“Friendly Staff, Convenient Location”

Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly Staff, Convenient Location”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked this hotel for myself and several family members as we were in town for my nephew's graduation. Upon entering the hotel, the first thing I noticed was that it smelled really good inside. I just couldn't help but notice that during my entire stay! I stayed in a room with my husband and 5 year old son. We were very impressed with the size of the room and especially the size of the television! The hookups to the the television also made it easy to connect devices.

This hotel was really convenient to everything and I found everything I needed from a CVS to a Marshalls (forgot my son's swimsuit) within a 3 mile radius. Food options were also plentiful! It was easy to get into downtown Richmond, but one mistake I made was not having enough change for all the small tolls! Be sure to have extra change on hand.

The only small complaint was that the bathrooms are super teeny. In addition, the hotel was booked due to a baseball league and elevators took forever.

The breakfast wasn't what I expected, but because the hotel was full, what they did have out was fresh and quite tasty. The french toast was pretty decent and the fruit was good. Don't expect a full spread...

Overall the staff was extremely friendly and we were greeted by anyone we came across. Customer service was definitely not an issue here.

Room Tip: Double rooms are much larger than the king rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel (3 nights) for a swim meet at Collegiate School. The staff was fantastic and accommodating. They opened breakfast early for us which was great. The hotel is about three miles from the Chesterfield Mall but very convenient via highway to the pool so a good location for us. It is a Hyatt Place, so not as upscale as a Hyatt or Grand Hyatt, but for $99 a night a good value.

Each room had a large flat screen and the vanity was updated with granite and located outside the shower and toilet. The heating and air unit was a window unit so was noisy. The rooms were big with a partition between the beds/bed and front of the room that had a large sectional sofa that was also a pullout. There also was a small refrigerator and sink in this area with a desk.

The pool area was private with towels available, chaise lounges, and table and chairs. The lobby was set up with a bar and food service area that was nice.

We would stay here again with the team.

• Stayed May 2014
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The rooms are very nice, and the staff is fun. They have a decent bar downstairs if you want a short list of cocktails, beer, or wine. The limited menu is nice. The exercise room as 2 treadmills, an elliptical trainer, and a bike. But there are 3 problems: 1) The breakfast is free but not very good, 2) they ran out of hot water most mornings and one morning the pipes "coughed" out some brown water, and 3) if you're on the highway side of the building the road noise can be a nuisance. Plus a pet peeve of mine is the lack of outlets on the bedside tables.

Room Tip: Avoid the highway side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg S
Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 days as we came down to tour Richmond, va. Its actually off of the highway and if you want to drive into downtown Richmond you had to pay multiple tolls.

The room we stayed in wasn't bad, fairly decent size. It had a newer flat screen tv with multiple hookups. The couch in there was kinda outdated. The bathroom was super small with almost no room to even sit on the toilet.

The lobby has a bar with pretty good food to eat if you want to just sit and relax. Offered a decent choice for breakfast. We stayed from fri night and checked out Monday. They didn't notify us that the times for breakfast change from weekend to weekdays.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt K
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We are members of the "Hyatt Family" but you would not know it from our stay. WE were given a room with a broken bed (we were moved the next day after we notified them). Note: the hotel was not full, so why were they even using this room? The breakfast is HORRIBLE. My "skillet sandwich" would break a tooth, given the opportunity. They remove the complimentary lobby coffee ASAP, so then your option is to purchase the expensive stuff. The first room had a bathroom that had experienced some type of ceiling damage-let's say water-and the fan didn't work. The heating/cooling system was loud and not especially efficient. You are either too hot or too cold. They did acknowledge our displeasure after we responded to a survey and gave us some points. Wish there was a better choice in the area.

Room Tip: Stay at The Jefferson in town.
Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Teressa G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my second time here in three years. My first time was quite nice. I traveled with my mother for the holidays. Prior to arriving we both agreed that we were more excited about staying at the hotel than visiting family.
When we arrived we were well past the 3pm check-in, yet our room was already reserved and there was no wait. We walked in and it felt like home. There was enough space for two people to spread out and not get in each other's way.
I was shocked the next evening when I discovered that they had a bar available and they had expanded on their grab n' go menu. Breakfast was available, but like most hotels it ends early.
The best part is that room service did not bother us at all! We went three days before letting room service clean up and it as a job well done.
Though the building is from 1998, I still felt like it had everything I needed. The price was a steal for everything that is offered.
If I could change one thing it would be the toiletries. This is we're the price showed. Bring your own.
One suggestion, bring dish detergent if you plan on using the wet bar sink.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet choose and upper floor and ask for a microwave in your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank A O
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before because it is so close to family. This time when I asked for the room to be defeathered I was told there was no housekeeping people available to change it out. They brought me new pillows, but they were feather, too. I sent an e-mail to the on-line site and got an answer pretty quick. I thought this was not professional. I am allergic to feathers and needed them to fix the room which I paid for.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple