“Personal trip to visit my son”
Review of The Commonwealth

The Commonwealth
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My stay at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel could NOT have been any better, thanks to the front desk clerk Derrick who is very much an asset to you establishment. He made my stay there so EASY and he was extremely friendly & yet very professional at the same time. The bellman who did the valet parking of my car was extremely professional & nice, as well but unfortunately I do not know his name but he was on when Derrick was working & during my stay of June 20th, checking out on the 21st. Derrick selected the suite I was in & his selection couldn't have been any nicer & was MOST willing to set up my breakfast but that was not needed, as I had with me what I wanted for breakfast but ever so nice of him to suggest that. Again, I can NOT say enough good things about Derrick. I also worked in a hotel for 7-8 yrs (The Sheraton of Palm Coast, FLA) after 30 yrs with Verizon Phone Co, so I know what a stressful job it is to manage the Front Desk with check-ins, check-outs, switchboard ringing and giving good customers service at the same time - he excelled in all of the above. Again, he is an asset to you hotel. Thank you & thank him for me please. Peggy Holster

Room Tip: To be honest, I do NOT know which side I was on but it was VERY quiet - I did NOT hear a thing other...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Peggy H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with Derrick and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Commonwealth

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I keep an extensive journal while traveling, and in my notes, I had remarked that our room was amazing, possibly the nicest place I have ever stayed, away from home. We had a big living room area with a wooden floor and a huge bathroom with a tiled floor, and then the king size bedroom with carpet. The bed was very clean and comfortable. I felt completely at ease running around barefoot, and for me, that says a lot! There were huge windows and a fairly good view of the beautiful Virginia Capitol building. When making the reservation, my husband had requested a room with a view of the Capitol building and we got it. We were on the top floor. My husband never likes valet parking, but this process went very smoothly. The location was great for us. We were able to walk around at night and walk the capitol grounds, just beautiful.

Dear Connie Y

Thank you for taking the time to post an impressive review and your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is our second time staying at Commonwealth Park Suites. Location is excellent - right across the street from the State Capital. It is a short walk to great dining, conference center and canal walk by the James River. The rooms are clean and spacious, bed is comfortable, and views are great. Every employee is gracious and friendly. We will see you next June. Thanks for the relaxing weekend!

Room Tip: Suites facing Bank Street have a great view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

First off, don't even think about the $12.99 breakfast buffet. I'm a big fan of breakfast, and had eagerly anticipated a delicious breakfast in the hotel's own restaurant. This turned out to be a HUGE disappointment.

The breakfast potatoes were cold, as was every single item on the "hot" menu. The French Toast was beyond pitiful. I took one bite and dropped it on the plate in disgust. I asked my husband about his waffle. He said, "It's awful. Just awful."

So then we moved on to the muffins. They were worse than the French Toast and waffles. We both had orange juice and I told the hubby, "I swear, I think we're drinking Tang." He replied, "It's doesn't taste much like orange juice."

An older gent waited on us and whipped up some scrambled eggs for me. They were delicious. But they weren't worth $12.99.

The room itself was spacious (a nice surprise), but cheaply remodeled. Most notably, the floors felt squishy when you walked across them. They were engineered wood floors, and I think it was just a crummy install job.

Plus, the threshold between the bedroom (carpet) and hall (wood floors) had nails sticking up. I made the mistake of stepping on that threshold and impaled my delicate feet on those nails. Very, very painful.

In the bathroom, there was a chunk of plaster coming off the wall, and the bathroom just looked dirty and unclean. The water in the bathroom sink was either scalding or cold. I was surprised at how hot the water got. It was far past 120 (which is typical temp I've found in other hotels).

On to the living room: When we pulled out the sofa bed, we found nothing but a bare mattress. We had to call down to the desk and ask for sheets and blankets. There were none in the room.

As to noise - there's a lot of it. The hotel is on a major bus line and it's at the foot of a hill, and there are always diesel buses going by, straining mightily to make it up that hill. The windows are drafty and it sounds like you're 10 feet away from the bus.

Loud doesn't begin to describe it.

One last word of warning: If you're not a fan of elevators and/or small spaces, you're in real trouble. The elevators are unlike anything I've ever seen. There's only room for two people on the elevators, and maybe they'll fit three people if you're all really, really friendly with each other.

I'm so very disappointed in this place. It's a beautiful old building, but something happened to it along the way.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I apologize for your inconvenience.

Our elevators are small, being a historic building and due to infrastructural constraints, there very little scope of improvement. Being a downtown property we do get our fair share of "sounds of the city".
I am sorry that the food was not to your taste. We normally get only excellent comments about the restaurant. I am not sure where we dropped the ball , I have checked with the chef and as per him he did not receive any comments on the the temperature of the potatoes or the pricing of the buffet, for $10.95 plus taxes we provide a full hot buffet with five hot items, a quick call with a room number and a date of your stay would help him jog his memory and also help me look into the tread issue. We have checked all the 9th street side rooms and have not found any treads missing.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The FRONT DESK Personnel were exceptional as well as the porters and Valet Service. The short coming was the Bed in our Suite. The Mattress sloped into the middle making it uncomfortable to sleep.. The Location of the Hotel is Great as it right across from the Capitol. The sixwe of the room was very nice as was the full size refrig...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and nice comments about our staff.
I apologize for mattress being sagging in the middle, a quick call with the room number would help us immensely.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I do Not know why we got the suite for wheelchair guests, but I feel sorry for them. No view, dark and the worst shower I have seen worldwide. In India you got a bucket and a ladle, that was superior to this one.
I would recommend that your director should spend 2 or 3 nights with his wife or girl friend there!
By the way you had to wait for about 3 minutes before there was hot water.
The staff was very nice, they should work at another place, pity for them.
I was stupid, chose this hotel because it was in the center of town. Never again!

Room Tip: Find an other Hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I apologize for your inconvenience. A quick call with a little more specific details about the shower would be greatly appreciated. I can assure you that I have personally checked room 1106 and this room has a brand new shower valve.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful, big rooms. Excellent service but small on the amenities outside the room. But it excels in location, location, location. Stayed there where husband argued in federal court. Right next door to courthouse. Lovely view of Capitol.

Room Tip: no real restaurant. Just a self service area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business