“Bbrrrrrrrr main rooms freezing... Guest rooms burning up.”

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
“Bbrrrrrrrr main rooms freezing... Guest rooms burning up.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Everytime I stepped out of my room it felt like a blast of arctic air. Gave up on my room heater, the wall panels are thirty years old. Maintenance replaced a part my second night and it was working fine than the temp would not go below 69 degrees so I just shut it off. The cold air from the windows kept the air fresh. The shuttle service is okay, they only want to take you to places with a mile or so. The restaurant is okay and they offer a breakfast buffet, if it is complimentary, go for it otherwise go out. I cannot imagine that I will ever go back. Oh, the view of the James river from my window was a pleasure I will always remember.

Room Tip: Odd numbers have a view of the James.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Lovemousakka, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize that you experienced difficulty with your room temperature. It is our goal to make sure you are comfortable during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Staff is polite, friendly and appears to want to make guest happy. Breakfast is the best buffet. Super hotel

Scott Jones, GM is always around talking with guest which gives the hotel a more personal flavor. He wants to please all the guest himself.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear VAGirl1, thank you for taking the time to provide your review and feedback. Our staff and management work daily in an attempt to communicate and provide customer service that our guest deserve. Again thank you for the feedback.
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here for several nights in early 2014. I spend at least 40 weeks a year on the road in hotels and rarely complain about the cleanliness of rooms, but upon check-in the room floor was disgusting and had clearly not seen a vacuum for quite some time. In the search for my car key (I'll get to that later), I discovered old candy wrappers from a previous guest under the dust ruffle and large dead bugs at the base of the floor lamp. It was nasty. I realize that vacuums are noisy and noise means complaints, but there has to be an answer. The hallways were spotless, but the bathtub was also 99% clogged. I don't know how housekeeping can miss that while cleaning the shower tub.

The front desk staff was terrible. I had several packages over the course of my stay. Only one was logged and never once was I notified that anything had arrived. On some occasions a desk employee would 'look' for my package and tell me they didn't have anything (several hours after delivery), but then someone else would find it for me 10 minutes later when I came back.

My group had several shared cars and the keys were left at the desk in envelopes with 4 or 5 names on them. This is a standard practice for my group and many other similar groups traveling across the country. This front desk staff managed to loose the keys and separate them from their envelopes many times. We'd always find them in the pen cup or somewhere else inside a random drawer. Why were they being moved? I spent an hour trying to find a key in my room that had been lost in the this manner.

Our final few days saw the hotel invaded by several groups of noisy children on sports teams who would run up and down the hallways, screaming, yelling and banging doors. Some of them thought it was funny to knock/smash on random doors and run at 3am. Several calls by myself and other members of my group to the hotel staff yielded no results. The hotel was so overcrowded there was no hot water for a morning shower on the final day of my stay. I refuse to stay again at any hotel that has this problem.

For the grand finale, upon checkout I came to learn that the hotel had lost my payment information somehow. I was informed by another front-desk employee that it must have been lost 'in the transition'. What transition? Also, I don't like be addressed in a childish, sing-songy voice- especially at 5am. At least I got a few breakfasts for free, "the transition" must have eaten the restaurant charges as well.

To the management of this property- spare me your form-letter apology and do a better job. This is a nice property overall and looks recently renovated, but the people working here made my stay painful.

I won't be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear TourSoundGuy, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback and review of our property. I apologize that your needs had not been met during your stay. The Little Things Do indeed make a Difference.. Again thank for your input.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We booked the Club level to enjoy the long weekend, only to learn that the Club lounge is closed on weekends. We requested a room with a nice view, and got the parking lot (on an empty night, so I suppose this is their nice view. I should've asked for the ugly view and would have maybe received the river view). I have never stayed at a hotel where Club lounge access is limited to Mo-Fr. Upon calling the front desk and politely asking if there were any privileges attached to Club level at all, the lady laughed and uttered a "no, not really, except for the higher floor and restricted access." Well, the floor is indeed higher, but access is open to whomever wants to stroll the level. Essentially, Crowne Plaza was happy to take the Club rate, but not offer the actual services. Aside from that, the hotel is old and tired--it's in bad shape. The elevators are beaten up and in a terrible condition (for this type of hotel). The rooms are depressing and filthy. The coffee maker on top of the microwave next to the TV. There are not enough sockets in the wall, so you pick what you want to use: the TV, the fridge, the micro, or the lamp. You'll have to do acrobatics between the furniture to plug and unplug, which means you'll stick your hand in areas that haven't been cleaned since the furniture was installed. I skipped the Yelp reviews for this one, what a mistake, as they turn out to be much more accurate than what you find here on Tripadvisor, which I usually find quite reliable. This is not a superior establishment; I've stayed at 3-stars that offer more in every aspect. I strongly recommend to avoid this place, unless you want the front desk to laugh at you when you ask for the services you paid for.

Room Tip: Forget paying for the Club level on weekends as you don't get any of the services. The higher fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jordermac
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Jordermac, thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I apologize that we had not been able to meet your room request. We tried to seperate groups due to the heavy City Wide event over the weekend. Our complimentary Full Breakfast buffet and Great Room afternoon food offerring is for our IHG Club. I apologize that this was not communicated so that you could enjoy this added feature that only applies on weekends. I will try to contact you in an attempt to resolve.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My room (#622) was very clean, attractive and well stocked. It had a large LG Flat Screen Television, Refrigerator, Microwave, and Coffeemaker. The beds were made up very elaborately with an abundance of fluffy pillows. Sheets above and below the blanket were a very nice touch. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and well stocked. In my 50+ years of traveling, I don’t recall ever seeing so many towels and wash cloths folded into flowers at any hotel before.

From my check-in with Althea to my check-out with Janet, I experienced outstanding hospitality and service at the Richmond Crowne Plaza. Without fail, every staff member was thoughtful, courteous, and warm. Their hospitality was genuine and unscripted. The employees at this hotel really do love their guests. They do everything they can to make you comfortable.

The Crowne Plaza’s Breakfast Buffet on 10 January was very good except for the pancakes and waffles. Normally waffles and pancakes are golden, right? I’ve never seen any raw batter with the color and consistency of re-fried beans. The pancakes and waffles made with this off-color batter were awful! Everything else on the Crowne Plaza Breakfast Buffet however was delicious and compared very well to the nearby Jefferson Hotel Breakfast Buffet I had on 12 January that cost nearly twice as much.

The unique architecture of the Richmond Crowne Plaza reminds me of hotels designed by the legendary architect Morris Lapidus who designed the FontaineBleau and Eden Roc. The Crowne Plaza’s unconventional shape and design remind me of Lapidus’ Modern Architectural Landmark “Loews Summit Hotel” in New York City (now a Doubletree). The Richmond Crowne Plaza has no traditional Grand Lobby Entrance with steps…the automobile entry/ground level Lobby floor-plan is especially convenient to handicapped guests and works well for everyone else too. This expansive covered ground level entry keeps you protected from the weather when you arrive and depart.

The location of the Richmond Crowne Plaza is brilliant, too. It is a short walk to the State Capital, Carpenter Center, VCU,Medical Center, and very close to most anything else in downtown Richmond. Its Canal Street location keeps you out of heavy downtown traffic. The exit to the highways and interstate is located right next to the hotel! So convenient!

I enjoy walking, so the short uphill walk to the Capitol was fine with me. I understand the hotel offers a free local shuttle in case you prefer not to walk up the hilly streets surrounding the hotel.

Overall I enjoyed my 3 night stay because of the hotel staff. The 5 Star rating I posted goes for them.

From the plethora of SANDHU signs posted in the public areas, I must assume SANDHU owns the Richmond Crowne Plaza. I would rate SANDHU only 1 Star. Look closely and you see SANDHU cut a lot of corners in their recent remodel. While the 1980’s brass trim peeking out from behind the corners of the new stainless elevator interiors is just cosmetic, it is a good indicator of the owner’s attention to detail and commitment to a quality guest experience.

I believe SANDHU is directly responsible for all the issues I experienced during my stay (9 Jan-12 Jan). The HVAC in my room (#622) did not work properly. While I set the thermostat to Heat-72 degrees, the temperature of the air coming out of the duct was just 66 degrees according to my thermometer. The room temperature never went above 66 degrees during my 3 night stay. I ended up using a space heater at night to stay warm. The test button on the Ground Fault Interrupter in my bathroom did not work. The “trailer park quality” toilet did not flush properly. I'm certain SANDHU paid more for the wall-mounted hairdryer than this cheap toilet! The pool was frigid…even after swimming 20 laps I was shivering! The Jacuzzi Spa didn’t work and the water was way too hot. Honestly, steam was coming out of it like a tea kettle! I tried to call for assistance. The guest phone in the pool area didn’t work either; a real safety concern in my opinion.

Mr. Sandhu, perhaps if you had properly working toilets and turned up the heat a little, your Crowne Plaza would be SOLD OUT during special events like the Inauguration, rather than having to give away your great rooms cheap on Priceline.

Lucky for me though, I booked through Priceline.

Overall, despite the Penny Wise-Pound Foolish ownership, I have to say I enjoyed my 3 night stay at the Richmond Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Both sides of hotel have good views. You have a choice of River View or City View.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you Marcus for taking the time to provide your review. I apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We have adjusted the hot tub and have taken care of sensor issue with the thermostat in your room. Your comments in reference to our staff are much appreciated. Again thank you for your input.
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We pulled in late on New Year's eve (around 5pm or so) and, luckily, obtained two rooms next to one another on the 5th floor. Althea checked us in and did a super job on the spur of the moment in the rush of New Year's eve. She never lost her cool and was answering phones at the same time as fielding questions, checking us in and recommending a restaurant for us with a small child. Crowne Plaza is lucky to have her as an employee. The rooms were smallish, but clean with a large bathroom with snowy white towels. The entire town of Richmond MUST have booked the 5th floor for their personal New Year's eve party. Seriously, people were running, and I mean running, up and down the halls, shouting, cursing, laughing and crashing into doors/walls. Finally, at approx. 1:30, I called the front desk and they sent someone up to usher them out or shut them up. Whatever they did worked and I'm thankful to them. I am all for a party, but this was out of control and people named Drake and Morgan seemed to be the leaders of the gang. I attempted to drown them out by turning the ventilating fan on, but even that didn't help. We ate the breakfast buffet and it was very good and Shannon, our wait staff person, was lovely. Kind of made up for the lack of sleep the night before!

Room Tip: 5th floor was fine, but not on New Year's eve unless you're part of the party!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Cynthiak, thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback concerning your stay New Years Eve. I apologize you had to hear the noise provided by our 5th floor guest. We tried our best to seperate our guest so that all could enjoy the evening. Our added security worked hard along with myself trying to accomplish our goal to provide you with fun yet quiet nights stay you deserve.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I must say that the customer service was superb! Althea, was her name, she helped me with my check in process after the 1-800 number had the wrong dates for my check-in. She made sure that I still had a room before the hotel sold out. This place was wonderful and I plan on staying only at this hotel from now on every time I visit Richmond! Thank you Althea for making my visit worthwhile!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hello Erin B, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Althea is a great example of our Southern Hospitality that we offer daily! We are looking forward to your return.