“Wonderful Staff, Corporate Friendly”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Attended a Motorcoach Conference at the Marriott and stayed in one of their King rooms for 4 nights and I was very pleased with my overall experience. We wore name badges for the duration of our stay and the staff made every effort to address us by our names and always with a smile. The lobby was beautiful and the lengths the staff went to make our experience pleasant was impressive. We all work in the hospitality industry so we can be critical but I would definitely stay again! Only issue is the side my room was on didn't have much of a view but the rooms on the opposite did showcase the city. I basically looked out over a roof that was under construction and a parking garage.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was recently at the downtown Marriott, the staff was friendly for the most part. Although it was busy, the front desk associates were unable to do anything without management approval. The hotel is huge which seemed to cause some problems. The lobby and hallways were extremely hot, I was personally sweating from the time I left my room. There was a mobile AC unit in the street, but it did not seem to help. The room was extremely clean and well cared for. My BIGGEST complaint about the ENTIRE hotel is that the wifi was VERY SLOW. Furthermore, the rooms downstairs had NO SERVICE, no wifi, no cell reception. This made life extremely frustrating. I would think a hotel of this size would have a robust wifi system and cell network boosters. The Greater Richmond Convention center had a similar problem with reception. Lastly, given the size, be prepared to wait 5 to 10 minutes for an elevator.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped in for a night due to business meeting. Lobby is excellent. Greeted by several staff right away. Front desk staffer, Joe, is outstanding in customer service and communication skills. Concierge floor hospitality suite wasn't open on this Friday night yet I was offered either a complimentary breakfast or additional points, awesome. Room on the concierge level very nice, well equipped with a fridge and up to date bathroom. Gym and pool reasonable. Definitely a place to keep on the stay list.

Room Tip: Top or higher floors
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a full service Marriott. The valet helped to unload the car and explained how their valet parking worked. We were going right back out to dinner in a little while, so they left the car out front for us, which was nice, so we wouldn't have to pay for an additional time taking the car in and out of the parking area. The front desk was offering all kinds of help for various things. We were going to be there only one night, so we didn't need much. The room they gave us was nice and clean, but the lamp on one side of the bed did not work and the room was hot when we arrived. Most places have the room at a comfortable temperature when you arrive. We showered and dressed for dinner and the room still hadn't cooled off very much, even after turning the temp down to 70. We figured it would cool off by the time we came back from dinner.They gave us directions and off we went to dinner. Several hours later after returning from dinner, the room still had not cooled off very much. We turned the temp down a few degrees more and finally, cool air came out of the vent. The next morning, we went downstairs to breakfast to use our food vouchers they had given us. There wasn't very many people in the dining room, so we were seated right away and our orders were taken. After awhile, the dining room began to fill. We waited and waited, and still our food was not served. After a very long wait of over 30 minutes or more for eggs and toast, our orders arrived and they were both wrong. My omelet wasn't even the one I had ordered and my husband's was supposed to be without cheese, and it was full of cheese. We called the waitress and she apologized, retook our orders, and said she would take care of it. We were just about to give up and leave after another 30 minutes of waiting, when our re-orders finally arrived. Mine was ok but my husband's was still wrong. It was still full of cheese so he decided he would just pick the cheese out and eat it because by that time we were both starving. Then an extra order of wheat toast we ordered came and it was white bread instead of wheat. We tried to get refills on coffee and that took forever too.The waitress told me that they weren't expecting much business so they sent half of the kitchen and wait staff home. She was the only waitress for the entire dining room! Poor girl was almost in tears because quite a few people were being rude to her and walking out. Hopefully things would have been better if they had kept sufficient help, but for a hotel this size, someone made a very poor decision by sending half of the staff in the restaurant home before breakfast was over.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cathy P, Front Office Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank for you taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad our staff was able to provide you assistance wherever needed from valet to the desk. I can certainly understand the disappointment you encountered with breakfast and have shared this with the restaurant general manager. We hope you stay with us the next time you are in town so we can show you the excellent experience I know we can provide.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place to stay and the meeting rooms were good and it was run in a very professional manner. I had no problems as a quest or as a participant of the meeting. The food in the meeting was good too and I was quite surprised at how good it was. Thanks, and great job!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

So excited to stay at a full service Marriott...wow was I disappointed...smelly, wallpaper peeling in my room, very old carpet...very disappointed.
When I shared my concerns with front desk they said I could fill out a comment card and put it in the box...ok..here you go.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Cathy P, Front Office Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. I can certainly empathize with your disappointment about the excitement before checking in. Your feedback is important to us and we are constatnly looking for ways to improve our guests stay. I will forward this information on.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wonderful staff. We stayed there for a middle school convention. Staff was very patient. My daughter locked our keys in our room twice. Both times they happily let us back in. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014