“Rude, obnoxious staff. Awful hotel. Horrible customer service. Made my sister cry on her wedding day.”

Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road
Ranked #40 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My sister got married in Richmond, and as her matron of honor, one of the things I helped her out with was finding a hotel near the reception for the out-of-town guests to stay in, and hopefully one with a bar so that we could continue the fun there after the reception. I found this hotel and it seemed great and I called the sales office and they were very friendly and helpful. Laura, the head of their sales department said they had a big bar/restaurant area that they'd be happy to keep open until 2am for all of us since we had just a big group coming. My sister called to make the wedding room-block reservations and Laura said the same thing - of course they'd keep the bar open for all of us. So all of us made reservations at the hotel based on the fact that they said they would keep the bar open - we were trying to be safe and not drive anywhere under the influence.
My sister and her new husband arrived at the hotel first and checked into their room. Then they went down to the bar and got some drinks and all of their friends started trickling in. I know they were really looking forward to this time with friends because, for anyone who's been married before, sometimes you don't get to talk to everyone you'd like to during the actual reception, so I know they were looking forward to catching up with friends they hadn't seen in a long time, especially ones who had come from out-of-town.
But then, at 11:30 or so, they said they were closing the bar. All of us had just gotten there. My sister and her husband told the bar staff that Laura, from sales, had told them the bar would be open until 2am for all of us. They demanded that my sister show them an email from Laura...sure, like she'll just pull it out of her wedding dress. Apparenlty there had been some miscommunication between sales/management and the bar staff that night. No one in our group was being rude, obnoxious or was too drunk. All of us had just gotten to the hotel and most of us hadn't even gotten a drink yet. The bar staff told my sister it was "too bad" and that they'd have to leave - they were extremely rude - obnoxiously rude. She started crying. They started taking people's drinks and food out of their hands. The bar staff was not only stupid (they could have made more money from us that night in tips than they probably would in a whole week), but they had no heart. How would you kick out a bride in her wedding dress who's crying?
The front desk staff was not much more helpful. They said there was nothing they could do and were also being very rude to everyone. My husband and I said we wanted to cancel our room since the whole reason for staying at the hotel was because we were planning to be at the bar until late. At that point, we were both stone sober (we had both had 1 drink at the reception 3 hours earlier - I had to give a speech at the reception so I was purposefully not drinking). . We were also very polite considering the circumstances. The girl at the front desk told us we were drunk. Angry does not mean drunk. She then said she was going to cancel our room like we had asked. When I called the next day, she hadn't done it. She had lied to us.
Awful experiece all around. I definitely wouldn't book any wedding blocks at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank megpeg11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel twice in three months. This May 31st stay I was alone and wanted to write a review since I enjoyed my stay here. The location is on 95 is just south of Richmond main city. The staff is great, check in was a breeze. Everyone always said hello and made me feel welcome and safe. Consider trying the Holiday Inn Restaurant which is called The Sporting News Grill for dinner and breakfast, I did mainly because I was alone, and it was surprisingly good with a nice waitress both times. The menu is varied and I had a vegetarian item for dinner, with a nice glass of red wine for a very reasonable price and the veggie skillet for breakfast. Locals came in to eat there so I figured it would be pretty good.
The room is newly decorated, great bed, nice pillows, nice fridge, microwave, large flat TV and a very pretty pool outside with a spray fountain. I enjoyed watching a family enjoying an evening swim.
I will definitely be returning again soon on my way South.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank SeeourUSA
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My overwhelming impression, from a two-night stay, was of a property where pleasant, earnest front desk and housekeeping staff had been abandoned by an absentee management which simply didn't care. My room was clean and attractive, but there were TWO non-working bedside table lamps, a toilet that repeatedly hung up, and a bathroom fan that never shut off. (Not much fun when you need to get to sleep.) The business center was adequate, but it proved impossible to use the multi-purpose printer to PRINT – and the young lady at the desk was unable to correct this. I had other issues. There was the bizarre decision to make FOX News the default station whenever the TV was turned on. And the obvious attempt to steer guests to the on-site sports restaurant, by offering no in-room refrigerator or microwave, and no complimentary breakfast. All in all, a two-star hotel masquerading as something better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Brabantio
Okeechobee,Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2011

With easy access to hwy 95 this hotel is perfect for traveling. This hotel looks brand new, its rooms are good size,very clean, with everything you need aka.. fridge,microwave coffeemaker and really comfortable beds.. The Sporting News Grill is a great addition, it had great food and a friendly staff. Its menu stretches the gauntlet to cover a variety entrees for kids as well as adults. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but I had to retrieve my own rollaway bed ( which was a one piece bed extremely light, brand new with no crossbar in the middle , my daughter said it was the best) because evidently it is Holiday Inns policy that only one person is working at this hotel during the weekends. In order for them to get someone anything during the weekend they have to close the front doors and shut down the desk. Rather than ask them to do that I just told the girl that I would carry the bed up to the second floor, although I have to question Holiday Inns concern for their employee and patrons safety, especially in an emergency situation. All in all though this is a great hotel especially for the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ErininOkeechobee
Round Hill, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My husband and I traveled to Richmond for a Garden Show. After checking online, the reviews were pretty good for this Holiday Inn. Location not great, lindustrial with nowhere to eat, except in the Hotel Restaurant....terrible food, travel for a meal! The room was clean and seemed comfortable, at first. Time for bed.....the bed was so hard, felt like we were sleeping on the floor...that might have been more comfortable. AND the A/C was so loud, if you did dose off, it woke you up when it started up to recycle. OMG we were exhausted by morning. My husband complained to the front desk. Her comment was "never heard a complaint like that before". No apology or attempt to make things right. I definitely would warn travelers to seek other places to stay.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank Antique4fun
Dawnita B, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Suzanne C,

Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback. I am sorry that your experience at the Holiday Inn Richmond-South fell short. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience, so we can address the specifics of your stay. Please contact the Operations Manager at 804-592-2900. We value all comments so that we may continually improve guest experience. We pride ourselves in having clean rooms and I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.

Respectfully,

Dawnita Bernier
state college
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Not very good responding to email inquries. Never heard from mgr regarding issue but his front desk team was great in spite of mgr. Resturant/sportsbar closes at 10pm n o drinks allowed to leave resturant without hotel employee escort.

Room Tip: 410 odd smell bathroom vent
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank i-sell-weather
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I could never fault a hotel for the conduct of other guests. I can fault a hotel for not picking up the phone at the front desk for hours on end when I called to complain about how loud another group of guests is being. The problem only went away after I called the police at 3am and they came to the hotel to take care of the issue.

The morning 'manager' was rude and acted like I was inconveniencing him by asking why no one would pick up the phone and if he knew the police came to his property. He was clueless to both, but promised to follow up on why the issue occured. I am still waiting for that follow up.

Looks like I will need to find another hotel for my frequent stop overs in Richmond. I would highly recomend that you also find another place to stay in this area.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel for the best room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple