“One of the Best Marriotts I have stayed in Recently”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed at the beautiful Richmond Marriott while on the college tour with my children. The room we stayed in was very spacious and the management provided us with a cot at no additional charge. The workout facility was clean and very well appointed with plenty of the latest fitness equipment. The hotel has a large pool and hot tub that we took advantage of as well. Large bathrooms with a glass enclosed shower and jacuzzi tub. The service at the front desk and the valet/doormen was outstanding. The food and service on the Concierge level was excellent as well. I look forward to staying here while visiting my son at UR in the future. I am a current Gold member and a former Platinum and would rate this as one of my top 5 Marriotts stays that I have experienced on the East Coast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Richmond Marriott

Reviewed 17 August 2010

I stayed at the Marriott this past weekend to attend a show at the Convention Center. Overall I found this hotel to be a pretty typical convention/business hotel. Here are my impressions:

1. The area for parking your car at the front entrance to unload/load is very congested. In fact, cars have to be backed in to parking spots so the drive isn't blocked. I was not about to do this with all of the cars and people around, but the valet did it for me. It worked out but not the best.

2. Check-in was a snap. There was one person in front of the desk to handle questions so the person behind the desk just did the check-ins. Very fast, everything in order. By the time I finished checking in the bellman was there with our luggage.

3. Room - great furnishings including large flat screen TV, a side table by the easy chair (someplace to put your coffee, and usually missing in hotels), average size, perhaps on the small side. Bath - very small, could just about turn around in it but nicely furnished.

4. Cleanliness of the room - excellent!

5. Only problem with the room - we must have been at the end of the list to have the room made up each day. I returned to the room about 4 pm on a couple of days to take a little rest but the room was not made up. I didn't want to put the do not disturb sign up so I called the front desk and someone came quickly. But it seems like it should have been made up before 4 pm.

6. Concierge Lounge - We only got to use it one evening because it is closed after breakfast on Friday until Sunday evening. I know this is standard practice at most hotels but why? I guess weekend visitors don't count as much as those during the week. The food on that night and the next morning was great. Breakfast included the normal breads, cereals, etc but also had eggs, sausage, bacon - a nice buffet. Too bad we could only use the room twice.

7. Internet - since we were on the Club Level the Internet connection was free. Otherwise it was $12.95 in your room or free in public areas. Seems kind a expensive, especially since less expensive hotels routinely provide Internet connection at no charge.

8. Public Areas - beautiful, clean. Seems there was always someone mopping, sweeping, washing windows, etc. In fact I told my wife it seemed like we were on a cruise ship there was some much cleaning going on. But why vacuum the halls by guest rooms starting at 6:30 am?

9. Restaurant - the restaurant is a modern "sports bar" just off the lobby. My wife and I tried to have lunch there on Friday. We were promptly seated then waited. I asked one waitress to send someone over and after another 5 minute wait my wife asked another for help. But no one came. The room wasn't crowded and staff seemed to be scurrying about but no one bothered to help us. After 10 minutes we left. Very, very poor.

Almost as bad on Sunday am. I went to the buffet by myself. After being the seated the waitress came over and I ordered the buffet and an tomato juice. Last time I saw her until I got the bill. I went to the omelet station and waited for over 5 minutes before the chef came. He cooked a nice omelet but, of all things, he didn't have any plates, they had to be gotten at the buffet table, pretty poor planning.

While eating, I wanted a glass of water, but no waitress. I finally was able to get the attention of a busboy who promptly brought me a glass of water. Same thing when I wanted the check - no waitress finally got a busboy to get her with bill.

All in all, the restaurant was a disaster and I would not recommend it.

10 Shuttle: A shuttle is provided at no cost (tip to driver of course) to take you to the Shockoe area where there is a concentration of restaurants and bars. And it is a good thing the shuttle is available because there are only a couple of places to eat within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Bottom line: Would I stay here again? If attending a meeting at the Convention Center - definitely. Otherwise I would look elsewhere. Other than the Convention Center, there is not much in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My husband and I went to the Richmond Marriott for a work conference. Honestly, we couldn't find anything wrong with our stay there. The bell staff was really great and said hello to us whenever they were near. Our room was really clean and the view was ok considering we were over the porte cochere, looking at the roof. We're in the hospitality industry, and would definitely recommend this hotel to others. Oh, and the Starbucks in the lobby absolutely SOLD me on this visit! Way to go!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank tblovinlife08
MarriottManagement, General Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Richmond and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We look forward to seeing you again when/if your travels bring you back to the Richmond area.

Tom Underwood

Reviewed 2 July 2010

From the time of providing my keys to the valet and through check out, the service from the team was terrific. The subtle name recognition was astonishing from the front desk staff and the team members greeting you before asking them was very good. Overall the facility was very clean, but the service definitely exceeded my expectations. SInce I travel weekly and stay in many hotels, you should be proud of your standards of service. You could certainly teach many the basics of sincere service!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed at the Marriott Richmond for three nights on Father's Day Weekend with an amazing Marriott Rewards Rate ($89 including valet parking). Valet Parking was extremely convinient, just make sure you call 10 minutes before you are going to need your care. Staff was extremely friendly. Very nice room. Only negative was that on one night it seemed like there was a jumping jacks competion on top of our room. While it is true that the hotel is not in the nicest par of town, its is just a 5 minute car ride to a lot of nice areas in Richmond. Would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 6 June 2010

All right hotel, easy to get there; right on Broad st. Like others have reviewed, this hotel isn't in the nicest part of town; the nice areas are just a little bit to far to walk.

nice amenities in the rooms -- the usual standard fare. the sports bar downstairs is nice for a beer and a quick dinner. there are no other restaurants in the hotel. Check in and out are easy and quick. Nice bunch of people working there.

things to know: the hotel's parking is expensive ($19/day). There are self park options literally across the street. The internet access fee is high also ($12.50/24h).

If you have business in the downtown area or the convention center, this hotel will do the trick. but nothing to write home about

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We travel to Richmond several times a year and have stayed at various properties. A stay at this property several years ago was a disappointment, but after seeing TA's reports on their renovations we decided to try it again. This time it was everything we wanted and more!

The Marriott is right next to the convention center in downtown Richmond. The lobby has been renovated to an ultra modern level and there is an active bar/restaurant scene which seemed to be doing quite well. There also was a coffee shop and a gift shop in the lobby. We got a great weekend rate ($89) that includeed valet parking (which normally is $19 per night).

Check in was a breeze. Courteous and friendly valet attendants and front desk staff. We had asked for a King Room on a high floor and they had assigned a double room, but the check in clerk readily changed the room. We had a lovely large room, nicely decorated and with high end amenities -- coffee pot, robe, nice herbal bath products. The bed was very comfortable and the linens especially nice. The br/shower fixtures were beautiful and there was a hand held shower, which I love. Wtih everything so perfect, I can only recommend that they upgrade their bath towels. They were a little old and thin, but at least they were large. The view of our room also was perfect - a wonderful view of the city and the river beyond, and a great sunset.

When we left on Sunday morning we had called ahead for our car. It was waiting for us when we arrived in the lobby.

We are so happy that Marriott has a non-smoking policy throughout their properties in the US. It has made a big differnce in this hotel.

Congratulations Richmond Marriott. You have done well.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
MarriottManagement, General Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate you staying with us for a "weekend-away" and we're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you when your future travels bring you to Richmond.

Tom Underwood