“Connected to the Convention Center”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stay at this hotel once a year while attending an event at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. I like that it's connected by a walkway and also has a parking garage connected.

The hotel is comfortable the rooms were spacious and clean. The lobby was pleasant and I found the sports bar to be a bit better than most hotel restaurants. There was a manager visiting tables which was a nice touch.

The staff was helpful with suggestions for places to eat. There is not a lot of options for within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StayCationNC
There are newer reviews for Richmond Marriott

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Visited Richmond for area college tours. Originally tried to book the airport facility (for convenience) but it was booked to capacity. They recommended and booked me for the downtown location.
All staff members extremely polite and helpful as we checked in late at night. It was easy to get to from the airport. The room was cleaner than I have seen in a hotel for some time. Beds very comfortable. They have a valet with a $25 fee which seemed maybe a bit steep but the car was ready in no time when requested and turned over to me with big smiles and genuine wishes for a good day.
They have a bar/lounge area with several large screens, and a good sized dining area with morning buffet. All served by very friendly staff. I would give this location an excellent rating in terms of cleanliness, staff, location and amenities. If we return, we would certainly consider staying here again.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed here for Lego Kids Fest. Every staff member from the valet parking attendant to bell hops to the front desk were warm, friendly, helpful, and polite. They all seemed genuinely happy to be there and happy to help. Our room was a little small, but very clean with comfortable easy and desk chairs. There was not enough drawers for three people to put their things, but this wasn't a problem for our one-night stay. The bed was comfortable enough, but too soft for my liking. I like the desk panel that had plenty of outlets for plugging in your portable electronics as well as auxiliary inputs for the TV. They charged us for valet parking even though it was part of our package, but removed the charge immediately when it was brought to their attention. They also removed the charge for our awful breakfast. We'd definitely stay there again given it's great location right next to the convention center and close to many downtown attractions.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed at the Richmond Marriott during the LEGO Kidsfest at the Richmond Convention Center. Given that the hotel was sold-out and swarming with families and kids, I really could not have asked for a better experience. Every member of the staff was extremely polite, professional, and helpful. When our room service order took longer than expected, they called to let us know it was on the way and went out of their way to make sure everything was as we had requested.

The pool was a complete zoo of kids, but really, what do you expect when almost every guest was there for the LEGO event? I will say, the pool area was clean and housekeeping did a great job keeping pool towels in stock.

We have Marriott platinum status and received a room on the top floor. Very quiet, very clean and the beds (as others have mentioned) were extremely comfortable. There is a skywalk to the garage (city-run, $8 weekend rate) and to the convention center.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Downtown Richmond for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Top floor facing James River.
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night stay with friends at this hotel. We were going to spend the weekend end in Richmond to do a bit of sightseeing and go to the Lego Fest event for my son’s birthday. As a Platinum member I am bias to the Marriott brand however as such I do expect a high level of service. We arrived quite early in the day I asked if the rooms were ready and told they were not, no real problem as we were very early and were heading out to Capitol building. I had contacted the hotel prior my arrival to request adjoining rooms, I reminded the lady behind the desk of the request. She informed me that we had been upgraded to a premium room and they would be opposite each other on the 18th floor.
On our return later in the day I went to check in only to be told that the rooms that were no longer available and that they could give us rooms on the 17th floor but one was a king (We were two families and needed 2 Queens for the kids) After about 15 mins the lady was finally able to give us 2 rooms on the concierge level. The rooms in general were fine and clean, a wee bit small.
The following morning we woke with a bill under the door for the one night, I phoned down to reception to ensure they had us down for 2 nights they said they did and told me to disregard the bill. We headed out for the day and the Lego Fest and had a wonderful time.
We returned to the room around 4:30 to find that our rooms had not been serviced, when I informed the front desk, they said they were sorry and would send someone up straight away. Unfortunately we had been on the go all-day and just wanted to chill out so we just got new towels and toiletries.
My friend and I then headed out in the car, so I called down to the front desk to make sure key was sorted for the garage. I was then informed that the hotel did not have a deal with the parking and I had to pay direct with them. So I did, only to find out later when we had to head in the car later that every time you go in out it costs $8 !!!!!! I checked the hotel website and it does say that they have on site parking !!!!I
When checking out I was asked if everything was alright with our stay I mentioned the items above to a lady called Brenda I think, she told me she would tell her manager. I then asked if he/she was around I would like to speak to them, she informed he was in a meeting and another one wasn't in until 10.
Now for the good things about the hotel - THE PEOPLE- Nearly every member of staff were very friendly and helpful, as you walk around the hotel nearly every member of staff say's good morning or hello very nice touch. John in the concierge lounge was exceptionally nice and friendly and a real asset.
Overall we all had a good time but as my friends normally stay a Hiltons and I had suggested staying at the Marriott I feel a little let down by the overall service. I guess next time we hook up we will be going to a Hilton.
I do think the Hotel needs to be a little clearer on the parking on the website.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GlenElgin
SusanGDOSM123, Director of Sales at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

GlenElgin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and being a loyal Marriott guest. All of your feedback is truly appreciated. We want to create an excellent experience for our guests during every stay and every review helps us to do so. Rest assured that the parking verbiage on our website is being review and edited to clarify all of the options offered to our guests. As we do not own the garage, unfortunately, we do not have control over the pricing. We look forward to having you back again soon and exceeding your expectations during your next stay.

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Lego Kids Fest. Great location right next to convention center. Room was very small. It was a adjoining room so we could hear the neighbors. Pool was crowded and murky. Bed was comfy. Shower head was way too low. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

Out of my kids mouths" these beds are so comfortable ! "
We typically stay in a suite , but wanted to
Stay with our cheer group that had a standard room . These rooms were comfortable and nicely set up for a small room .
Bellman were professional and courteous - this is appreciated . On a snowy day , valet was a dream !
We ate at the in house restaurant for sandwiches and food was great ! Their brunch buffet was fresh and goat cheese / spinach / crab omelet to die for !

Front desk staff ready to help you at all times .
It is nice having coffee shop in Lobby.
Able to walk to many restaurants

• Stayed: January 2013