Richmond Marriott
US$121
US$165
US$141
FourPoints.com
All reviewsthe concierge loungeconvention centervalet parkingfront desk staffhotel restaurantgreat customer servicedowntown areaup to datehotel staffnice staybed was comfortablevalet servicechecking inindoor poolstarbucksdawnlobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The Marriott brand is my favorite, but this particular property is disappointing. It is a very old and dated property. My room was comfortable enough, but I have dust allergies and when I woke up the next morning my allergy symptoms were on overdrive. Parking is an issue. There is a garage a block away on a side street that is not accessible from the hotel lobby and that charges $17/day with no in-and-out service. East Broad Street in Richmond is not a neighborhood where you would feel comfortable walking around after dark, so just getting to and from the garage at night is a concern. The only alternative is the hotel valet service which is $25/day plus tips. The Internet service in the hotel is not free, $13/day, and is cable only and not wireless in the rooms. So, if you have an iPad you have to go down to the lobby for Internet service. The staff was friendly enough, but I have a feeling that the only reason that this hotel is still open is because of the Richmond Convention Center next door. Otherwise, I suspect that Marriott would have abandoned the area as most of the major retailers did years ago.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback Business_TravelerFFX.

I'm sorry that your experience at the Richmond Marriott did not live up to your expectations of the Marriott brand. I'm especially sorry that we weren't able to address a couple of the concerns that you note in your posting, because I'm afraid you were given some less-than-accurate information, and we could have made your stay with us more comfortable. Specifically, and in the hopes that we might be able to bring you back the next time you have business in downtown Richmond, you should know that the garage you speak of is, in fact, accessible from the hotel lobby, via a direct enclosed skywalk. I apologize that this was not pointed out to you by one of our staff. Also, and again, I'm not sure who gave you bad information, but we do, in fact, have wireless Internet accessibility in all of our 410 guestrooms. We made this upgrade over a year ago specifically to address the needs of our increasing number of guests travelling with iPads that were not able to connect otherwise.
Again, I wish to thank you for your time and your comments. I'm sorry that you found downtown Richmond not to your liking, and I wish that we had provided you with better information about hotel services while you were with us. Your feedback allows us the opportunity to continue to improve, and I hope that you're able to see some of that improvement the next time business brings you to Richmond.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I recently stayed at Richmond Marriott while working at VCU Med Center. I was working during the day and going back on the night shift for a few hours as well. So it was challenging to get enough sleep and I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel is very quiet. My room felt like a cocoon. I accessed the concierge lounge for a few meals and found the food fine, especially breakfast. The sports bar in the lobby has mediocre food at best, but it's handy and the service is great.
It was an easy walk during the day to VCU Med Center, of course, I wouldn't recommend that at night. I understand there is a VCU rate but I didn't know that until later.
Valet parking is kind of expensive but totally reliable, I never had to wait for my car as l have in some city hotels in the past. I am female and traveled alone and I felt very safe returning to the hotel even late at night. The front reception area is busy, well lit and has attentive staff. On my last morning as I checked out, the valet attendant made sure I knew the way to the airport even though it didn't occur to me to ask him, thus saving me from having to use my GPS. And he also mentioned that there were gas stations at airport exit, which was extremely handy. It's the little things that count.

Room Tip: As with most full service Marriotts, not all rooms have microwave and fridge, so ask for them if you have a need.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2012

we stayed at this marriot one evening last month becuase we had a certificate to use by the end of september. the hotel was very busy with two big events. however, you would never have known it based on the excellent service we recieved. from parking the card, to checking in, to the bellman who brought up our bags, to the waiters at dinner and breakfast, etc. etc. i travel a lot and rarely write reviews, but i felt i needed to do so for the richmond marriot because the service was so, so great.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for the feedback bodiKansas!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your time at the Richmond Marriott and especially so that you can credit that experience to the service offered by our outstanding staff members. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again soon on your next visit to Virginia's River City.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Don't waste your money!! Very dissatisfied with the quality of service. Staff was extremely rude and pretentious. Bathrooms are very old and outdated. Concierge was rude and not helpful. Hotel manager was also not very hospitable. Too pricey!'

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ksg1092
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback, Ksg1092.
I am sorry that your experience with us fell short of your expectations. As we are always seeking to improve, I'd like to learn a little more about what went wrong during your visit to Richmond. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience so that I can address the specifics of your stay. I can be reached at 804-643-3400, or via e-mail at scott.paradine@whitelodging.com. If you'd like to drop me a quick note with your contact information and the best time to reach you, I'd be happy to do so.
Hearing your observations allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide that feedback.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for two nights during a conference I attended there. Every staff member was attentive and helpful. When you came into the lobby, they would each make a point of greeting you. The hotel location is excellent. We walked/ran to the river. There was a shuttle to take us to Shockoe Bottom and he came and picked us up when we called. I highly recommend this venue for any stay in downtown Richmond.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business