“May Be Good for Richmond, But Not a Marriott to Write Home About”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Have stayed at the Richmond Marriott several times in recent years, and the experiences have been consistently average. The best part of this hotel is that the staff are friendly and helpful. Otherwise, this is an average or below average property for a Marriott.

Most of the good restaurants require driving, but the hotel does provide a free shuttle service. Staff are helpful with recommendations. The Tobacco Company is a popular recommendation (http://www.thetobaccocompany.com/).

The hotel restaurant and bar are disappointing.

The fitness center is acceptable, but below my expectations for a Marriott.

Will probably go back here next time I am in Richmond, but without high expectations.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 February 2011

We were at this hotel for an event at the Convention Center. You don't even have to walk outside in order to get to there which is a great perk. There is a nice hotel bar and restaurant, with an area outside of the bar to "hang out" with a group. Valet parking was 19 per day (a little much) but it was convenient having the option of going in and out at no charge.

Our king bed room had just enough room to squeeze the rollaway we requested (brought to our room with a smile along with extra towels). There is wireless internet for 12 dollars a day (unless you are platinum - then it's free, along with breakfast - but again, only if you have status). The bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean, and a small amount of drawer space.

All in all, good hotel, but internet should be free and parking was too much.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The rooms were on the small side, but updated pretty nicely. Bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The bathroom was very small- hardly any room to get dressed, dry my hair, etc. It was manageable for one night.
Beware of the parking scam. The hotel does not validate parking, and the price is $8 every time you leave the garage. So if you park the car and want to go out at night and park again, you are charged $8 to leave the garage that night and then $8 again when you leave in the morning. Total rip-off. If you can find parking on the street, do it. The garage attendants are also horribly rude and unhelpful. It is not Marriott's lot- it is a public lot across the street connected to the hotel by a bridge.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mack09
MarriottManagement, General Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I apologize for your experience with the garage/parking. We offer valet parking as our parking option, as the garage that is connected to the hotel is a city garage, and not managed/owned by our hotel. I apologize that this left a bad impression and I will share your comments with the garage management. Thanks again for your feedback.

Tom Underwood

Reviewed 8 December 2010

I enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. The only problem was they didn't offer internet service in them. However, I did get a wholesale rate booking through Resorts Plus International, so it was still well worth it. The food at the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. I loved the walk over to the convention center!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel to attend a conference. It's ideal for that! We didn't bring along a laptop this trip and needed to do a quick look up on a web page. The Business Center had a computer there but using it required a minimum payment of $3. Its the only hotel that we have stayed in where this is done.

The room was comfortable but felt small. The bed had the latest in comforts/pillows but we both had trouble sleeping on this bed. We were either too hot or cold. We also could never get the door to open with the card they provide even after engineering reprogrammed the lock. But the staff was always responsive in getting the door open for us, but it was an annoyance. Despite the issues we would likely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This is a fine hotel for business, though some minor upgrades could go a long way to improving it. First, my room had a strong vinegar smell that never went away. Second, the door never seemed to shut all the way and light entered the room so even with the lights out and the curtains pulled, there was too much light in the room. Third, the thermostat didn't seem to do anything and the room remained stuffy throughout my stay.

Those are minor nits, however; the bed was comfortable, location convenient, and amenities sufficient. I would stay here again if passing through Richmond. Parking was $19 - which seems really high given the vacant buildings adjacent to the hotel and the ample street parking.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I imagine that most people stay here for business or to be close to the convention center. From the moment I got out of the taxi, every single person working at the hotel that I came in contact with was friendly and eager to ensure that my needs were being met. The lobby is very nice, great space to meet with colleagues. My room was very clean, I definitely checked the mattress and everything seemed OK--its probably time to update the carpets in the hallways and rooms, but other than that, I have no issue with the room. There was very little noise during the night, but I know that when there is a convention (regardless of hotel) the hallways tend to get noisy. Guess I got lucky! I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (sports bar). The staff were very helpful and friendly. The gentleman at the omelet station was professional and made sure that everything was being made the way I wanted--he even brought the omelet to my table. My coffee cup and OJ glass were never empty. They also have a concierge lounge and a Starbucks in the lobby. Like all Marriotts--if you are a gold/platinum rewards member, then the internet was free--which is really great. Overall, I would say that if you have to be in Downtown Richmond, this hotel would be a good choice, particularly for the business traveler. In regards to my rating, I am comparing it to similar level hotels--Marriott, Westin, Omni, Sheraton, Hilton and not the Courtyards/Hilton Garden type of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business