“Nice stay”

Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had a nice stay, loved the courtyard, fenced in space for the kids to run while the parents relaxed on the patio, kids enjoyed the indoor pool, rooms were nice and big and we had a very comfortable stay, close and convenient to everything the the short pump area

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Buffalo Junction, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel was EXCELLENT The staff at this hotel could not have been better. Everyone who worked there spoke to you. They were kind and also very helpful. From the time you stepped in the door, it had a very clean and pleasant smell,, everything part of the hotel was spotless. The the bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. The hallways were quiet at night for a peaceful night's sleep. They had the best room darkening curtains. It allowed us to have a long night's sleep as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
jmargaux
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I have to admit I that I am a fan of Marriott Courtyard hotels. I like the modern lobbies, the cafés and find the beds comfortable resulting in a great night's sleep. We ended up here after our first hotel that I had booked at just didn't work out. Jennifer at the front desk was so helpful and I am so glad that we stayed here. The location is on a fairly busy road lined with strip malls and fast food restaurants, but it is just a few miles drive to Carytown and the University of Richmond. We were in a room with a single king size bed and a pull out sofa. It was plenty of room for two people on a 2 night stay. Longer than that, it might get a bit tight.

• Stayed April 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stay at Marriotts all of the time and they are all good. This one however, is EXCELLENT!! I honestly can't say enough about this hotel.

Part of the hotel experience is amenities. What sets this Marriott apart from all of the others we have stayed at is the personnel. OMG, they are awesome!!

Jerome made us feel so welcome. He is such a nice guy. Very friendly. Was always happy to see us. He really goes above and beyond. They even have free beer and wine there. Yummers!!

Seth is the general manager there and I just left a voice mail for him telling him what a great bunch of people he has.

They are all SO polite. It's just truly unbelievable.
We live in Roanoke and go up to Richmond way too often. We have probably stayed in all of the hotels there. But this one truly stands out because of the five star treatment we were given. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a typical Courtyard, with trendy and comfortable features in and around the lobby - and is typical of Courtyards in that you can expect a lousy night's sleep unless you are a heavy sleeper. LIke every Courtyard in which I've stayed, it has those individual air conditioning wall units - you know the type: too loud and the seem to abruptly and noisily cycle on and off every five minutes, So I turned it off, but that created two more problems: the mini-fridge had a high-pitched whine with a gurgling sound ... and the room became too hot because, for some reason, this place likes to keep the fourth-floor corridor at 80 degrees - no exaggeration - and the heat inevitably seeps in.

We had a king room, but the television is off to the side, meaning the only way to watch TV in bed is to lie on your right side. Who thought this was good room design?

On the plus side, the bathroom has an exhaust fan - too few hotel rooms have this feature. The desk offers an actual, fully adjustable office chair - most hotels use a plush chair that is the wrong height for the desk.

I figured a nighttime beer would help me relax at night ... but when the front desk clerk wanted $6.05 for a single Heineken that I pulled from the cooler from the convenience kiosk, I nearly choked and put it back.

And, of course, Courtyard does not provide free breakfast; we went to the Panera Bread next door instead of purchasing an overpriced, mediocre (based on experience) breakfast in the "bistro."

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Residence Inn next door instead.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ernie L, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at out hotel. I truly apologize for the noise you experienced with your heating unit and then refrigerator. I would welcome a call 804-346-5427 to identify the room so that we can look into repairs. I have had our engineer check the hallway heat unit and it is functioning properly at it's preset temp. of 70 degrees. I thank you for the positive comments regarding the bathroom fan and the desk chair. I wish that you would have tried our Bistro for breakfast, many of our guets have had very positive comments about the food and service.
Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ernie
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Our room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great. The staff is VERY nice and friendly.

The hotel offers 2 levels of WiFi. The "regular" speed is free. Okay for browsing, but not fast enough for video streaming. The "enhanced" faster WiFi costs $4.95 per day. I chose the free WiFi on our first day. When I decided to switch to the for-pay faster service, it's very difficult to change services. Regina at the front desk was very helpful. When she couldn't solve the problem herself, she gave me a tech support phone number that was able to get me switched over within minutes.

Fitness center is adequate--1 recumbent bike, 1 stairstepper, 2 treadmills, and free weights. Cozy lobby with a fireplace. Free Wall Street Journal and USA Today.

Overall, I would stay here again.

Note: this hotel does NOT offer a free breakfast. Don't believe the "free breakfast" muffin icon in the Trip Advisor amenities listing. Also, the Bistro only serves until 10 a.m., and then doesn't resume until dinnertime. The Starbucks coffee isn't free either.

However, there's a Panera in the next strip mall, and a number of places to eat within a mile, including a great deli called Boychik's.

Mike Brown
Flourtown,PA

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mdbrownmd
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I am a travel agent and while looking at colleges with my daughter we stayed here. The location is great for getting the Richmond U, the Short Hills Mall and to Richmond. Our roos was clean and the staff was great. The breakfast is your typical courtyard breakfast bistro.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank luv2travel068
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Residence Inn Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Short Pump/I-64
SpringHill Suites Richmond Northwest
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
#6 of 23 in Glen Allen
Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook

Been to Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump? Share your experiences!