“UGH”

Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We are members of the "Hyatt Family" but you would not know it from our stay. WE were given a room with a broken bed (we were moved the next day after we notified them). Note: the hotel was not full, so why were they even using this room? The breakfast is HORRIBLE. My "skillet sandwich" would break a tooth, given the opportunity. They remove the complimentary lobby coffee ASAP, so then your option is to purchase the expensive stuff. The first room had a bathroom that had experienced some type of ceiling damage-let's say water-and the fan didn't work. The heating/cooling system was loud and not especially efficient. You are either too hot or too cold. They did acknowledge our displeasure after we responded to a survey and gave us some points. Wish there was a better choice in the area.

Room Tip: Stay at The Jefferson in town.
Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Teressa G
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my second time here in three years. My first time was quite nice. I traveled with my mother for the holidays. Prior to arriving we both agreed that we were more excited about staying at the hotel than visiting family.
When we arrived we were well past the 3pm check-in, yet our room was already reserved and there was no wait. We walked in and it felt like home. There was enough space for two people to spread out and not get in each other's way.
I was shocked the next evening when I discovered that they had a bar available and they had expanded on their grab n' go menu. Breakfast was available, but like most hotels it ends early.
The best part is that room service did not bother us at all! We went three days before letting room service clean up and it as a job well done.
Though the building is from 1998, I still felt like it had everything I needed. The price was a steal for everything that is offered.
If I could change one thing it would be the toiletries. This is we're the price showed. Bring your own.
One suggestion, bring dish detergent if you plan on using the wet bar sink.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet choose and upper floor and ask for a microwave in your room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank A O
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before because it is so close to family. This time when I asked for the room to be defeathered I was told there was no housekeeping people available to change it out. They brought me new pillows, but they were feather, too. I sent an e-mail to the on-line site and got an answer pretty quick. I thought this was not professional. I am allergic to feathers and needed them to fix the room which I paid for.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This is my second visit to a Hyatt Place hotel. My first visit was great so I was expecting the same caliber hotel, just in a different city. I of course used my fellow trip advisor's past review to help me decide on this particular hyatt place location. I'm not sure how long hyatt has been here, but you can tell that the building is old. My room had carpet stains, rust and yellowing in the tub, nips, chips, dings in all the woodwork, a mirror that was about to fall off and the door to the room did not seem secure. The bed's mattress was definitely worn out since they had a lot of give, you could feel the springs and hear them creek when you sat down. This place had such glowing reviews, so I was disappointed with my trip. I used my hyatt gold points, so you would think they would want to give their loyal customers the best experience. The area itself seems very safe, tucked away in a quiet area. The reception was also very nice but these alone we're not enough to change my view. I'm glad I was only here two nights.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Nice hotel. We enjoyed the stay - nice amenities, safe and convenient.

One thing to remember - on the way from/to hotel, one passes couple of tollbooths, where no attendant i available during night hours (I believe 10 PM to 6 AM), so if you are arriving/leaving during these hours then keep some quarters and dimes handy.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 316TravelN
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Upon entering the property your are met with music and a nice reception area. Lobby is large and calls you to sit and relax. Rooms are large with a separate sitting area that converts into a bed. Coffee maker and fridge in the room.

Breakfast is a step above what you see at Holiday Inn Express and similar hotels. The ham, egg, cheese, English muffin sandwiches were great. Juice was from a pitcher and much better than that from the machines typically seen at free breakfasts.

Had group rate of $94.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I have stayed at other Hyatt Place hotels before, and this one was just as good. It is convenient to Midlothian Turnpike and all the restaurants and shops in the Midlothian corridor. Our room was comfortable and spacious. The in-room refrigerator was an added convenience. We also liked the exercise room.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple