“I was pleasantly surprised”

Four Points by Sheraton Richmond
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“I was pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

I "won" this hotel on Priceline at a very reasonable price. Then I looked up the reviews on Tripadvisor and was quite nervous. Frankly, I don't get the bad reviews. I travel on business often and found this hotel to be much above average. The hotel lobby is newly renovated and lovely. There are beautiful view if you ar facing the back. The linens etc were up there with the better hotels. So, don't listen to what you have read if you have planned to stay here. I was pleasantly surprised and will stay here in the future when in town. The only down side is the usual hotel fare in the restaurant and there are no good dining places within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

We were to arrive on a Wednesday night, but we missed our flight and did not arrive until the following day. Manager would not give us a refund for the night we were not there. When we ran out of coffee in our room, my husband asked where he could get a cup and was told that he could get one for a dollar in the restuarant. Also, my daughter needed to send a file to her professor, but the hotel's internet was down. We will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
nlaudani, Director of Revenue at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Many of our promotional and limited time offer rates are non refundable. Details of these specific rates are listed on the rate description and the terms and conditions sections. We do our best to alert potential guests when they are booking a non refundable rate.
During periods of severe weather, we occasionally lose connection to our internet service. On average, this will last 30 minutes to one hour.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

I got a deal staying here through Hotwire. I travel a lot with my kids to go to swim meets, and am not picky. Just want a clean place to stay.

Hotel looks fab on first glance, but if you look closely, they really need to do a punch list and address many small issues.

Place is pretty beat up. Our room had a huge dent in the wall-like someone had body slammed it, but due to the wallpaper, you could only see it when the light was right. There were scrapes elsewhere on the walls and grout pulling out of the tiles in the bathroom. In common areas there was crown moulding coming down, huge bangs and scrapes from luggage carts. The area where you push the button for the elevator was filthy.

They offer free wireless Internet, but it is S L O W. Forget about watching anything that streams...video, etc. Connection is bad. To me, this is pretty lame. It isn't that hard to ensure that connectivity is good throughut the building.

The most aggravating thing that happened was being misinformed about breakfast. We were on a specific time schedule, so I asked the desk staff what time breakfast was, and was told 6:30 a.m. The next morning there was another family waiting, and questioned the manager about the time of breakfast. He said 7. We both stated that we were told 6:30, and he got defensive. There is a sign posted at the desk that says 6:30, but he said the sign was wrong. I told him that I didn't look at the sign-I asked. The next morning...the incorrect sign was still there.

I would stay here again for convenience, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than $75 to $80 per night. I got it for $54 via Hotwire.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

It was my first trip to Richmond. I loved the hotel as soon as I saw their lobby. They have the new Sheraton Link which came in very handy for me.

I was there for several nights. When their staff found out I had never been to Richmond they were all eager to help me get familiar with the surroundings. When I wanted dinner, not only did they recommend their on-site restaurant, Cafe Palm, but also nearby restaurants to which they provided complimentary shuttle service. The food at the hotel was quite good, especially the Breakfast Buffet with the omelet and waffle station.

My room was spacious and I appreciated the white linens which gave the room a fresh, clean appearance. The bed was great...and I found out you can buy the mattress on line. I also really enjoyed the large flat screen television complete with HDTV...better than I have at home!

I plan to return to Richmond later in the year and will definitely book my room at the Sheraton Park South.

• Liked — ROOMS
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

Unacceptable staff. Extremely unprofessional. Several staff members carried on personal conversations, or discussed operational items directly in front of hotel guests. Picture the opposite of unobtrusive. That's the hotel staff. Cheap Suits and in your way, the whole time, not realizing that internet, breakfast, and serenity are all expected from hotels these days.

Rooms are decent, comfortable beds. The area around the hotel is run down and old. Don't choose this area unless you absolutely have to. Parking is free, breakfast is either $9.00 for continental, or $11.00 for full buffet, which is about the equivalent of any other free hotel continental breakfast. Don't bother with the rest of the hotel restaurants, chances are they will be closed just like they were during my stay. I guess there weren't enough guests to keep the restaurant open. Perhaps they shouldn't advertise it then.

You can find this hotel on Hotwire. 3*** Midlothian area. There is a Holiday Inn Select, about three minutes away, Holiday Inn Koger Center. That may be a better choice.

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — $11 Internet, $11 Breakfast, Bad Value, Bad Staff, Bad Location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
md
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

Horribly rude and unprofessional front desk staff. They were argumentative with guests and seemed to be poorly educated when it came to the hospitality portion of the hotel business. I would never stay here again. The food in the restaurant is not worth the money spent. The bathroom tiles were falling off of the wall revealing holes and the cleaning staff failed to remove washcloths used by the previous guests. There is a beautiful Hilton about three or four blocks away and I am sure the Best Western across the street is a much better bet!

• Stayed November 2008
3 Thank amf8
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed there on Nov 6 and 7 as part of a wedding. We saw two bugs on one of the bed and little did we know these were bedbugs! We had never seen one before despite the fact that we both travel all the time in the US and abroad. Two days later my boyfriend had the "classical" triple bedbug bites in his torso and arms, and in another couple of days he had such a bad reaction to them they were huge red circles and he had a fever. The hotel told me that bedbugs have become "a reality in the hotel industry" and that the general manager would call me on Monday. Not only did he not call me but he didn't respond to my second call and voicemail. When I finally got him on the phone, he told me that he needs to get an exterminator to confirm that there are bedbugs in the room. He did not even apologize for the unpleasant experience and laughed when I asked him to fax me the report showing he requested a third party check. For talking to a customer, he sure was disrespectful and obnoxious, and utterly unsympathetic. For all I know, the hotel could have changed the mattress since they had had 4 days since I first called them.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bedbugs and general manager attitude
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple