“The extra mile”

GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia
“The extra mile”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have stayed here and at sister hotels multiple times over the years, but I keep coming back here. I have never had any difficulty that by any means was the hotel or staffs fault, they are always friendly and most remember me when I walk in the door. On this occasion, I did have a minor difficulty, the room reserved for me had developed an A/C issue. The hotel was swamped by the convention and multiple bus loads of people filing in at one time. It appeared they had additional staff come running to assist, while the normal desk ladies were handling one family after another. I felt bad pointing out the issue, but Janet S. at the desk was more than helpful, changed my room immediately (even nicer than normal) offered to have my baggage moved and asked me to call if there was any further difficulty. I forgot to, so they called me to ensure all was ok. I have always liked this hotel, but this time they went the extra mile, when it didn't seem they would have the time and seemed legitimately happy to do so... Outstanding, and thank you!

Room Tip: For some of those reviews with bad experiences, call ahead and ask if you are arriving in the middle...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hello Mark M.. thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I apologize that you needed to have your AC adjusted however thankful that you communicated this need so that we could react quickly and take care of this need. We feel it very important that our hotel and our employees "Go the Extra Mile" for our guest. I will share your experience with our team (Janet) and hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
Victoria
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Janet at the front desk was a lifesaver. My booking was screwed up (wrong date) and even though she was overloaded juggling calls, she got me a room when they were quite full. The room was spacious and clean. The only downsides were a mediocre breakfast and the gym equipment isn't the newest but I will be staying here my next time in Richmond.

Room Tip: Hopefully you get a room facing downtown / james river.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Victoria, thank you for sharing your recent experience with our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your input so that we may better our breakfast and fitness offerring in the future. We hope you return soon..
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for one night in march 14 friendly service hotel parking, nice hotel with clean rooms and all round good service, lovely food and 12 oclock check out, room had tv microwave coffee maker etc ...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello Catrina, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to your return soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was able to book a decent hotel room, short of notice, for a very affordable rate and found the overall experience to be an enjoyable stay. Friendly concierges assisted in early check-in and my room had a nice view of Belle Isle and the James River. Felt conveniently situated nearby to everything. Richmond is a great city, steeped in rich history and full of character!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Lindsay M, thank you for traveling to Richmond and enjoying our Comfortable Convenience. Our city is rich in History and Tradition as you have noted. Please return soon.
Chatlottesb ille
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I came here for my Birthday on March 29th to only stay one night and my experience was terrible. Upon arrival, which was 6:45pm, there was a hoard of people waiting in the lobby and the staff was running around panicking. What was going on was that rooms were not ready for people. Granted check-in time is 3. The front desk staff were yelling at one another, and the communication between them and housekeeping seemed more like finger pointing on why rooms were not ready. When I finally got to the desk, which was at 7:30pm, I was told what many were told ahead of me "We don't have any rooms cleaned and ready". So I waited like five additional minutes and was told that a Queen was available. I had booked a King, but I was so fed up with waiting I took the room. At this point who knows if my room was fully cleaned properly due to the rushing housekeeping was doing to try to get rooms available. They comped me valet. On the day of my departure, I called the front desk 10 minutes in advance to get my car. Went down to no car. Valet guy then asked if a different vehicle was mine. After 5 min. I asked for my own keys and got my own car.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jturner31
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear JTurner, thank you for your valuable input. I sincerely apologize that you had to wait for a room upon your arrival to the hotel. It is our goal to have your room type that ready once you arrive. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Richmond.
Boston, MA
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and I guess the best way to describe this hotel is adequate. The hotel is in Downtown Richmond, but oddly not near anything at all. If you're looking to get out of the hotel for dinner, drinks or need access to a store, be prepared to walk or take advantage of the hotel shuttle. The lobby area is clean and front desk staff was helpful but not necessarily outstanding. The rooms are adequate but as some have stated, noisy neighbors can be heard, rugs are dated and stained and the shower definitely needed a few squirts of Tilex.

I found it odd that you couldn't buy water in the small snack/sundries area. Also, when I asked the front desk where I could go to watch the game and have dinner, they sent me to a bar with no TV's so watching the game was a little difficult and meant I had to walk 9 blocks to an area with some semblance of a nightlife. The walk back to the hotel is not dangerous, but at night its nothing I would recommend to a single woman since the streets have little activity besides the rogue crazy homeless gentlemen.

All in all, the hotel is average and the location is sub par with unremarkable amenities. My recommendation is to stay at the Omni for a better area or the Westin for a better hotel experience. If it wasn't for the few hundred Priority Club points I earned, the experience would've been a complete disaster.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John G
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hello John G... thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We apologize that our Front Desk did not direct you towards our 24 hour Pantry next to the desk that offers a selection of bottled drinks including water,snacks and Starbucks coffee to go. We have fallen short of also directing you to our Great Room lounge that offers game viewing at the bar and a 55 inch HD LCD TV in the setting area. We will share your comments to make sure that we are better communicating what our hotel has to offer. Again our sincere thank you for your input.
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent guest for business travel. This hotel is excellent for a business traveler, friendly staff that remembers your needs. Hotel is older but continuous update have been done. The facilities are good for conferences and meetings, but like a lot of hotels the food service is where this one needs more priority. Menu is limited and seldom is updated. Quality of food is about a 4 out of 10.

Bar staff couldn't be better and are polite and provide great service. Front desk staff and service staff are wonderful, but housekeeping is on a good day average. Work needs done to improve housekeeping and their quality & supervision.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear rocket0455, thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We will pass your F&B feedback to our Department Director for upgrading the experience of our customers. We have just this week hired a new Executive Chef with the hope of providing a better experience. Again thank you for picking the Crowne Plaza Richmond.