are SO LOW, anyone that's 5'9'' or taller will probably be standing higher than the water.
- Peeling wallpaper all over.
- No smart phone charger / adapter like most hotels have now (usually with the alarm clock).
- Many outlets don't even work in the room.
- The TV is so bad. The channels don't line up with the TV guide in the rooms, and the remotes never get you to the channel you want. Also, many channels aren't HD, so the picture is fuzzy.
- Elevators are really in sorry shape. They are not in any way shape or form becoming up a nice hotel. They need a makeover.

Overall, while the staff seems polite enough, this is just NOT worth the trouble of staying here. It's not efficient and certainly not welcoming. I've seen other hotel chains that are marketed to a more mass audience with much nicer surroundings for both personal and professional travelers.

In this case, CROWN Plaza is certainly not a regal representation of the brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear jmfisher, thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. I do apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I am happy to report that this weekend we are completing the complete renovation of our entire elevator systems in the building! We are also excited to report the new exit construction that will now allow the larger flow of traffic to the south of our hotel to connect to the expressway. Again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had a conference this weekend; Ben and Orlando (Train) and Phillip were exceptionally helpful and just gave the entire hotel a positive vibe. Front desk manager was confused throughout the attendees' check-in process for our meeting, but the staff was wonderful! Tiffany is one of the best conference planners I work with.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you Sandy for taking the time to provide your feedback. We sincerely apreciate you mentioning our employees by name so that we can pass on the praise. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I had an overall great stay at this hotel in Richmond. The shuttle was a bit tardy, but apologies were offered, and great service ensued. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Richmond. The check in was a bit slow, but not the worst I've encountered. The rooms were clean and neat. The staff were professional and affable. The main restaurant is not where you want to be. The lounge off the lobby downstairs is quite nice. I went in to order a sandwich to go. I left full and happy! The happy hour consists of "FREE" house wine And beer! Also, a buffet-like layout of fruit/cheese trays stir fry meats, spring rolls, and cake! Did I mention, the staff are great? I highly recommend this hotel for your next stay in Richmond.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Rico M, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. The IHG Rewards upgrades are great and have been a big hit!! I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Rooms were a little old and run down appearing but clean. The hotel staff was quite slow checking us into our room and they were not particularly friendly. Parking was free on the streets on the weekend which was a plus. I would likely not stay here again given the other options in Richmond.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear unccbm, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Just today we completed our marble flooring leading to our Cafe and Banquet facilities. Our elevator remodel will be completed this week and most exciting new lighting for our rooms this winter. Again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was a guest at the CP during the 2013 Anthem Richmond Marathon (I finished by the way) and the hotel was off the beaten path a bit but still in close proximity to other host hotels, food and the race start line. This hotel is actually the closest to the finish line which was really great at the end of the race but not good for other non race guest as the parking deck was closed the entire day due to the race. Check in was quick even with a lenghty line - and front desk clerks were pleasant and helpful (free wine a check in helped). Parking during check in was a made house but there is a deck as well as street and municipal parking very close to the hotel. Lobby area was nice but small and I did not take advantage of the in hotel restaurant but the lobby coffee was fresh and hot. The hotel also has an indoor pool and hot tub right on the first floor and an attached small but usable fitness facility. Room and bathrooms were spacious with nice work and sitting area and WI FI was free and fast - normally unheared up for a downtown hotel. Parking is 12 bucks per day for in and out but you can find closer and cheaper parking if you desire.

Room Tip: I was on the 14th floor with a view of the downtown.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emjai1920
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Emjai, thank you for providing great feedback! Congrats on Finishing the Marathon and we hope to see before next years race! Perhaps the Ukrop's 10K!!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Our room flooded from a serious tub leak the first night, the staff promptly sent a wonderful man named Earl to our room and he quickly fixed the tub, put down mats to soak up the water reassuring us all the time that he had things under control. When we checked out we were comped for the inconvience. Everybody was so friendly and helpful. The bartender from Hungary was delightful. My daughter had a good marathon and except for a damp floor we had a wonderful time at the hotel

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the river and had a wonderful view of the river, bridges and train tracks.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Clark D, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am glad that our Maintenance team reacted to the issue and resolved. I am thankful that your family had a successful Marathon weekend...