“Sanctuary”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a bad experience earlier at another hotel in Richmond. When we arrived Latoya at the front desk made us feel at home. She quickly checked me in and made sure that everything we needed was taken care of. The room was very nice, quiet, clean and comfy. She gave us a city-view room and made sure we could quickly get off to bed after a long day and a very early start in front of us this morning. I slept well and awakened to a view of downtown Richmond at dawn.

The bell service and Valet - especially the valet was great. The young man gave me some pointers and tips and saved me a hassle. I appreciate him. I did not see the same young man when I left a 0-dark-30 when I left this morning, but I will be back to pick up my daughter the 2nd week of September and I will find you and give you an overdue tip.

I recommend this hotel in downtown RVA. Latoya is the best!

Room Tip: If they have city view above floor 10.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Cathy P, Front Office Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad that LaToya was able to make you feel at home and change your outlook about the hospitality that Richmond has to offer. Our team is dedicated to providing the highest level of customer service and I will be sure to share this with her and our team. We hope to see you back on our property should you be in Richmond again!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Richmond Marriott for 4 nights during the Eastern Zone swim meet. The staff were great and got the swimmers and their families everything they needed, including food and comfort. The hotel had a beautiful lobby, which included a built in Starbucks which everyone loved. However, there was not free WiFi, and to get the hotel WiFi they charged you $15.00 per night. Overall I had a great experience and would stay there again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was disappointed in this hotel. Stayed here with my wife and two kids as a stopover heading north. Got this hotel for $105 on Priceline, and was disappointed this was the place I got. Some of the others in the same class looked much nicer. Marriott charges for everything but the room-- including parking, bell service and internet. I asked for a luggage cart to do it myself and was told I couldn't because it was full service. The room we got had two double beds and it was tight! I could barely walk on my side of the bed. There was a door for an adjoining room and a child in the next room actually knocked on the door to tell me he could hear me! All I could say was, "I can hear you, too." I guess I was glad it was a nice, quiet kid. There were gaps under the doors to the adjoining and hallway, making for a lack of privacy and quiet. Room was dated. If we weren't so tired, I might have asked to switch rooms, but I don't know if it would have helped. There are much better places for the cost. I'd say go for something else.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Cathy P, Front Office Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank for you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience. I apologize that the stay was not up to your standards and will take your feedback and share it to our team. Our goal is to be the friendliest and cleanest. No matter what price any of our guests pay, they should enjoy their experience and the service that we provide. Please let me know the next time you are in Richmond so we can ensure you have an excellent stay.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have been staying at this Marriott at least two times a year since 2002. Why? The staff! It's a typical Marriott, with the rooms being a known quantity. But it's the service and helpfulness of the staff that keeps me coming.

Room Tip: Stay on the higher floors for a quieter stay. Depending on the time of year, you might want to ask i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback. We are glad to be your home away from home and look forward to continuing to see you twice a year for as long as you travel!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

First nice act started when we pulled up and we were greeted with parking options, including a much cheaper self park option in garage that is basically attached to the hotel. $8/day (no in and out) vs. $26 to valet made that an easy decision. He even offered to take our luggage while we parked.

Very friendly and easy check-in process. There were so many hotel staff though it was comical, they were all just standing around, but very friendly. We had a small issue with our room and when i brought it to their attention, they immediately offered to move our room. I was also offered a free breakfast and marriott bonus points as an apology. I didn't expect that at all and i felt the front desk staff person went above and beyond to address the issue.

The room was a good size for two people, with plenty of room to spread out. Bathroom was smaller, but still sufficient room for toiletries and such for 2 people. The temperature regulation was a bit off and I was either hot or cold, but not a huge deal for one night. The hotel decor is modern. I liked the waterfall feature in the lobby.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant. Again, very friendly staff. The buffet is pricey, as they usually are. It had a good selection of options with little touches like herbs in the eggs and a bananas foster sauce for pancakes. There is also a starbucks in the hotel.

Location is central, though downtown was completely dead at night. Walking on the streets was safe, but almost too quiet.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I travel to Richmond often on business trips and by far this i my first choice all the time. The front desk staff, the managers(gotta love them for going above and beyond), the shuttle drivers, the bellmen are all very pleasant and nice. Surely a place you would want to relax after a long work day. The gym is a little small but otherwise a well maintained property in Downtown and really safe. P.S. The beds are amazing !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad that you are able to enjyo our service and our new beds we installed last year! We hope to see you the next time you are in Richmond and continue to be your choice hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Downtown for three nights to attend a wedding that was nearby. Good things to say are as follows: Very clean rooms with very comfortable beds. Excellent and friendly service from all staff that was encountered during stay. Quick car valet service! Starbucks in lobby! Friendly bartenders and good bar food, as bar food goes. Central location for downtown. And now for the bad news: the hotel shuttle shuts down at 1pm on Friday and does not run for the week end. This is ridiculous as the very good hotel across the street has a shuttle service all week end.
Pay for Internet ? ridiculous ! Again, excellent hotel across street has free in room internet as do most places these days. I liked the hotel because the staff was excellent and friendly, BUT, Marriott should address the shuttle service, Especially in the summer and fall seasons and step up the internet service. That said, I would stay again or next door!

Room Tip: get a high floor to see a city view!