“A hit, but also a miss”

Four Points by Sheraton Richmond
Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked this hotel in a pinch due to a mini crisis in our vacation plans. The hotel has some hits:
1. Pet friendly
2. Decent location
3. Trail to walk yourself/pets
4. Ability to walk to Applebee's from parking lot
5. Friendly staff
6. Free parking

But, it also had some misses:
1. Small pool
2. No hot tub
3. Mediocre rooms
4. Cleaning staff seems to miss items

All in all, I would stay here again in a pinch, If i had time to look for another hotel, I would look longer before booking. We booked solely on location, price and the fact they are pet friendly.

Room Tip: The two queen rooms are nice. Average, but nice. The 5th floor ice and vending machines were not wor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stay at this hotel each year. It is a bargain. This year it was just gross. We went to the pool once. There were 3 dead frogs floating in the pool. Isn't that someone's job to keep the pool clean? The front desk was cold and uninviting (staff not decor). It was clear they really did not enjoy their jobs. The club lounge was a great place to get drinks but nothing more. Breakfast was fair but in the evenings the snacks were uninspired. One time they had jalapeño poppers. A guest stopped me before I served my children (lounge attendant was gone). The roof had a water stain. The fitness room had a massive leak and they had a huge trash can collecting the runoff that was pouring down. I left because electricity and water don't mix, hey that may have been where the dead frogs came from (latter was a joke). I guess the real joke is on me because it was not a great stay. I'd rather stay at the Westin but the location here is great. Don't say I didn't say something nice.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014

When I stayed here last year I swore it would be the last time because of the utter lack of care that is evident in the way the property is maintained and operated.

Having read comments from the hotel management about all of the renovations and improvements over the past year though, I decided to give it another shot. Well, as they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

The young lady at the check-in desk was very friendly and pleasant, and I was given room 615. In my room, the Guest Services book on the desk was literally falling apart due to a broken binding clip, and half of the pages were upside-down or backwards. In addition, the cover of the book was dirty and sticky, with what I don't want to know. The clock-radio on th bedstand was not even plugged into a wall outlet. The wall lamp on the left side of the bed didn't work. When I moved the night stand to see if it was plugged in (it was but still didn't work), I found someone's eyeglass case that had fallen back there who knows how long ago. Obviously, housekeeping hadn't cleaned there in awhile. There was a small fridge/freezer in the room, but the freezer was almost completely frozen over. For some reason, the main smoke/fire detector on the ceiling was covered with a plastic bag. The vent over the bathtub was filthy, and obviously hadn't been cleaned in months. The desklamp had a hole in its base, where it looks like a switch or jack had once been but had been broken off at some point; just the kind of thing a small child would be tempted to stick a finger in and get a nice shock. The bathtub didn't drain properly, so five or ten minutes into my shower I was ankle-deep in water. I'm not making this stuff up-- just take a look at some of the photos.

How do these kinds of things go completely unnoticed and uncorrected by the housekeeping and maintenance staffs? Because they simply don't care, which seems to be the running theme in this hotel.

Unfortunately, the disappointments didn't stop with my room. When I joined by business colleagues at breakfast the next morning, I had to serve myself a glass of OJ from the waiter stand because there was no server in evidence to take my order. There was an omelette station, but nobody was manning it. When I took a plate from the stack next to the buffet, it already had food on its bottom. While we at our table eating, the waitress came over and announced that she would be off making room service deliveries, so wouldn't be around for a bit. Really-- there is only one person to serve the dining room AND room service orders? Yep, this hotel really cares about providing top-notch guest service.

As evidenced by most of the other reviews, there is so much wrong with this hotel, most of which points to simple carelessness on the part of the management and housekeeping staff. There's no way the condition of the rooms and carpets can be in that state unless it is being intentionally ignored by the staff. And if that's the normal condition of the things I can see, I cringe at the thought of the things in this hotel that I CAN'T see.

This Sheraton property needs MAJOR updating and a management team that cares.

I really wanted to give this hotel another chance because it's very convenient to a business destination I travel to frequently, but after this I won't be back. There are plenty of other hotel options in the area that are actually interested in providing a positive guest experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank P
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We have been with SPG for 10 years now. We are also platinum members. Every time we come to this location we always seem to have a problem with getting a suite up grade. They like to treat members like second class citizens. This hotel has gone down hill. When we first stayed here years ago it was a nice decent place to stay. Now no so much. It needs to be remodels but the hotel refuses to spend the money to do so. Oh the lobby is nice but that has far as it goes. This hotel is not worth the money you spend. For a Sheraton hotel I am disappointed. We also travel with a pet so they stuck you in rooms where they smell like dog and like your membership don't matter. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I wish I hadn't pre paid for our room or I would have left. We will not be back again. I can get better treatment at a Weston then I do here. They at least appreciate my business and take care of me.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Found a roach that was three inches long.. Took it to the front desk where they thought we were pranking them! Heck no it was the biggest roach I have ever seen in my life.. My children were scared out of there minds they refused to sleep in the room.. All the rooms were booked and we were unlucky and couldnt switch rooms.. I dont recommend the hotel... Its filthy!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This property boast some great rates and it has the classic sheraton beds and amenities, but the property is REALLY OLD. I only stay here, sometimes, because of the price. Don't expect to be wowed at all. Its not a bad hotel for the price though. All of the rooms I've stayed in here show some serious wear, as does almost every aspect of the hotel.

Room Tip: AA rate often only 79$
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Attended a wedding then stayed over night in the room block. It was horrible. I am related to the bride and her contact (Mary Beth) was absolutely horrendous to work with. She never returned calls. She would call them and demand them to come up and make their payment but then not be there when they to pay. Pretty outrageous to demand money then not be there? She made the entire wedding planning process and day of horrible. We tried to get the deposit back but she refused and when we asked to speak to a superior. She hung up...RUDE. Word of advice -- never go to this falling apart and dilapidated hotel. If Mary Beth is a representation of the hotel...it is trash!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family