“Winnie The Pooh” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Danville, Virginia
“Winnie The Pooh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel room was very small and not at all the size that was pictured on the internet. The people that worked there were very friendly, knowledgeable and polite. The Restaurant's Chef (James P.) was an excellent cook and server;also very polite. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to walk in off the street and eat at that hotel restaurant. The food is awesome and Chef James P. was a delight.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Anshu Kapoor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family of four plus dog had a nice stay at the Commonwealth Suites. It provided a good stopping point for our journey from NJ to SC. We were upgraded to a suite which was very spacious and offered nice views of the capitol building. Sights within walking distance. The area felt a bit desolate when we first arrived around 3 pm on a Saturday; by evening some streets nearby were more lively. Staff was friendly and helpful, especially the gentleman attending the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Indiana, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I must tell you that the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel has it all, quality service, space, food, convenience, and quiet. We stayed here for two nights and were very impressed. You can't beat the city views and abundance of things to do. I found the hotel staff friendly and very helpful. Probably one of the best hotel stays we have ever experienced anywhere. We will definitely return to Richmond and stay at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel for one night while we were in town for a lacrosse tournament. Everything about this hotel was wonderful. The front desk staff was so friendly, hospitable and helpful. Our suite was huge, clean and tastefully decorated. We have to travel very often with my daughter's lacrosse team and this was the most comfortable bed we have slept in, in years. The hotel is in the heart of downtown Richmond and directly across the street from the beautiful, historic, Capitol building.
The breakfast at Maxine's was wonderful. James served as the host, server, chef and busboy and performed each job wonderfully. I don't know where he gets all of that energy first thing in the morning but he was awesome. When I think of Richmond, I will remember James. He was such a character....hilarious, hospitable and made one of the best omelettes I have ever had. One of the most charming aspects of the hotel, were the tiny, original elevators. They don't hold very much and you might have to make a few trips but they immediately transport you back in time. I was glad that my teenaged children could experience everything this historic hotel had to offer. They loved it too!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Evington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel while in Richmond for business. I was very happy with the spacious and clean room, and the bed was very comfortable. This is an older hotel, so it is not "like new", but I could not have been more comfortable. The little café in the hotel, Maxine's, was great for quick meals, and the sandwiches I had were freshly prepared and excellent! I would definitely stay here again. Thanks James P. in Maxine's for the great service (and also great service from another employee in Maxine's too)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the 4rth Richmond Jazz Festival 2013. The hotel have a certain old world charm mixed with the present day amenities. The staff are very polite, helpful and accomodating up to the day that we left. The suite we have was very large and facing the capital grounds and very clean. There are very good restaurants nearby. I really appreciate the attention that was given to us by Mr. James P in the restaurant during breakfast, he was very friendly and accomodating and kept up a very upbeat outlook in life. He is just so nice. The valet person was also very friendly and courteous. I would definitely go back to this hotel whenever I will be back in Richmond, Va.
Thank you for making us feel welcome!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Work took me to Richmond for a couple of days, where three of us found rooms at CPH. The location was great - everything including work was within walking distance - and the room itself was comfy despite the lack of a view and the desk lamp that had a burnt-out bulb.

Hotels rarely move me to reviews, so that's all I'll say about CPH. I do want to comment on the hotel's cafe/restaurant. Maxine's is a small venue, located adjacent to the front desk, that seats 42. My coworkers and I enjoyed breakfast there each morning, and James P., the chief waiter/maitre d' was astoundingly friendly and fastidious with his attention to detail and service. He never let our coffee cups get empty, made sure we had plenty of cream/condiments, brought us juice and asked us if we wanted refills, and kept our table clean and cleared away our dishes promptly. His smiling face and eagerness to please was a great way to start the morning, and is the deciding factor that raises Maxine's from average to enjoyable!

I will not hesitate to book the CPH the next time I visit Richmond, and I will be sure to stop in for breakfast to have my morning brightened by James P.

Room Tip: This is an older building, just across the street from the Capitol building. As such, it shows its...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business