“Excellent Customer Service by Patricia Bosher, Evening Supervisor”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Our family reunion was 7/18-20/2014 and I left some of my clothes at the hotel. I called that evening upon returning home and spoke w/Patricia Bosher and explained what happened. Patricia went to the room I stayed in, gathered my things, and had them shipped to me immediately. Speaking w/her on the telephone was a pleasant experience and she went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service to me. I received my items 2-3 after speaking with her and I appreciate her honesty and ability to serve a customer from long distance. You absolutely rock Patricia. I also called your supervisor Millie Washington to let her know how great you really are!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hello Jersey 1970, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your story and how it was handled by Patricia..I will share this input with all our staff including Patricia! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I chose the Crown Plaza in Richmond, VA because their rates were reasonable and their overnight parking was the most reasonable in town.

Their front desk staff for check-in was friendly and efficient and similar service when I checked out the next morning.

My room was lovely, clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable my room overlooked the city and was quiet (I was on the 6th floor). The bathroom was well lit and lovely. I was delighted by the 'Sleep Tight' packet in the room with lotions and a fragrance for relaxation and rejuvenation.

The room also had a good sized refrigerator, a coffee / tea pot and a microwave and free Wi-Fi.

The one exception to all this great service was my breakfast experience the morning of check-out. I arrived at the dining room around 10:40 a.m. and was told the breakfast buffet was no longer available. There were a few people in the restaurant, but clearly the staff was closing up breakfast. After I was seated, I waited close to 10 minutes without being approached for service. I finally found one of the dining room staff and asked if I could see a menu and get some coffee. What was a bit irksome about that was I notice a few of the staff had seen me at the table where I was seated but no one bothered to approach to offer service.

Other than the not so great service at breakfast, my stay at the Crown Plaza was lovely. I would most definitely choose this property for an overnight my next visit to Richmond, Virginia.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kathy K
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Kathy, thank you for staying with our hotel and taking the time to provide your feedback. I apologize that our breakfast team did not provide the level of service that we believe you deserve. This input will be shared today and addressed with our F&B team. Again thank you for your feedback and please return soon and enjoy our Lovely Hotel.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at the hotel. All was great. We arrived real late due to a flight issue and DC traffic. The person who checked us in must have sensed that we were tired and weary and checked us in quick as could be. Gave us all the tips we needed to park the car.
There is not much In the area. We were expecting more. That said, the hotel directed us to a fantastic diner for a late breakfast and a great off property spot for dinner. Nevertheless, I would liked to have been closer to Carey Town. I am not sure if there are closers hotels.
The CP lounge is outstanding. The bar tender clearly enjoys his job and strives to make all feel comfortable and have fun. I really believe that this is one of the greatest assets of this hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Preston, our hotel thanks you for taking the time and effort to provide your valuable feedback. We strive for the Great Stay! experience for all of our customers. Please return soon...

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was with a large group because we were in town filming a television show. When you are on the road as much as we are, there is nothing better than coming to a place where the customer service is this welcoming. From the valet parking to the ladies at the front desk, and Susie our sales rep, the service was excellent. If you need extra room, be sure to book one of the suites. The priority suite was extremely roomy and had a sectional so I was able to not only stay there, but have small meetings in the room as well. There is also a mini fridge, sink and microwave. The beds were so comfortable as well.

Thanks to the staff for being so kind.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello Annie, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your comments concerning our hotel and staff and will share with the team today. We hope you return soon to Richmond and of course our hotel..

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, seriously now. We stayed at this hotel as a result of a tournament that requires teams stay in "tournament approved" locations....in other words kickback to organizers. The location for us being 15 miles from the field wasn't the best but we had to stay. There really isn't anything downtown for us though there is quite a lovely view of the James river out the window. In general the downtown doesn't seem terribly vacation friendly. If you come with family to see the area or are in town for college visits I recommend you stay more in the Short Pump area as there are more restaurants there to choose from. Now on to the review of the actual hotel.

The Good-- The hotel staff are all extremely friendly. Quite possibly the nicest group of people at any hotel we have stayed at as not one single person was even remotely grumpy. The bar staff in particular were very good. Overall the food was pretty decent as well though I must say the hotel breakfast buffet was marginal at best. The fruit was not particularly appetizing but the omelette station was managed well. The breakfast shift seems a bit chaotic but, again, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. The staff alone gets the review of this hotel an extra star.

The Bad-- The hotel rooms are a bit musty and damp feeling. That might be just a function of the Richmond climate. The beds are not so comfortable. I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow to help my sore little back. I travel with my own pillow but my spouse, and all other parents on the team, report that the pillows are really thick creating a steeper than normal incline for a restful night. Our room had plumbing issues (see ugly portion below) and most parents reported the same with toilets clogging easily and tubs and sinks draining very slowly. You will need many towels to soak up the water and don't even think of saving Mother Earth by using your towel more than once because it simply won't dry out due to the humidity. Just throw the towel on the floor to dry the tile.

The Ugly-- Day two we return to our room to find the door cracked open. We always check the door when we leave and knew it wasn't our mistake. We walked into our made up room (minus fresh towels....I think they might have towel shortage due to water leakage) so we knew housekeeping left the door open. We suspect it might have been intentional as the doors are supposed to auto shut. We put the do not disturb sign on the door to take a nap. Thirty minutes later we were awoken by housekeeping knocking on the door to bring towels. I guess the do not disturb sign doesn't mean anything really. At the field the next morning we were telling parents about our door experience and another mom said she and her daughter were resting and a maintenance man just walked in without knocking. They didn't have the do not disturb sign so I guess that means come on in. He told them he made a mistake and had gone into the wrong room. These two events made us a bit nervous about security as the area the hotel is around isn't the best. We would load up all electronics and cords each time we left the room at all.
The afternoon of what would be our last night at the hotel we came back to our room to find our carpet a bit wet near the tile. Our child showered and we all took a rest. An hour later we got up and the carpet was soaked about a foot in and the tub had at least 6 inches of water in it. We called down to ask for another room on a quiet floor. We were told they could move us to a room on the third floor. I told them we would look for other options. When we couldn't find another room in Richmond for the night I went downstairs and spoke to the Assistant Front Desk Manager and told them I know the first floor of a hotels rooms are usually those considered quiet. She was able to get us on the 13th floor with a comped room for our trouble. This is the designated quiet floor. This room was mostly fine but still had some plumbing issues with what appears to be a leaking sink. I did go down just check out the third floor out of curiosity and it has an opening to the lobby and has the laundry right in the middle of the guest room area....I would not think this would be a quiet area.

Overall, I think the people here are trying really hard to do a good job but they can only do so much. This hotel NEEDS to invest some money in maintenance issues. The plumbing is a disaster. Additionally, there is an elevator in the main part of the hotel we won't ride on as it is awfully noisy. In the bank of two it is the one on the right as you look at them. Rider beware. Would we stay here again? No...not unless forced to and even so if we had to we would probably just use points and pay here and actually stay somewhere else. Nice people but this place needs some love.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank tnantx
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear tnantx, we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. It is our goal that all of our guest have a positive experience. We apologize that your stay was not what you deserve and certainly does not meet managements expectations of what we want to offer to our guest. Our team today will react to these needs and correct. We will also like to follow up with you to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family stayed here during the weekend of the Marathon, November 2013. The location proved to be ideal. It was an easy walk to the start line and steps from the finish line.
The rooms were nice, very large and recently updated. The staff was awesome, warm, incredibly patient and extremely helpful with all of our questions. They really proved themselves in the hours after the race, when the lobby was flooded with exhausted runners making all sorts of requests. Check in was easy. The parking garage was handy. The breakfast buffet was great, but I would suggest going somewhere else if you want a decent dinner. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello personofleisure, we appreciate you choosing our hotel and staying during the Richmond Marathon weekend. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope to see your return this year and perhaps before the 2014 Marathon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

First... Checking in was so nice. We were early to arrive and they were more than accommodating. Both ladies at the front were just so funny and friendly. The room itself was big, clean, new and had a wonderful view. I had to check out literally 2 hours into our stay due to a family emergency and was not charged! I'm so grateful for the kindness and common sense of this place, who was happy to assist me in getting out of there quickly. I wish I could do more for them than simply writing a review. I love this place. Thank you all kindly.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank slidermuzz

Dear slidermuzz, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are sorry that you had to leave and could not enjoy our hotel longer. We certainly hope all is well and would like to invite you back soon. Again thank you for your input.