“Not friendly service”

Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I always stay at a Marriott when I travel for business. This Courtyard location was convenient for me for where I had to go for work.

I arrived and the front-desk staff did not acknowledge that I am a Marriott Rewards member and gave me a room on a lower level right next to the elevator. I had to double check and ask the next morning if I had my rewards number saved to my booking because I always ask for a high-level room away from the elevator and ice machines.

The room is your standard Courtyard room which served me well.

The second night I stayed at this hotel I went to the Market Cafe to order a drink. The lady helped everyone else but me and when she got to me, she said "I'll be right with you" and went on to wash dishes. I waited for 10 minutes then gave up and retreated back to my room.

I will not be staying at this Courtyard location when back in Richmond even though it is the most convenient for me to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsFalcon926
Ernie L, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

I am truly sorry for the issues that you experienced during your recent stay at our hotel.
Our Marriott Reward Members expect and should receive our best service and have all of their expectations met when they choose our hotels. I want you to know that we have discussed the issue of service in our Bistro with the entire staff, and I believe we have equiped them with a better way to handle our guests when they are busy in that area. I know our location is convenient for you and your work so I am hoping that you can overlook these issues and pleasre give us another chance to provide you with the level of service you expect from Marriott.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Newly updated lobby. We were here for a small church conference and their staff was phenomenal. Their lobby Starbucks wasn't open but when I asked they found staff to make me a much needed latte. Staff was very accommodating. Five stars for that. No negatives we saw.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking time to let us know how you felt about your recent stay at our hotel.
It is always nice to hear that we have done a great job taking care of our guests. Please come see us again should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Clean rooms, good pool, wi-fi connection was easy. helpful staff.
Near several restaurants, walking distance from a great rib place.
Easy to find, near highway, near gas stations.

My only issue as that there was no complementary breakfast.
$7 for coffee and a bagel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

After a below average stay in Southwest Richmond on the last visit, we decided to stay near Short Pump this time around. This Courtyard is remodeled, with the Bistro and GoBoard in the lobby. Check in was professional and fast, and the room was very nice. It was a standard Courtyard room, but it was clean and the beds were comfy--what else could you want?

The location is very good as it's only a 20 minute drive from downtown Richmond and 5 from Short Pump shopping. There's no reason I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel was in a great location, very quiet and minutes away from Kings Dominion. There are varies restaurants in driving distance and right off the highway. Planning to stay here again on my next Kings Dominion trip

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Courtyard Marriott is in a great location, minutes from I-64, the Short Pump Mall, restaurants and Broad Street that takes you straight into Richmond while avoiding the interstate traffic. Quiet area and no noise from AC/Heat unit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We recently stayed at this Marriott Courtyard, based on prior Trip Advisor reviews. The hotel was just 'fair" as far as we were concerned. No breakfast included in the rate, however, they did provide free internet. We were watching TV and a storm knocked several channels off the air for quite a while. The bathroom had no shampoo and we had to call housekeeping for that. I did not find the lady at the front desk very pleasant or helpful. We couldn't find the hotel on our GPS -- we called the hotel on that and were told to use "Henrico, VA" as the city to locate them. Both of us had backaches the next two days (we stayed two nights), so I am inclined to blame their mattresses on that: not as firm as needed. The room itself was fair. No fridge or microwave, but had a one cup coffee maker. The facility is convenient to Short Pump Mall (great shopping), which was nice. As a previous reviewer noted, good shower pressure and good supply of hot water. The room was clean, airy and I liked the comfortable easy chair in the room. The pool is tiny and was crowded with kids and noisy on our stay.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank robert p
ernie3950, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
While we hope that every guest has an excellent experience, sometimes we miss the mark. I would like to apologize for there not being shampoo in your room when you arrived. I would also like to let you know that most of the rooms in the hotel have refrigerators, and by the end of this year they will all have them. Also, should you return to the area, we do offer rates to guests that do include breakfast that are a great value.