“Excellent staff and a good hotel for a Convention”

DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
“Excellent staff and a good hotel for a Convention”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel from 4/25-4/27. I was there for a convention, and I found it to be a very pleasant experience. The staff were very nice, and check in took mere minutes. My room was exceptionally clean, well appointed, and new. Room service was good and on time. The room air conditioning was thermostat controlled and plentiful.

The restaurant was nice, with a good buffet or cook to order breakfast. It was in the $12-$15 range. Not inexpensive but a good range of items. The rooms for our convention were clean, well lit and pleasant. The hotel was within a block of restaurants, fast food and gas stations. I would still recommend a car.

The hotel offered free wifi, which was a big deal these days. The only negative points were a slow elevator, which did break down on Saturday afternoon for a short period of time, and what I saw as a lack of stairs. Usually there are stairs near elevators. These were at the opposite ends of the hallway, one per wing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tina B, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking valuable time out of your day to share such wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. These kinds of comments help us tremendously, as potential new travelers to our area read them and make their choices based on what you have to say! We are thrilled that your stay went so beautifully! We do put a huge amount of pride in our ability to provide a warm welcome, a clean, comfortable room, and an experience that each guest remembers. The elevator breakdown was unfortunate and luckily happens very rarely at our hotel, and yes, the stairs are located at either end of the building, which was a design necessity originally, to allow not one but TWO sets of stairs for the large number of people we accommodate, to facilitate easy access and evacuation in the unlikely event it's needed. I am sorry it was a rather inconvenient during the elevator issue. We hope that you return to us again, so that we get another opportunity to provide you with another unforgettable experience! Thank you again for sharing, and for choosing our newly renovated DoubleTree by Hilton hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Va/Nc Border
Reviewed 27 April 2014

OK, I just stayed several days here for a convention and feel duty-bound to write this review. I have not run into a better hotel staff in years...including world travel. From the front desk to the restaurant, they bent over backwards and did so right away...no calling again 2 hours later to check on some request...they know the meaning of the word NOW. The restaurant was simple and low key but everything was excellent, fresh and the staff could not have been nicer.

My room was spotless and the bedding was the best hotel bed and quality, luxury bedding I've run into in recent memory. Ok, a complaint...we had multiple tornado warnings and the fire alarm hurt my delicate ears...so blame mother nature.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat!! First time here, and no I have no relatives who work there...heck my mapquest screwed up and I had a hard time finding anything...darned mapquest...and no I won't get a GPS!

I coulda just stayed in the room, had a drink at the bar and eaten with the friendly staff at the restaurant and not gone out the door. I woulda been happy. Fridge and coffeemaker in room, nice big desk, wi-fi worked great...I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Tina B, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you found our staff, our service, our rooms, and our bedding, to be all that you expected, and more. We pride ourselves on extraordinary customer service, in a newly renovated environment, as a proud new Hilton product! We thank you so much for sharing your positive experience and are glad to hear that you will be returning to us at some point - we value all of our customers but we do love to see returning guests.....which provides us with another opportunity to make you feel welcome and at home!
Sunnyvale, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We checked into our rooms #407 & 409 on 4/10/14. Front desk clerk failed to inform us that construction was taking place the following day on the floor beneath our rooms. We were awakened at 8:00 a.m. the following morning by construction taking place. We were terribly upset to have our sleep disturbed so early in the morning. We called the front desk to complain of the noise. They apologized and informed there was nothing that can be done and construction will be an all day project. It was our first time visit to the east coast since we were attending my niece's wedding. We are terribly disappointed to experience this type of treatment from a high end hotel. We have stayed at many hotels and never experienced a stay so disappointing like we have at this location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We are so sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your recent stay at our hotel. I know that we did address your concerns as soon as we were alerted of them....and I know that we did apologize in person, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you were woken up. We were at the very end of a period of guestroom improvements, and had planned specifically on working during the day on the Friday,, to avoid having to work during the weekend and disturb even more guests. We also assumed that many of our Friday guests would be away from the hotel during the day, but of course there will always be exceptions. There was never truly a good time for us to carry out the last remaining part of the work, and our goal was to finish as quickly as possible during day-time hours so that we could provide a peaceful and relaxing weekend for the majority of our guests. Again, we are sorry that you were inconvenienced and do want you to know that this was a very rare occurrence. We do hope that if you are in this area again, you will put your trust in us once more and allow us to offer you an upgraded room and a much more peaceful experience.
Washington, DC, United States
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed overnight after a wedding so we weren't there for too long, but the service at the front desk and around the hotel was great. Everyone was friendly. They helped us find a taxi as soon as we checked in as they knew we were running late. (When I called from the car because we were running so late they were so nice I even commented to my husband - "Wow they were so nice!") I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tina B, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel via TripAdvisor. These kinds of reviews help potential travelers make hotel choices, and so it is very helpful to us when our next potential guest reads encouraging comments, like yours. We do pride ourselves on exceptional customer service, and we are glad that you experienced this during your recent visit. Thank you so much for choosing our beautifully renovated hotel for your stay, and again, for sharing your wonderful feedback! We hope to see you again soon.
United States
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very louds guests from 1:00 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. on my floor.I had to keep calling front desk to come to 5th floor to stop all the loud laughing, hollering, and whistling going on. The guest were from a wedding party. After fourth call to front desk, staff hung phone up on me. Security kept saying they didn't see anything. Yet I could see the loud guests from my hotel door peep hole. I opened my door to see what was going on. I could see that the young people were all intoxicated. I immediately went back into my room. I didn't get much sleep.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We are so sorry that you experienced noise concerns at our hotel during your recent visit. It is our goal to ensure that all guests enjoy a comfortable night's sleep, and we realize how upsetting it is when this does not occur due to noise being made by other hotel guests. We did address the noise issues with the party concerned, and we are sincerely sorry that things did not quieten down for you. These kinds of things occur rarely, but other than removing the entire party from the hotel, it is sometimes hard to control these situations. I promise you that we do our best, and in this case I am sorry that we let you down. We do hope that you will return to our hotel at some point, and provide us with an opportunity to earn your trust again, by giving you a restful night, in an upgraded room. Please reach out to me if you plan to travel to this area area (tina.bell@hilton.com), and in the meantime, please accept our very sincere apologies for your discomfort. If you would be kind enough to call me at the hotel 804-379-3800, I'd like an opportunity to apologize in person. Many thanks for sharing your concerns.
Virginia Beach, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was there over night for training. I loved being greeted with a warm cookie and quick check in service. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The food was good and reasonable. The conference room was well set up and the staff were well prepared. It was a pleasant experience.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tina B, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to post a positive and encouraging review on Trip Advisor, after your recent experience at our hotel. There is nothing that we like to hear more - that your trip was successful and all aspects of it were enjoyable. We put a huge emphasis on providing impeccable service at our newly renovated hotel, and we are thrilled to hear that you were a happy recipient of such service. We do hope that you visit us again, and when you do, please reach out so that we can thank you in person - tina.bell@hilton.com Many thanks!
Chesapeake, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Sorry I dont like leaving bad reviews, and I never had but the bed sheets were dirty from the last people that stayed and there was a dead bug on the sheet as well. I did call the front desk and they did get someone to come change the sheets. Bed to soft for me to sleep on, did not sleep well at all.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tina B, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Richmond-Midlothian, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so much for providing us with feedback from your recent stay. I must say I am completely horrified to hear that you experienced this awful situation with us....and I am being completely honest when I also say that this experience is normally unheard of, at our hotel. There is no excuse at all for this, and we are following up at our end with the Department concerned and that Department Head. Please accept our sincere apologies for this oversight and please know that we take this kind of complaint very seriously and will be making 100% no such thing occurs again. We do hope that the rest of your stay went well and we do appreciate your reaching out. We hope you will choose us again at some point so that we may earn your trust back, as that is very important to us. Thank you again, and we truly are very sorry.