“Worn Out”

Four Points by Sheraton Richmond
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Our group had business meetings here and what a disappointment. I am well traveled with Trip Advisor and always see more than I care too. But I also beleive this forum is share with fellow travelers the very good to bad and everything in between. This hotel is very lived in and needs alot of updating. My room on the 4th floor had wallpaper peeling off, water stains on the ceiling and the smaoke alarm pulling away from the wall. The bed was comfortable but the floor dirty. The hallways had not been vaccumed and the elevators were dirty too. I went to get coffee in the morning and waited at the restaurant for over 5 minutes to come and wait on me. I asked where the coffee was and the waiter showed me and poured me a cup. Then he wanted to know where to charge the coffee to. I have never in 3 years (and I travel 65%) had to pay for coffee as almost all hotels now have complimentary coffee. I told him to forget it and went to 7-Eleven accross the street. My room had an extension cord because the outlets were not working properly. Oh, if your a Starrwood memeber, don't expect any special treatment. I asled for a breakfast discount card and they said no. Other team memebers ate there one day and were disappointed in the average breakfast ticket was almost 15.00. For Breakfast! I sure hope they figure out to get their act together! When I was checking out, they were at least painting the ceiling in the lobby. Over guests heads that were sitting at the computer. Two compliments, one to Donell at the front desk and one to the nice lady bartender. they made my stay bearable.

Room Tip: Aks when you check in if your room has been udgrade and remolded.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
dschmoll, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. After checking into your comments I found that the room you were assigned was not to be rented as it was out of service for repairs it was put back in order in error. The photos you posted is not a true reflection on our hotel as is evident in the numerous positive posting on Starwood and other social media sites. I do apologize that you were given a room that should not have been available and hope you will try us again.

Dennis Schmoll

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I've stayed at this Sheraton twice during the past two years on business. The rooms are nice, the beds comfortable. The restaurant service though, is terrible. Our first visit actually involved a full refund of our group's dinner because two hours later we still didn't have all of our food - and ours was the only table in the restaurant. Our second visit involved a person in our party coming down with the stomach flu just after eating breakfast. Overall, this isn't a place I'd recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am a musician on tour with one other person, and usually I don't trust Hotwire Hot Rates even though they're lower price because I like to know where I'm staying before I book. But the rate was too good on this one to pass up so I took the shot. We ended up at the Sheraton and man were we impressed! We are used to Days Inn, Quality Inn, etc. hotels of that nature because of our tour budget. We were blown away by how upscale this hotel was. Located right off the main road there but set back enough that there's no noise. The lobby was beautiful. Check in was very fast and very efficient and the man at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful in explaining all the amenities at the hotel. We loaded up one of the bell carts with all our gear that we didn't want to leave in the car, and had no problem getting everything to the room quickly. Many reviewers have pointed out that they saw a police car sitting outside and a cop in the lobby. One gave this hotel a one star review solely because of that. Are you nuts? If you'd taken the time to do your research, you'd see that this hotel uses Richmond police as security at night. That should make you feel MORE safe, not less. The rooms were very comfortable and the bed was great as were the bathrooms, and contrary to another reviewers post, the WIFI was very good and had no problem loading pages quickly. I was so impressed that the following night (last night) I trusted the Hotwire Hot Rates again and got another awesome hotel. So thank you Sheraton for giving me faith in Hotwire Hot Rates haha.

Long story short: I highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
dschmoll, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments, it's always great to hear that our guest enjoy themselves during their travels. We appreciate your comment on our security as we have had this program in place for the past seven years and it has never been an issue. Thank you again and hope to see you back in the future.

Dennis Schmoll

Reviewed 15 July 2013

WIFI was not reliable - and was too slow for VPN access to my office, making it impossible to get work done. I tried several locations in the hotel to no avail. Hotel staff acknowledged problems with slowness. It seemed to fade in and out. Eventually, later in the evening, I was able to work, but had lost a few hours attempting to connect. Also, the desk chair was way too low, and broken. I would have requested another chair but I changed hotels instead. (I did stay a second night with the hopes that the WIFI issue would have improved, but it did not).

Hotel staff was very friendly! Reasonable prices, and reasonably clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I rarely take the time to write a review after a hotel stay however wanted to take a moment and recognize the great customer service provided by Mariam. We checked in on June 27th and she was at the front desk. I asked her if our room had a refrigerator to which she responded it did not. I explained that I had medication that I needed to keep cold, she continued to look but all available rooms with a ‘fridge’ had 1 King bed, and my husband and son were with me. She then offered me to use the hotel refrigerator, which I thought, ok - inconvenient but what choice did I have? A few minutes later Mariam said she found a room on the 7th floor, with two double beds, a ‘fridge’ and upgraded me. She explained that she understood it was important to keep the medication cold and wanted to help in any way she could. I just really appreciated her going the extra mile, exceeding expectations. First impressions are lasting and I must express the positive impression Mariam made on me. She truly seemed happy to be at the Sheraton and I will definitely consider this dog friendly hotel in my future travels down to North Carolina. Please make mention to Mariam that I truly appreciated her efforts and she should be recognized by the company as an exemplary associate representing the Sheraton Brand well.

Room Tip: Seventh Floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is in a great location. This is our second stay in this hotel. This time we paid extra for the club lounge. It was worth it because the buffet was expensive and a hassle. The room was on the seventh floor as was the lounge. We had a microwave and a fridge. With two young milk-loving children the lounge would have been great but they ran out of milk on the second day. Gigi and Sandy in the lounge were accommodating and tried to stock the lounge with what guest liked. However, there were issues. Firstly, none of the staff should be using cell phones when working. On numerous occasions I saw the employees talking and texting while working. One employee was hosing the front of the hotel and talking on his phone for twenty five minutes and was yanking on the hose without watching what he was doing. On another occasion I saw a front-desk personnel the texting and ignoring a guest. I left a note for housekeeping and it was ignored. I called housekeeping and the request were addressed within an hour. Typically a note is all that is needed but not at this hotel. i will add that i had mentioned the request to the front-desk and they clearly did not pass it along to housekeeping. The employees need to be more focused on 100% service because there are so many options in the area and this hotel is really run down. The trail was covered with feces from the geese. The Internet connection in the club lounge does not work. I will say we ordered room service and it was delicious. I was not happy that we were charged 21% service charge even though the menu said 18% in addition to the $3.00 delivery charge. The beds were comfortable. They do allow pets and they do have feather pillows and down comforters so beware if you or your children are sensitive. They do accommodate request but I suggest mentioning it when booking. Would I come back, probably not.

Room Tip: Beware if you have animal dander allergies!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights over July 4th weekend to attend a wedding off Robious Rd as part of 30-35 people in our party. Overall, this full service hotel handled our on site activities very well.

Staff very friendly & attentive, especially in bar and for breakfast. Hotel is nice, but showing some age with respect to design and furnishings. Pool is small so decking got crowded a couple of times. We had almost all of the 2nd floor along with a hospitality suite which was a great gathering place after dinner each night. Breakfast package is a very good deal as buffet includes omelet & waffle chef along with what you would normally expect sans grits. Shopping at Shirt Pump Town Center mall is a 15 minute ride and plenty of good restaurant options within 15 minute ride. Needed pants hemmed in a hurry and even found that at Ace Tailors nearby.

Only questionable item was why was it deemed necessary to park a Midlothian Police car near the front door on Friday night? Should that have made me feel nervous or more secure.

Will return if I need to be back in this area.

• Stayed: July 2013
dschmoll, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor, we appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments, it;s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay. In regard to the police car in front of the hotel, our overnight security is Chesterfield police officers and they do park their car in front of the hotel, we hope that this does not discourage you from returning and we hope to see you back soon.