“Nice place to stay”

Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Hotel was clean and had a friendly staff. The breakfast was good and varied, much better than coffee and doughnuts offering fruits, oatmeal, muffins topped with egg and cheese, etc. Room was fine but the furnishings (couch especially) had seen its better days. Room layout was odd but ok, there is a partition that just sort of takes up room without offering any real privacy from the sitting area. But the place is CLEAN which is a must for me. Good location and a fair price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank mikejustmike
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My roller derby team stayed here as we had a bout in Richmond that night, and it was a perfect size for 5 of us. Two on each bed and one in the fold out couch on the other side of the room. The TV was large enough that all of us in the beds could see it. The room was big enough overall to have all of our bags around without feeling like we had the place a mess. The only negative to the room was how small the bathroom was - you would open the door, which almost hit the toilet, and would have to squeeze in to shut it. Overall, the room was very clean.

I wasn't expecting a gourmet breakfast, but they did have a few hot options which was nice. It was enough to fill us up before heading home. service was good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Check in fast. Bar area handy. Staff helpful. Room is clean although they definitely put out a strong cleaning smell. Don't know if it's masking something or not but more than we usual smell at hotels. Our room seemed very clean. However, the bathroom door came so close into the bathroom that it was hard to manuver. We were 3 females, all under 130lbs so not sure how a larger person would manage in this bathroom situation. Possibly an accessible room would help with this problem. Fitness center was basic but just fine with 2 nice treadmills, a recumbant bike and an eliptical. Nice weights and a weightlifting bench.

When we arrived in the evening, we got the grab and go salad and a glass of wine and had the free breakfast in the morning. We have stayed here before and for some reason they always oversalt their oatmeal so that it tastes like it was made with ocean water but beyond that, breakfast was just fine and your standard fare if not possibly made better by the english muffin sandwiches with egg and canadian bacon. We came with a group and the lobby area with tables and various group seating areas worked great for us. We will come back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gymmom1118
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My husband and I have stayed there before and we love it. We had a room with a king sized bed. It’s like a little suite. You have a large sitting room, kitchen area (with a bar sink, mini fridge and desk) and a bedroom. A huge tv in the center that swivels so you can see it no matter what room you’re in. The bed is super comfortable and it just invited you to fall asleep. There is no room service but there is a way to order food 24 hours a day. They have a good continental style breakfast with egg and ham English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juice, and bagels. The hotel was clean and we didn’t have any problems.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I was pretty hesitant when booking this hotel due to mixed reviews but figured I'd give it a shot. Traveling with my 3 year old toddler, we were swiftly checked-in. To my surprise, the room was clean and bright. Clean linens too:) Staff were courteous and attentive. Called late at night due to a drain issue and that was handled within 30min. Breakfast each morning was okay i.e breakfast sandwiches with pork, pancakes or french toast, juices, cereal, fruit, oatmeal. Overall, it's not your 4star hotel but they are trying to keep their customers happy by providing great service. On another note, a previous reviewer mentioned a fruity air freshener scent that lingered at all times and may be overpowering for those with asthma/allergy induced issues. Hope this helps:)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

"Welcome to a Different Place" is the slogan for this hotel, and different it sure is, but not in a good way. Where do I begin?

Check-in was fine, and the girl at the desk was nice and friendly, but when I glanced straight up at te ceiling a few ceiling tiles have turned brown from water damage. No biggie, but still an quality issue from an appearance stand-point.

The hotel has a funky flower perfumey smell like it's trying to mask something. When we got to our room on the 5th floor, it smelled musty/moldy, which really bothered by sinuses.

As soon as I walked in the room I wanted to leave. It just had a gross feeling and the smell didn't help. It didn't feel clean, and the tub had weird suction marks on it, probably from an old tub mat or something. I showered with my flip-flops on.

We were going to stay 2 nights to see some historical sites in the area, but we promptly canceled our 2nd night and moved to another hotel closer to the outer banks (which is our final destination).

Breakfast was also inedible. My husband poured a glass of milk and discovered it was sour when he took a sip. The waffles tasted like cardboard and the coffee was not good at all....I dumped it after a sip.

We went back to our room to finish packing and my husband had to use the restroom before we hit the road. Well, someone from the cleaning staff opened our door when we were still inside and saw my husband using the bathroom. We did not check out of our room yet, so I have no idea why the staff member thought it was okay to open our door. In all honesty, we thought this bathroom circumstance was pretty funny, but our privacy was not respected either, which was just icing on the cake to our experience at this "different place."

We've never stayed at a Hyatt before, and we never will again. We are peacefully enjoying our stay at a Hilton right now.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We recently stayed here with our softball team. One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Service was great!!! The staff was very friendly. And even though it was over !! groups checking in at the same time, check in was a breeze.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business