“What about sending a plummer to 1106?”
Review of The Commonwealth

The Commonwealth
Ranked #29 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I do Not know why we got the suite for wheelchair guests, but I feel sorry for them. No view, dark and the worst shower I have seen worldwide. In India you got a bucket and a ladle, that was superior to this one.
I would recommend that your director should spend 2 or 3 nights with his wife or girl friend there!
By the way you had to wait for about 3 minutes before there was hot water.
The staff was very nice, they should work at another place, pity for them.
I was stupid, chose this hotel because it was in the center of town. Never again!

Room Tip: Find an other Hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I apologize for your inconvenience. A quick call with a little more specific details about the shower would be greatly appreciated. I can assure you that I have personally checked room 1106 and this room has a brand new shower valve.
I apologize for the inconvenience once again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful, big rooms. Excellent service but small on the amenities outside the room. But it excels in location, location, location. Stayed there where husband argued in federal court. Right next door to courthouse. Lovely view of Capitol.

Room Tip: no real restaurant. Just a self service area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park for five nights. The hotel is not new but is generally well kept. There were a few signs of age, such as missing paneling in the elevator, some stains on the bathroom floor and a very slow-draining bathtub, but nothing that detracted significantly from our stay. The Hotel is directly across the street from the State Capitol and just a couple of blocks from the Library of Virginia.

Out room was very spacious, with separate sitting room and bedroom. There was a coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and separate air-conditioner in the sitting room. Besides a large couch there were two large stuffed chairs plus a small table with two chairs.

The bedroom was large enough to comfortably contain the king-sized bed in addition to two sets of drawers plus a desk and chair. There was a TV in the bedroom as well as the sitting room. The bedroom air conditioner was not too noisy. The bed was on the soft side but provided a good night's sleep. The linens were clean.

The bathroom included a bidet, which we did not use. The bathtub/shower lacked a grab bar and, as noted above, drained very, very slowly. I would have preferred more ordinary towel racks rather than the towel heater, which was a bit small to hold all the towels. All the bathroom fixtures were clean, as were all the linens.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The valet parking (extra charge) worked efficiently.

Unfortunately, cars and buses traveling up 10 St produced a lot of noise. Fortunately this did not occur at night, but they started annoyingly early in the morning.

The Hotel does have its own restaurant; we did not eat there. For other restaurants one has to travel several blocks.

Overall, the size and comfort of the room, its location, the great help from the staff and the very reasonable cost allow me to rate the Commonwealth Park above average.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor or in the back (give up the view of the Capitol) to avoid street noise.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend trip to Richmond, VA where we chose to stay at this hotel. There were a few pros, but mostly cons:

Pros: Great service; friendly people; very responsive and polite. Outstanding location! Large rooms.

Cons: Absolutely the WORST shower I've ever encountered in a hotel. First of all, the shower head was loose and appeared ready to fall off. I tightened it by hand. Then I turned on the water. I normally like a shower to be slightly hot, but not scalding and certainly not cold. This shower had two temps: scalding and cold; there was no consistently in-between. I would set the thermostat at where I thought would work. The water started off acceptable, but then it turned to scalding hot, and then freezing cold and then scalding hot again. Let's just say this went on for about 5 minutes and then I gave up. I called the front desk and asked them to send maintenance to fix the shower. My wife and I left and returned about an hour later. When I asked the front desk attendant about when I could expect my shower fixed, he appeared slightly confused about the situation. Anyhow, he said he would get right on that. Somehow or another, it came about that I would go to another room and shower. An employee brought me the key and I went down to the room. The room was nasty smelling and had dirty towels and washcloths all over the place; I couldn't do it. I returned to my room and called the front desk and enlightened him. I then proceeded to just deal with the dumb shower. The next day, the problem persisted and my wife complained about it as well. Unacceptable.

The toilet: you had to hold the handle down to make it flush, otherwise you'd have a "present" waiting for you upon your next visit. Unacceptable.

The bidet: The plumbing coming out of the wall leaked water everywhere. Unacceptable.

The towel warmer: useless. Didn't warm my towel on bit. Pointless.

Not nearly enough power outlets in the rooms.

The "refrigerator" (if you want to really call it that...tiny!!) barely got cool, let alone cold. Unacceptable.

The elevators are TINY and SLOW!! Unacceptable.

Room 406 had ZERO view...unless you count the giant air conditioner/boiler thing a "view"...lovely!

There was only one nightstand in the bedroom.

Ultimately, I was not satisfied with this hotel and I do NOT recommend it. Take your money and go somewhere else. This place is in desperate need of a maintenance overhaul. Not worth the money at all.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 406...or better yet: choose an altogether different hotel!
2  Thank sdnoethen

Dear Mr. Noethen

I am extremely sorry for your inconvenience. We did process a full refund for stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Came to Richmond for a wedding at Monument Church and the Main Street Station. This hotel was very convenient to both locations and easy to get to off of Interstate 95. The setting across from the Capital grounds is charming. The staff could not have been more accommodating. Easy parking in front for leaving the car and unloading. A whole row of handicapped parking available for the weekend on the opposite side of the street made it very easy and accessible for the more elder guests.

We had two rooms. A Suite on the 6th floor had two large rooms (one with a sofa bed, the other a king bed) and a bath in between. There were two doors to separate each room for privacy and access to the bathroom. Just make sure you don't lock yourself out from the bathroom when you shut the door at night. The regular room on the 4th floor was smaller, king bed, no view. But we didn't need a view for just overnight for the wedding. The elevators are small and slow - but it was just as convenient to use the stairs from the 4th floor to the lobby.

James kindly and attentively took care of us for breakfast in the morning. Nice hot and cold buffet and eggs made to order. Thank you James!

The hardest part of the trip -- traffic on I-95 -- Next time just take the train!

Room Tip: Lower floors may not have a great view, but easy to use the stairs and avoid the slow elevator traff...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Richmond was a bit of a stop-gap on our travels around the East Coast and we picked this hotel because it provided a quiet room with a nice view over the park.
We stayed for just a few nights in Richmond and booked a basic room but we were amazed when we learnt that there were few people in the hotel and we had been upgraded to a suite. Ok our suite had no view whatsoever and overlooked the external air vents but we had a giant bed, a great lounge area and space to eat. Fortunately for us, we weren't looking for stunning views on this occasion and at times the room was quite dark (as the windows overlooked walls) but this was only a small issue. Had we stayed here for longer we would have requested a room change to overlook the park.
And I have no doubt that the lovely staff would have been more than keen to oblige. The staff were brilliant and constantly asked if we were ok and had everything we needed. They also helped us with finding a place to buy a holdall bag (no request was too much for them!)
We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Richmond but if we had to nit-pick, we would possibly have to criticise the decor. The rooms could do with a bit of TLC and a lick of paint, just something to bring them into the 21st century. And again, some rooms do not have a particularly delightful view.
However, we would certainly recommend commonwealth park suites to anyone on a short stay in Richmond!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park if you're staying for longer than a night or two
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tarch333

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were in an emergency situation after my dad had surgery at the VA hospital because the other lodging we had didn't work out. A Hilton rep tried to help us because the Doubletree was sold out. The hotel is super old, and not charming-old. Gave my elderly mom the bed and I took the pull out sofa. No sheets, no pillows...nothing...but THE STAINS on this mattress. I used three fitted sheets and slept as far away from the stains as I could. Well, what sleep I got! Noise! The windows/seals were so thin. Only soda in the vending machine, no water. The elevators are so tiny. It was awful. Paying $115 for that room, for minutes worth of sleep and a shower was not a value at all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I hope your dad is feeling better.
I apologize for the inconvenience. We normally do not keep extra sheets and blankets in the rooms they are provided upon request only and if the sleeper sofa is required to be used we do put mattress pads on them. All our beds have mattress pads.Our housekeepers would have been glad to make the sleeper bed.
We do provide complimentary bottled water in the rooms hence the vending machines do not have bottled water.