“Comfortable stay”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for one night. I had a comfortable stay. My room was in great condition and we had one of their new "signature" kings size beds which was very nice. The hotel is right across the convention center and also a couple of blocks from their civic center. There are always conventions or sports events taking place so it's a very busy property tons of people in/out at the lobby yet our room and floor was quiet and we were able to sleep well. Their valet is a bit pricey ($26 daily) but they are top notch with their service.. The other "self serving" parking options are not really good. Overall, we had a good experience and would stay there again in the future.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed at the Marriott in Downtown Richmond for several legislative meetings. The Staff went out of their way to be friendly and polite. They provided exceptional service. The room was clean comfortable. My only complaint would be that I was traveling with a small child and a mini fridge would have been very handy. We went ahead and brought a small cooler so all was OK. I plan on staying there again for any future Richmond meetings!

Room Tip: Request the Concierge level. It is well worth the cost. Includes internet and a continental breakfas...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed at the Richmond Marriott for almost a month while moving to start a new job. I felt like I was being pampered! Right from the get-go, the valet staff was quick and did everything with a smile. I was greeted by a mutlitude of people before I even got to the check-in desk. The employee was prompt and again, had a huge smile on her face. There was a miscommunication with my relocation company but they said that they would take care of that completely on their own without bothering me about it- awesome!
My jaw dropped when I entered my room...a gigantic king size bed with the absolute MOST comfortable sheets and pillows I've ever slept on. I made it just in time for room service and the food looked and tasted great! I set out my card for my breakfast order and slept like a baby. The next morning, my food arrived exactly on time and I was able to make it to work early thanks to the fast valet service.
Every day of my stay I was greeted kindly and sincerely by the staff who, after almost a month, became my friends. I thoroughly enjoyed T.Millers, although a little pricey, and the bartenders and waitstaff were awesome. I even got to enjoy one of my favorite bands at The National, which is just steps away from the hotel!
I was almost sad when I had to leave and move into my new apartment because I had really found a home at the Marriott. I would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This hotel is bad! Terrible! My Lady and I spent two nights at this hotel because of a New Year’s Eve gala that was being held there.

When we arrived, there we three people to take our car, but no one to help with the luggage. The room had inadequate heat. A repair person came to the room, replaced a motor in the heating unit, but said the pipes were not as hot as they should be … hence inadequate heating. Our room was not provided maid service. When we had to request for the service, we wanted to make it easy and asked for just for towels and soap … and soap ... and soap. But, no soap was left. Three of the 4 glasses were taken but not replaced. Someone … the glass lady? … was supposed to bring up glasses, but never did. On the way to the gala I stopped by the front desk, and explained our lack of service. I requested that 2 bars of soap and 3 glasses be available for us to pick up at the desk after the gala. Of course after the midnight gala … the staff at the front desk were unaware of our request.

The hotel catered the New Year’s Eve gala. They served the worst tasting hors d'oeuvres in my memory. My martini tasted as though is was all vermouth. Things didn’t get any better at dinner … the salmon tasted closer to sardines … and the beef was tough. Enough! You should get the point. Oh, and when temporarily leaving the hotel, the auto attendant gave directions that began with driving the wrong way one a one-way street.

One needs to experience the terrible in order to really appreciate the great. If you need a reminder of the terrible, this downtown Richmond Marriott is a place that will do it.

1  Thank Beyondthebull
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Thank you for your feedback, Beyondthebull.

I am sorry that your experience at the Richmond Marriott fell short of your expectations on New Year's Eve. It sounds as though we failed on several fronts, from your arrival, to our housekeeping service and right through your event that evening. I apologize that we put a damper on what should have been an enjoyable evening of celebration, I can empathize with your frustration. I'd like to have the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience so that I can address the specifics of your stay, and respond directly. It is my hope that we might be able to bring you back to the Richmond Marriott sometime in the near future, provide the excellent service that Marriott Hotels worldwide are known for, and restore your confidence in our property and our people. I can be reached at 804-643-3400, or via e-mail at scott.paradine@whitelodging.com. If you'd like to drop me a quick note with your contact information and the best time to reach you, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and for the opportunity to learn and improve on our past performance.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We got a great deal for NYE! We stayed Sunday, Dec 31st -Jan 1, 2013...Great rates for both days!! The staff was very helpful, smiling and friendly! Never encountered any staff that didn't speak...they were super awesome!

The beds were very comfortable...pillows also...I slept like a baby!

Valet parking was great, the wait time to get your car wasn't long...the staff was really on the move! Great job!!

The sports bar (T-Miller) was packed for the Redskins/Cowboys game, the waitress that we had was very slow, and not attentive, while another waitress was really on the move....maybe ours was just not used to the hustle and bustle of being so crowded....maybe she was new? I don't know, that was the only part that sucked for the sports bar...

While the hotel was great, the location is a little iffy for me, had I been there alone, I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving the hotel for a walk...but being that I was with my boyfriend, we walked for a couple of blocks while we were there, he's from Richmond and knows the area...so I felt safe with him. There are a lot of closed down businesses and a lot of people hanging on the street in front of these buildings and at the bus stops...but again this has nothing to do with how great the hotel was, just my thoughts of the area itself...I'm scared easily by certain types of surroundings...

We will be staying there again, when we're in Richmond to visit family or just hanging out for a night or two...Thanks for the great hospitality Richmond Marriott!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor had a great city view!
Reviewed 1 January 2013

if your staying in this hotel is probably because your sightseeing Richmond or your attending an event in the hotel or locally , as there isn't much else around this location.
The service from the staff was very good , you were almost falling over yourself on people we had 3 staff greet us on arrival.
Concierge parking is expensive ( as it is at all the other near hotels ) but worth it as there are some rough areas around the hotel.The lobby is amazing with a nice sports bar and Starbucks , the rooms clean and fresh and up to snuff for Marriott standards if a little in the small side . The beds were super comfortable and if you know me that's a gripe i typically have with Marriott and why i typically stay at the Hilton hotels , but these beds were new and really nice.Internet is $13 a day unless your a gold or higher member , and if you are there is also a concierge room on the 15th floor serving snacks and drinks.
If I was a gold member or above and needed to stay in the area i would pick this hotel if it was for the odd night or so , if not I would go with this or the Hilton across the road depending on which had the better deals on the day.

Room Tip: High room away from lift , 15th floor can get busy because of the concierge room
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I had a good experience staying at this hotel for 5 nights on business. Every staff member that I encountered was friendly and eager to help.The fitness center is well equipped by hotel standards. Pool and hot tub were also nice. The hotel's restaurant is a bar & grill type of place that is just slightly overpriced, however the food and service there are both good. There was also a Starbucks in the lobby which was convenient to have around. As is standard for Marriott, the beds and pillows here are very comfortable and I slept better there than I usually do in my own home.

The only real issue I had was that the location wasn't ideal. Its not in a bad area and I never felt unsafe, but at night there are sometimes homeless wandering around. Hotel security does a good job of mitigating that issue for the most part though. There also aren't many bars or restaurants within walking distance which was a let down (although the hotel has a free shuttle available that can take you around in the immediate area).

Overall a good experience, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business