“Would never go back”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh
“Would never go back”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We were in an emergency situation after my dad had surgery at the VA hospital because the other lodging we had didn't work out. A Hilton rep tried to help us because the Doubletree was sold out. The hotel is super old, and not charming-old. Gave my elderly mom the bed and I took the pull out sofa. No sheets, no pillows...nothing...but THE STAINS on this mattress. I used three fitted sheets and slept as far away from the stains as I could. Well, what sleep I got! Noise! The windows/seals were so thin. Only soda in the vending machine, no water. The elevators are so tiny. It was awful. Paying $115 for that room, for minutes worth of sleep and a shower was not a value at all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope your dad is feeling better.
I apologize for the inconvenience. We normally do not keep extra sheets and blankets in the rooms they are provided upon request only and if the sleeper sofa is required to be used we do put mattress pads on them. All our beds have mattress pads.Our housekeepers would have been glad to make the sleeper bed.
We do provide complimentary bottled water in the rooms hence the vending machines do not have bottled water.

Anshu Kapoor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My friends and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend. I am a pretty low maintenance girl so the things I saw in the reviews about service didn't seem too pressing so I booked the room.The hotel fills up pretty fast which is always a good sign so book in advance. I had to upgrade to the executive king suite when I found out I would need to stay another night. The staff, although not exactly the friendliest on the phone, extended my stay with no trouble. Parking is pretty terrible so you can spring for valet which is $15/night or find free weekend parking on the street. The hotel itself looked nice. I didn't find the lobby to be old or dingy. I didn't recieve help right away with my bags but I didn't have a problem with that because I'm quite capable of grabbing a cart and bringing my things up. However, eventually I was asked if I needed assistance. The room was way more than I expected. It was quite spacious and well decorated. The pillowtop mattress was lovely to sleep on and the room was pretty clean despite the reviews. The only real complaints I would have is running out of towels, parking, poorly lit rooms at night and the room not being cleaned (changing the trash and removing old towels). The staff were very friendly and even gave me a phone charger that was laying around when I discovered I had left mine. Derick, along with the late night team were amazing when called and so very helpful. The location is great and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Yolanda P
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with Derrick and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Bantam, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

despite much research, this hotel was disappointing. yes, we came in late (midnight), but if you look at these other reviews, one would expect a bit of help with bags. room was small, dark, minimal...lobby a bit dingy...I'm willing to take responsibility for getting a late arrival room, but the poor service seemed unnecessary.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia R
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am extremely sorry to hear about your inconvenience, I can assure you that this is not the norm. We are very strict on service and cleanliness issues and in this case we clearly dropped the ball.
Again, I am very sorry.

Warminster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by how spacious the accommodations were. Two large rooms, clean, comfortably furnished, quiet, and right across from the Capitol building and the grounds. All the staff, without exception (especially Henry at the Front Desk), were amazingly helpful, warm, kind, courteous and informative.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raymond s
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Wonderful large suites! Very clean, beautiful rooms. Staff is so friendly and provided great service. Fantastic location. Rooms are well-equipped. No negatives at all!!! Can't wait to stay there again! We visited VCU and were in-and-out many times, with late checkout, and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Buffalo
Reviewed 13 February 2014

we were traveling to Myrtle Beach and stopped in Richmond, Va for 2 nights. The hotel front desk was very accommodating. We had dinner at Maxine's Bar & Grill inside the hotel. We meet Andrew the cook [very nice man]. The next morning we had breakfast at Maxine's and meet James P [the server]. These two men work hard to make your dining a pleasure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Right in the heart of Richmond and close to the Virginia Legislature. Excellent spacious accommodations with a full living room, microwave, refrigerator. Both the bedroom and living room have TV's. There is a fitness center, small but has sever Enjoyed breakfast in the dining room - look for James P. a terrific server.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business