“Great value and location”
Review of The Commonwealth

The Commonwealth
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here for one night in October. While the lobby was slightly outdated, and yes the elevator is humoursly small, the room was a good size, the staff was nice, the bathroom was huge and it's a few blocks away from the bumping bar scene and higher class restaurants For the price, it was a great stay. If you are looking for swanky, stay at the Omni up the road (and pay $75-100 more a night!), but if you want to be close to the hubbub for cheaper, this is it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank NorthSideLvr
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Reviewed 16 November 2011

I loved this hotel. We went to Richmond to watch my sister run the Marathon. The location was great for us to watch the event. We were welcomed at the front desk by ?Henry who was very pleasant. The rest of the staff was also friendly and accommodating - especially the valet service they were quick and efficient - never had a problem. The room was great, beds were comfy and the pictures do not do justice to how BIG the rooms are!! After the marathon we went back to the hotel - 7 of us and sitting in the living room recapping the day and we could have fit more people easily! Felt like home

Thanks for a great stay...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Lizze
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . We value you as a guest, appreciate your patronage, and hope to see you again in the near future. I have conveyed your compliments to Henry, he joins me in thanking you for a kind review.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel in October of 2011 for 2 nights. I checked into my first room that overlooked a very nice park, but the noise from the street was really loud so I asked to move. I was able to move to an interior room that had a view of another building, but was much quieter. Both rooms I saw were very similar and appeared to be clean. It's a different hotel experience in that they spent money to put a bidet in each bathroom and a large flat screen TV in both the living room and the bedroom, but the necessary maintenance to keep the hotel modern and in good shape was lacking. Multiple doorknobs were loose and doors wouldn't shut completely. Lightbulbs blown in the bedroom lamps. Either way, no big deal, it seemed clean, just strange priority for where money is spent, in my opinion.

I did not think this was a bad place to stay until I pulled back the covers to go to sleep. On my pillow I noticed several dark, aprox 2 inch hairs and halfway down the bed was a crusty yellow stain. I was appalled. I called the front desk and the woman was very nice, she personally came upstairs and helped me changed the sheets on my bed and told me she would notify the manager. She also took pictures with her camera phone. Take it for what it's worth, but I think the housekeeping staff here is lacking... The first attempt by the hotel to make up for this event was a free breakfast coupon - not acceptable...I complained and my first nights stay was discounted 50%. I've stayed in many hotels for business and feel that this was not a typical response to a problem like this. At many other hotels I feel that the entire night, if not the entire stay would've been discounted more than that. I won't be staying here again.

4  Thank gabbyyyy

Dear Guest
I would like to apologize for your stay being anything other than great! It is our goal to make sure each and every guest is more than satisfied. Please rest assured that this is an isolated incident. Regarding the noise we did find that the window in your original room was opened from the top and our staff had inadvertently only looked at the bottom section of the window which was closed. This was an oversight on our part. The bed sheet issue is an isolated incident. We take great pride in our housekeeping and our maintenance as can be seen by the numerous reviews and our ranking on tripadvisor. Please contact me to let me know when you will be visiting the Richmond area again so that we can prove to you that our hotel and staff excels not only in customer service but also in good housekeeping and maintenance.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Commonwealth on business. I had previously stayed at one of your competitors and had both good and bad experiences. When I first walked in, the lobby and elevators looked small and I doubted my choice. However the warmth and friendliness of your staff and the extremely large rooms made for a wonderful stay. I also want to mention the breakfast which was absolutely authentic Southern cooking. Tasted like something my Grandmother would have made.

I'll be returning around Christmas for business but will be bringing my family and will plan to stay with you again.

2  Thank Marc H
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I always come in Richmond for business trips and stays in this hotel. Rooms are very large and clean. If you have kids, you should really consider this option because kids get large space for play.Plus, if you are interested in sightseeing, the Virginia State Capitol building is right across the street. Overall good option to consider..!!

1  Thank Mohit_Agarwal

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I chose this hotel on a recent business trip because of the reasonable price and was not disappointed. The suite was HUGE and well appointed, except for some general maintenance issues such as the A/C vents that almost fell off the wall. The staff was helpful and friendly for the most part (especially in the cafe) and the location is right across from the Capitol. Be aware that the area around the hotel is mostly deserted at night and some may want to take a taxi from dinner places or bars. Not that the area is unsafe, but people should watch their surroundings.

Room Tip: Try for a room away from Bank Street.