“This is the "Gold Standard" in service, atmosphere and friendliness. And all at a fair price.”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Frederick, MD
Reviewed 6 April 2014

On checkin on Friday thru departure Sunday Brian's staff excelled. Particularly CATHY, NATE & CRYSTAL at the Front Desk. ARSONIA, CITRA and DANIEL were very attentive, and skilled in the dining room. Donnell kept the Buffet full with skill, speed and a Smile. I was Impressed! All are "Professionals"! Thank You.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a far better than average Marriott. I have stayed here twice now once on a Nascar race weekend and most recently on business. The hotel has a great location in downtown close to some very nice restaurants. The hotel has a very popular bar scene but is on the pricey side. From the moment you stop at the front door they are about service. Management here is clearly exceptional and it shows with the attitude and professionalism of the staff and every area I came in contact with. Highly recommended. Parking is really the only issue that I have but then parking anywhere in Richmond is a mission and expensive. I saved myself a couple of bucks by parking right across the street at night for $18 but that means you can't move your car after paying for parking and you are prepared to walk. Valet is $26/day so not cheap.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

March 2014: Stayed at the Richmond Marriott in downtown Richmond for a night. Fine hotel, no problems, across the street from the convention center, self-parking attached to the hotel. Would stay there again. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bazilu25
Max Meadows, Virginia
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Richmond Marriott is not a new hotel. That being said, they have made efforts in recent years to keep it fresh. I'd almost call it venerable considering how many years I've traveled to this property beginning in childhood, through high school and college, and now as a working professional.

The rooms aren't large but they're comfortable and clean. The bedding was well above-average. The bathroom is small but the towels were plentiful and the amenities also above-average. The temperature control was much more in-control than most I've encountered.

The concierge lounge was fairly crowded even at 20 minutes til the end of the appetizer time. I was truly surprised at the variety of food presented. Fresh fruit, pasta salad, breaded shrimp, and a chicken gumbo among other things. While some people took advantage of this as their dinner, I opted for a snack with dinner later.

Room service wasn't the most prompt but the gentleman that brought it was beyond helpful and even showed me how the desk would move around for a better view out the window. I would advise the hotel that better descriptions would be a benefit. My peanut butter cake was not cake, in fact, but it was still lovely and tasty. The soup portion was gargantuan and tasty, although not technically a crab stew - it was more of a corn chowder with crab meat.

No, this Marriott isn't the cheapest offering in Richmond, nor are the rooms the largest. Downtown hotels of this age come with certain expectations. Fortunately, they also make up for the perceived shortfalls with better service. This property is no exception. You really can't beat the location, either.

From check-in til the valet closed my door, everyone was friendly and efficient. I was there for work so my meandering time was at a minimum, but it was an enjoyable stay nonetheless.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, naturally. Opt for a downtown view instead of a coliseum view, if...
Green Features: Unknown other than the usual towel on the floor/hanging option.
Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was here over a weekend for business, and from the very beginning, the customer service was outstanding! Everyone (minus one young "kid" who just lacked a little experience) was top notch and on their game. Since I am in customer service myself, I recognize and appreciate how difficult it can be to deliver great customer service sometimes. Very impressed and the managers have done well in training their staff. Or maybe it's because in general Richmond, VA folks tend to be very nice.

Anyways, this is where it gets disappointing because for this very reason alone, I most likely will never stay here again. I could hear EVERYTHING in my room. The doors are very thin and have no seals around the door to block out the noise in the hallways. I could hear when someone at the opposite end of my hallway was going in and out of their room. So imagine housekeeping in the early morning knocking of doors and chatting amongst themselves. Even at normal noise level outside, I felt like they were in my room, when all I wanted was to sleep.

The walls between rooms have no sound insulation because I could hear my neighbor sawing logs, or what seemed an entire Redwood forest, each night. The first night I laid in my bed from about 11pm--4:30 am praying for it to stop. I even called the front desk and they said there was nothing they could do, and they didn't have earplugs. AHHHHHH, thinking about it, I still get the urge to dropkick that person in their throat!

I have stayed at maybe 60-70 different hotels worldwide, and this was the noisiest hotel room I've ever stayed at.

p.s. Concierge Lounge was above average for Marriott Hotels

Room Tip: Ask for an end room to limit noise, which may help with the thin walls and doors.
Cathy P, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Lauren, thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback with your most recent say. I am o glad you enjoyed the service of our team. Our priority is the satisfaction of our guests through excellent service and I am glad the team made you feel welcomed.

I also noted the late night noise problem you encountered. I can certainly understand after a long day you would just want to relax and go to bed and apologize you we're unable to have a good nights sleep. Although you mentioned you may not stay here again, I have sent you my my email should you be in the area again I would like to upgrade you and ensure you a restful night that you deserve.

I look forward to hosting you at our property in the near future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Meets expectations of standard Marriott experience (good concierge lounge, central location, friendly staff, etc). The sports bar downstairs had better than average bar food and big TVs which was good because I was there during baseball playoffs! There are also a bunch of delicious, local restaurants within walking distance!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Cathy P, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities we offer and our restaurant menus! We are in the midst of vamping our restaurant menu so we look forward to hosting you again in the near future!
Lutherville, Maryland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a Field Hockey event in the Convention Center - location could not have been better. Rooms were clean and comfy. Parking fee is a bit of an annoyance. The hotel restaurant had decent food but clearly was understaffed for the amount of people staying there that weekend. Hotel staff very helpful and friendly. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Cathy P, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to fill out a Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities we had to offer and the service our staff provided. I also did note your comments on the restaurant and have communicated to our Restaurant General Manager. We hope to see you next year where we could have a second opportunity to show you an excellent dining experience.